SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_6198431

What colors for stamped concrete patio?

User
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

We’re having a stamped concrete patio added to our yard in 2 weeks and I’m still not sure what colors to use. Our house is white siding, with white painted brick foundation and the deck is white with black spindles and gray Azek boards.

The color product our contractor uses is LITHOCHROME. I thought I wanted to use gray colors but, when I saw the samples in person I didn’t like the dark highlights, I thought it made it look dirty and like it needed to be cleaned. I think the browns are too much earth tone for our house. I didn’t see a light gray in person, so I’m not sure how to make that combination out of the color palette.

For the time being I chose beige cream and smoke beige for the main patio area and pecan/smoke beige for the border. The pattern I chose is Arizona flagstone with a continuous boarder. The smoke beige color is almost an exact match to our Azek gray decking.

What colors would you use?

This is the pattern (just the large flagstone, this is his sample area and there‘s a lot going on)

Comments (40)

• jck910
    4 years ago

If your deck is gray go with one in the gray family not brown. Post a picture of the deck

• PRO
    SJS Interiors
    4 years ago

If your house is white and your deck white with black and gray, I wouldn’t go with beige. It would help to see more pics.

• Related Discussions

Patio - stamped concrete vs. pavers - Conflicting Info

Q

Comments (18)
    You know, it's interesting how when we travel to Europe or other parts of the world where we can see buildings several hundred years old, we appreciate the patina of age on things -- plaster showing its age, cracked stone paving, irregular color in brick, time-worn marble, and so on. In the US we always want to rip out the old, solid materials because of minor imperfectons, and replace them with something shiny, new, and not necessarily of equal quality. If there is a real problem with your tiles -- undermined and unstable surface, safety issues, water leaks, or whatever -- sure, replace them. But otherwise the older material has charm that pavers do not have, in particular with your nice brick wall and balusters. You'd want all your architectural elements to be speaking the same language.
    ...See More

Stamped concrete on top of existing concrete patio

Q

Comments (3)
    Some friends of mine back in IN did what you're suggesting and love it. They had their concrete entryway done over with the overlay to look like brick and it's incredible. We have an old concrete patio that we're going to redo (one of these years) in the overlay, using a stone finish. We thought about putting a layer of decking on but the look doesn't match our yard and it's too thick. The overlay is not very thick -- I don't remember specs but I can't imagine it would be much thicker than flagstone. We only have a few inches clearance between our current patio and the door sill and that's plenty of room for the new surface. I've seen samples of the product and it looks incredible, and care is supposed to be a dream. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any bad experiences with this. See link for photos but I can assure you the finished product looks much better than the photos can show. In case you can't tell, I'm hooked on this idea :) Here is a link that might be useful: concrete overlay
    ...See More

Stamped Concrete Patio

Q

Comments (1)
    In my region the cost should be about $10 per square foot or about $5500 complete. Given that the 'other guy' already did some of the work, one might think the cost should be less...but that isn't always the case. The 'new guy' may have to pay for his own contractor license or figure out how to correct the failures of the guy who left the job. The 'other guy' may have also left your job because he simply didn't know what he was doing and bid the job too low. That said, simply take whatever estimates you are getting to complete and correct the abandoned job at face value, then decide...
    ...See More

Help - how can I change color of new stamped concrete patio?

Q

Comments (1)
    I have (had) painted my stamped concrete twice now, two different colors since the original, and it comes out great and lasts a few years. It just needs to be a specific kind of outdoor paint.
    ...See More
  • Mrs. S
    4 years ago

Without seeing a picture, it's hard to say. But your description makes this sound like it will look super busy. Not every single choice needs to be "fancy" , for example, concrete with 2 different colors, a border, AND a pattern.

Personally, I'd do an acid washed concrete (by that I mean, they put a layer of acid over the top and it makes it a non-slip surface) in a solid color that coordinates with your colors around it.

Like the ubiquitous white garage doors that look far, far better painted to match the siding of the house (so that it fades into the background, instead of highlighting it like an architectural feature), I would want my concrete to fade into the background, and have the eye notice a pretty pot with flowers, or a beautiful fountain. I mean, I'd like it to be present and look nice/bland, but not be a focal point.

Perhaps you have already thought this through, and your concrete needs to make a design statement. In this case, you'll get better advice if you post pictures of your existing choices.

