SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
opdos

Need a Stylish & Safe Front Porch: Non-Slip / Stamped Concrete Inspo

Opdos
10 days ago
last modified: 10 days ago

I'm reaching out to the Houzz community seeking some creative input for our front porch and sidewalk. We are completely tearing out what is there, which is traditional brick and mortar. We are heading into our senior years and the maintenance on brick has just gotten too much but we love the warmth and class that brick added to the front of our house. We want to create a welcoming entrance that impresses guests while ensuring it's not slick, especially during wet weather and doesn't have an abundance of maintenance like brick does

I'm particularly interested in exploring stamped concrete options that emulate the timeless charm of brick. Can stamped concrete achieve the classic brick look while also providing a non-slip surface? I understand you have to seal it every few years, which doesn't sound too bad since you can just roll it on with a long handled roller, but I also hear that stamped surfaces are slick. Are they slick due to the sealer? I hear that if you don't seal, then your color fades. I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with this or has suggestions for alternative materials or techniques. If they are slick, would it look ok to do a regular brushed concrete middle of the sidewalk and steps, and then a stamped ribbon--which might give us the non-slip but still add the charm.

One idea I've been contemplating is using regular concrete for the main portion of the sidewalk and steps, with a stamped brick ribbon on both sides. Would this combination offer the best of both worlds—durability and aesthetics? I saw this photo and love it but would this be slick? Should it just be used for a ribbon to avoid the slippery surface, with plain concrete in the middle? Is this color hard to achieve?

We have a traditional 1950 ranch house with a roughly 8x8 top porch surface and two steps down then the final step down to the sidewalk, which then turns left and runs 25 feet over to the driveway. It is a straight run now, but we are thinking of curving it a bit to add interest to the front of the house, which is a traditional flat front small-ish ranch that can look a bit boring if there is not something to add a lot of curb appeal. The house is medium silver/gray with Hamilton Blue shutters.

We are also open to suggestions on how to design the two steps down to the sidewalk. The front of the house is very flat with no setbacks or jut outs. We will have the roughly 8 x 8 top porch step out from the house. Should the next steps be more narrow or wider than the porch?

Should we curve them? Curve the sidewalk? etc. How can we achieve the look on the steps of having a bit of an overhang? Can this be poured in the concrete? See attached photo of what I'm talking about on an "overhang" instead of just plain poured squared off steps. Not liking the color or anything...just that overhang (if that's what you call it?)

I'm open to any and all suggestions, whether it's advice on materials, design concepts, or personal experiences with similar projects. Your insights would be incredibly valuable as we start this project to elevate the curb appeal of our home..

Thank you in advance for your contributions!

Comments (3)