For John Liu and anyone looking at "smart" toaster oven
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (81)
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
Related Discussions
Convection Toaster Oven : Breville BOV800XL worth it?
Comments (3)I just bought this oven last week and so far it's great. I've used it to toast, bake and keep things warm. The nice thing about using it as an oven is that it preheats very quickly (as opposed to a larger oven). Its controls are also very easy to figure out. It's definitely more than just a toaster oven and in a different league from the Black & Decker toaster oven that it replaced.......See Moretoaster oven in cabinet
Comments (27)I just happened to be in the kitchen at work a couple of months ago when the toaster oven caught fire. The guy was making toast (auto shut off), and it ignited grease on the bottom. And someone regularly cleans this oven. I can say without hesitation, YES, this is a fire hazard. If the cabinets -- a good 8-10 inches above the oven -- had not been made of metal, they would have ignited. The paint bubbled. The guy knocked it off the counter onto the tile floor with enough force that it unplugged itself and we watched it burn itself out upside down, praying that it didn't set the sprinklers off. I have no question that if it had been in a cabinet, the whole cabinet would have ignited, and the whole wall, and the whole kitchen within minutes. Yes, maybe if this happened and you were standing right there and everything happened just right you'd whip out your fire extinguisher, cool as anything, and it would work just right, and you'd only lose a wall of cabinets. But, most likely, this would not happen when you were at home. This would probably happen when you were out. When someone who isn't familiar with how to use the setup safely -- a babysitter, your husband's stupidest friend after a few halftime beers, your kid who KNOWS better but got talked into it by a friend. And fire gets out of control so fast, and there's no stopping it. No insulating it or containing it when it's licking up the whole front of the cabinet. Or the heat is slowly building in the box for hours or days, just waiting for oxygen to burst into a flame. I understand the desire to get the oven off the counter. But the only way to do this safely is to store the oven there, take it out, and put it back when it's cool. Otherwise, it's just a bad idea. It's against fire code for a reason. I have known half a dozen people who have had house fires. It really happens. Not to everyone, but it happens. And I know someone who died thinking they could put the fire out themself. Be safe....See MoreReview of Oster toaster oven
Comments (2)I'm wondering if instead of a toaster oven (I know they work for a lot of people, but maybe not best choice for us?) I should just get the small Whirlpool MW with the curved back to fit in the corner where my current huge (22" x 15.5" x 12.5 high) MW is? Thinking about usage, besides the weekly meatballs that are in huge Corningware roaster (that I could do in oven or in stockpot on stove), the MW mainly gets used for multiple cups (nice to fit 4C Pyrex but I could buy a 2C in addition to the 1C I have) of water for tea/cocoa/oatmeal per day, occasionally reheating coffee (not often), that almost-daily 12-16oz veggies, very occasional scrambled eggs (nice and fluffy in a Pyrex bowl - have to measure but no larger than 11"). The toaster is fairly inconspicuous, slices go side-by-side so it fits along the wall with plenty of space for a paper towel or plate in front of it, I really don't need to replace a toaster. I do have a rice cooker (but it's a large one, hate to pull it out for veggies). Recently bought a 5qt electric pressure cooker, hoping to replace the rice steamer and 2 slow cookers (3qt and 6qt) with that, also works better than pan of water for defrosting (I never defrost meat in MW). I guess I could replace the MW with an electric kettle LOL but it's nice to be able to cook scrambled eggs, reheat the occasional plate of leftovers as well as boil water in less than 2 minutes. If I ever need another oven for baking, I have a large Nesco down the basement (so far I've just used it for large batches of apple butter - pan is too large to fit in my double sink or DW but if using just to hold a baking pan it wouldn't need to be washed out). Actually, I've been meaning to try it for baking bread so I don't have to heat up the big oven. I even have a smaller Nesco that can hold 1 loaf pan I may try baking in....See MoreDo you love your toaster oven?
Comments (38)We have the Krups as well. I LOVE IT. It has to be front and center somewhere in the new kitchen. I never heat anything in the microwave that has a bread like substance in it. The Krups is good for just a "few" cookies, or heating up a slice of brownie, I use it every day. My son just moved out, and he begs me every time he comes home to give it to him and buy me another. Haha, I'll get him one for Christmas, but he's not getting mine! I saw one at Tuesday Morning online that is a discontinued model, (I don't think it's a Krups), but it has brick stone all around it, they say it retails for over $400, and they have it for $139. I'm thinking of getting him that one for Christmas....See More- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years agolast modified: 2 years ago
- 2 years ago
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
- last year
- last yearlast modified: last year
- last year
- last year
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGN5 Great-Looking Galley Kitchens That Really Cook
See how designers make these narrow spaces work for their owners
Full Story
THE HARDWORKING HOMESmart Ways to Make the Most of a Compact Kitchen
Minimal square footage is no barrier to fulfilling your culinary dreams. These tips will help you squeeze the most out of your space
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNSmart Investments in Kitchen Cabinetry — a Realtor's Advice
Get expert info on what cabinet features are worth the money, for both you and potential buyers of your home
Full Story
MOST POPULAR10 Smart Ideas for Your Laundry Room Remodel
Make washing and drying easier and more comfortable by considering ergonomics, storage and special features
Full Story
STORAGE12 Smart Storage Solutions to Reduce Clutter
Incorporate these nifty drawer inserts, pullouts and other innovative ideas to bring organization to your home
Full Story
SMALL KITCHENS12 Ways to Make Your Kitchen Look and Feel Bigger
Try these clever design moves to get more storage and create a roomier feel
Full Story
MOST POPULARTrend Watch: 13 Kitchen Looks Expected to Be Big in 2015
3 designers share their thoughts on what looks, finishes and design elements will be on trend in the year ahead
Full Story
KITCHEN DESIGNThrowback Kitchen Gains Countertop Space, Color and Smart Storage
Pullout pantries, sustainable hardwood cabinets and all-new appliances turned this kitchen into a showpiece for a Portland couple
Full Story
HOME TECHA Vision of the Future for the Smart Home
Intel, a smart-home platform developer, offers a peek into the tech firm's experimental ‘living lab’
Full Story
THE HARDWORKING HOMECES 2015: Inching Toward a Smarter Home
Companies are betting big on connected devices in 2015. Here’s a look at what’s to come
Full Story
















plllogOriginal Author