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

What color is your roof?

Go with the gray. The tans wont work. Also they lighten over time and we had tans in our last home and they got very yellow looking. Our neighbor did gray and hers weathered better than ours.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It looks like the color photo didn’t post above.

This is the color I picked for now...

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the back of the house (taken in early April, it’s much more green now!)

If you zoom, you can see that although the steps are called gray they have a bit of beige to them.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Do you have any photos of your home? I agree its a difficult choice but it's an even harder decision without seeing all the elements involved. I hear a photo is worth a thousand words ;)

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I don’t feel like the patio has to make a huge design statement, I thought the border would be helpful because there will be a step down from the main patio area to a landing in front of the deck steps and I wanted to highlight that step in someway.

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

This is how the tans look after they have weathered. Very yellow.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

The photo you just posted in the comments looks like it will flow quite nicely with your deck steps...and your home. Is that the decision you're second guessing? I think it works just fine. Course, I will say I like the brick pattern better than the stone shapes.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is the interior of the porch (please excuse the paper shades, I’m still trying to decide what to put there). The rest of the home is transitional in style.

The backyard faces South, so the patio space will get a good amount of sun. And I definitely don’t want a color that will yellow.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Glo- yes, that is the one I’m second guessing. I thought it looked great in person, more natural than the grays they had on display.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

What a beautiful yard, pink peony!

I can see how yellow it turned. Was the patio originally closer in color to the walls?

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Glo- I liked the Ashler stone pattern as well but, our neighbo has it and as soon as the contractor told me that they call it their “everyday pattern“ because they do it on a project at least everyday, I wanted to do something different.

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

No the walls are stamped too and all of it just changed over time. Funny thing is we asked about the chance of color change and the contractor we used said the colors don't change. Well boy was he wrong and honestly as you can see we have a very wooded lot and although the patio did get sun it wasn't overly sunny.

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

I still think with your roof color and other elements gray looks nicer

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I agree, pink peony. When you put the colors on the photo of the house, the gray looks much nicer. Now to figure out what grays to use...

This is the color palette

I was think maybe Stone gray as the main color and Landmarks gray as the highlighter? If I want to keep the border highlighted with a slightly darker color combo would you do stone gray and classic gray?

• PRO
    SJS Interiors
    4 years ago

I agree! The gray will look much better.!

• PRO
    SJS Interiors
    4 years ago

I would do a darker gray as it would add contrast against your house

• luscious111
    4 years ago

LOVE your sunroom! Go with just one gray, you don't need a second color. The differentiation will be obvious with the edge being narrow as shown in your image above.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, luscious111. We're loving the sunroom too! It just got completed at the beginning of the year and has been used constantly since.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh goodness, why do you have to make so much sense Yardvaark!?! lol!

So, tell me, from that color palette I posted above what colors would you do? Would you do a border? If so, would it be a different color than the patio? I'm guessing if I want it to look as natural as possible, I would not have any border (not even the imprint) and just do the Ashler stone stamp all the way to the edge? My reason for want the border is because of a step we are going to have; I wanted it highlighted. There will be two lights put into that step for nighttime visibility, maybe that makes the border no longer necessary?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

If #1 is the top left corner, reading left to right, then 3,4,5, 19, or 20 would be my starting point. But it's very hard to pick from a color chart of flat colors. Better to have actual samples or photos of finished products ... and compare on site. The first picture that Pink Peony submitted looks like it would go well with your house. And the first picture of the two she submitted just above your color chart also looks like a possibility. If I was going to do a border, something in a lighter grey, plain trowelled concrete (no pattern), would look nice surrounding the stone pattern.

Wanting the stamped concrete to "look as natural as possible" .... what does that really mean? Every part of your house is in some way manufactured. The patio -- a floor extension of your house -- is going to look the same. Even real, natural stones are cut & shaped in order to be useful, and good looking, to humans. If you want everything to look truly natural, you're going to have to start living like a wolf in the woods. Maybe you just mean "genuine" ... that the fake stone looks as much as possible like real stone. (It for sure is not going to be the flagstone then!) I think you just have to see the contractors work samples and judge from that. BTW, be sure to see the other thread running recently about a stamped concrete job that did not turn out well. The mistake was not to go inspect work that the contractor has done. You should see work that people have actually bought ... not just samples at the showroom.

