Good Holiday Reads
10 months ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (20)
- 10 months ago
Related Discussions
Holiday of Roses (fun reading)
Comments (5)I think it's odd that although the roses are only grown in private fields today, that there should be fields that are completely fallow. Doesn't anyone own these? Maybe it's an investment opportunity :) Still, it sounds like there's plenty to see and do if you participate in the festival. There must be people who open their operations to the public at that time of year. Transylvania is just a hop, skip and a jump away... roses and vampires, what could be more romantic?!...See MoreBest ever holiday baked goods?
Comments (21)The best coffee cake ever. I can get my husband to do anything if I make him this cake :-). The best thing is it freezes extremely well. In fact, DH says it's even better after being frozen. Vanilla Steusel Coffee Cake 3 cups all purpose flour 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 1/2 cups softened butter 1 1/2 cups sugar 3 eggs 1 1/2 cups sour cream 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar 3/4 cups chopped nuts (I prefer walnuts in this) 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon 2 tablespoons vanilla mixed with 2 tablespoons water Preheat oven to 325. Butter 10 inch bundt cake pan. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and set aside. Combine butter and sugar in large bowl and beat until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in sour cream and vanilla. Gradually add sifted dry ingredients and beat well. Combine brown sugar, nuts and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Turn 1/3 of batter into the bundt cake pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the nut mixture. Repeat Add remaining batter and spoon diluted vanilla over top. Bake 60-70 minutes. Cool completely before removing from pan. Sometimes some of the cake sticks to the pan. Use flexible spatula and put back on cake. It's not noticable, and once you taste it you won't care....See MoreHappy Holidays and Good bye!!
Comments (2)As far as I know this board will still be free. Some of the boards are going to a paid membership, but, at this point nothing has been mentioned for this board. Happy Holidays ~Pam...See MoreAre the Holidays a Good Time for Mending Relationships
Comments (27)Hello organic brice, I was sick over the holiday. My husband called his father (his father never calls him) prior to the holiday. He said he didn't hear from his sister (only when she is needy and wants something). I called my mother prior to the holiday. No contact of any kind with the sisters. His aunt sent him an email (about the weather) and a few pics with the grandchildren (nothing else). He received an email from a cousin (sporadic emails) with a few sentences. Nothing else and nothing different--the status quo as usual. My husband doesn't want to rock-the-boat. They all want to pretend--the status quo is easier than to accept personal responsibility. I don't have the energy to cope and deal with any of them. I no longer care to try because they will never take responsibility. I used to try to make attempts, but this backfired and resulted in anger, rage and hostility. I was an easy scapegoat and the target of their rage, malice and misery. I think my husband okay with this (he says it isn't, but he doesn't talk to them about their unacceptable behaviors). He says, they will not change and they are a lost cause, etc. I find it easier and less emotionally stressful to stay away and avoid contact. It takes more than one person to find a solution and by their actions they have clearly demonstrated that they are unwilling to the invest time and energy into improving relationships. The status quo and pretending is their preferred outcome. A few years ago, my husband's step-mother sent him an email letting him know that she had left his father. He told me that at first he thought it was a joke. He called her and found out otherwise. The problem had been brewing for a long time, but he ignored it. She sent a Thanksgiving card addressed to Mr. & Mrs. with an inside note to him and me. I noticed that his father's name wasn't on the card and his name wasn't on the return address. (She sporadically sent cards to my husband for his B-day and Xmas and signed them from his father and her). She never acknowledged me. Then she sent another card for Xmas and it was basically the same, except this time, on the inside note she wrote my name first, instead of his. She'd never done this before (she'd never communicated to me, as it was always to him), so I took notice. I asked him what's up, and then he told me that two months prior she had left his father. I asked why he never said anything to me, and he made some excuse, saying he thought it wasn't important. To make a long story short, I repeatedly asked him throughout the year, if he was going to contact her (they had each other's emails and phone numbers--she would forward him email jokes) and all of her prior communication was to him. He told me there were a few emails, but really nothing to speak of. He'd made comments about her, which I felt were negative. I think he felt he had to choose sides (this is a consistent and very destructive behavior pattern), or else pay the price and as is typical of his behaviors--he didn't want to deal with it. He always told me his parents were the, "Do as I say, don't do as I do types". They make unreasonable demands and do not care who it hurts or the destruction it creates. I had health issues and surgery, so almost a year later I wrote her myself (I did not tell him). I finally had an opportunity to speak my peace, without his interference or control and she responded. She mainly vented her anger and frustration about his family--his father's manipulation and control and his sister's manipulative behaviors. She said that she had always stood up for me (to all his relatives), something that I never knew and was unaware of. She told me that she didn't want anything to do with their hateful, cruel and malicious existence. (This was his father's 3rd wife). If she told my husband about how she stood up for me, it was information which he never shared. I do know that she was upfront with him and direct about his sister's manipulative conduct. This was something that he did tell me about. I wrote again, but she didn't respond. I let her know that if she wanted to see me alone, I would be willing to do that, but if she wanted to visit with my husband that it was between her and him and I didn't want any involvement period. I told her that I don't want to blamed--my husband can take responsibility for his own behaviors and speak for himself. I want absolutely no part in any of it. Since she didn't respond, I left it at that as I've had too much on my plate to deal with. My MIL is deceased. She died two years ago. She didn't want a relationship with me. I've never written completely about her cruelty--someday I will. It probably would be good for me to let it out. I'm glad that you had a nice visit with your SIL and your husband's ex step-mother....See More- 10 months agolast modified: 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months agolast modified: 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months agolast modified: 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 10 months agolast modified: 10 months ago
- 10 months ago
- 9 months agolast modified: 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
- 9 months ago
Related Stories

LANDSCAPE DESIGNGood Read: ‘Landscaping Ideas That Work’
Get a landscape architect’s strategies — along with gorgeous, inspiring photos — for a yard you’ll really enjoy
Full Story
LIFE8 Self-Care Practices to See You Through the Holidays
These easy tips can help bring peace and joy to the season
Full Story
HOLIDAYS15 Things to Do on a Holiday Weekend at Home
Stay warm and festive indoors and out with these activities to enjoy with family and friends or on your own
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOMEHow to Recharge Over the Holidays
Try these easy ideas to let go of stress and enjoy the festivities more
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPING10 Feel-Good Household Tasks for Fall
Scrub, organize and inspect now to sail through the holidays with a light heart and a clean conscience
Full Story
LIFESimple Pleasures: Cozy Up Your Reading Spot
Losing yourself in a good book is even better with these ideas for reading comfortably all around the house
Full Story
FEEL-GOOD HOME8 Time Traps to Avoid This Holiday Season
Reduce stress with these scaled-back alternatives to your grand ambitions
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESDinner and a Good Book: 12 Double-Duty Dining Rooms
Create your own library-inspired reading room by pairing a dining table with bookshelves
Full Story

netla