User thanked Yardvaark
  • saccharum
    4 years ago

In addition to everything Yardvaark has said, I would strongly recommend having the contractor do a small sample, or mock-up, on your site before installing the full patio. That way you can review the color and pattern selection, not to mention the workmanship, prior to the final install, and minimize any unpleasant surprises.

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

My screen isn’t reading the colors on that chart correctly i assume. All the colors called gray look Olive Green. So i can’t help pick which is right. I did agree with Saccarum. I would ask for samples. They usually have them made up in 12 x 12 or even 16 x 16 tiles to show you the color options.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was able to look at the samples again this weekend, as well as some of the previous jobs the contractor has done, both commercial (local restaurant patio) and residential.

Thank you to everyone steering me towards the grays, after seeing the photos pink_peony posted above, I think the beige I originally picked would have been an instant regret.

This is the color I decided to go with...

• pink_peony
    4 years ago

It’s going to look great! Make sure to post a picture once done!

User thanked pink_peony
  • User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Pink_peony - I will make sure to post back with a photo :)

I can‘t believe how hard it is to pick a color! Even now looking at the photo I think “maybe it’s too light” but in person I thought it looked really nice. So fingers are crossed!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

If I were picking, I would try for less contrast within the field of the finished work, so that the pattern was more subtle. I believe it is the high contrast which gives it the look of being dirty. Then, I would add a little more contrast between the border and the field, in order to set the two apart. As I mentioned previously, I would tend toward darker in the field rather than lighter, so in order to reduce contrast, I would add more darkness, not more lightness.

The samples, above, tend toward a lighter field with a darker border. I would lean in the opposite direction -- a darker field and lighter border. It also seems that the border color bleeds slightly into the field. I would try to have a crisp separation so that the border reads as a separate frame to the field ... no where they tend toward blending together.

With the white house, I would be considering adding some color so would place the reds, dark reds, red/charcoal/black blend in the lineup consideration, so as not to create too much blandness in the overall property setting.

Out of the last picture you added (of samples) I cut and pasted mockups of the samples over the picture of your backyard. You could do the same if your computer is Windows and has Paint (in Accessories.) You don't need a touchscreen or stylus to use some of the features. [Use the Select tool to grab a section of the picture. Copy, stretch or shrink, and Paste it. Use the eyedropper tool to pick up any color in a picture and the paint bucket tool to deposit the color on something else in the picture. (Only works on solid colors.) Alter the color you're working with in Edit Colors.)] Use the rectangle tool do draw a frame.

Of the following, the middle photo is copying from the sample you chose (with my lighter frame added.) One more consideration about the lighter border... after dark, the lighter border will show up better and longer than a darker one.

• User
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, Yardvaark. I’m definitely taking all this feedback into consideration. Thankfully (?) because of the rain we’ve been getting they are running a bit behind, which gives me time to still play around with color choices.

I’m leaning towards the middle picture that you posted. I‘ve been told that with the amount of sun our patio will be getting the reds and dark charcoal will fade sooner, the contractor we‘re using said the charcoal will need yearly sealing to keep its color.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    4 years ago

All colors are going to lighten. Even the lighter one. Red becomes grayer.

• sweetshome
    3 years ago

Can we see the new outcome?

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sweetshome- I don’t have any recent photos and the patio is currently full with a sandbox, table and chairs, and a kiddie pool.
    These photos are from last fall when we had the trees planted. I’m very happy with the color, pattern, and shape we chose. I had a moment of regret (with tears) but that has faded. The color is a great fit with our deck boards and the height ended up not being an issue.

• sweetshome
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Looks nice. I’m doing my drive way. I’ll make a post for help too . Love the look. Is this called flagstone?

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I took the pool down today since we have a week of rain coming. I snapped a few photos looking down from the deck so you could see the pattern and colors better. The pattern is a flagstone, it’s called Arizona. I’ve attached a photo that lists the pattern and colors used.

• sweetshome
    3 years ago

Thank you very nice

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Good luck on your project

• Victor Palacio
    3 years ago

Looks good. Have you applied a sealer to it? I’ve got similar colors on mine that was done close to 10
    Years ago and it has held up beautifully.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

They applied a sealer when the patio was completed. We have not resealed it yet. It still has a slight shine to it but I’m thinking next year we’ll need a new coat on it.