SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ljmai

Help! How to choose wood kitchen cabinets with oak floor?

Lola
last month

We are remodeling our kitchen and I hope to continue our white oak flooring (see attached pic) in the living room into the kitchen. We will be widening the doorway from the kitchen to LR to 5 ft wide to give a more open feel. The LR color scheme is light gray/white/blue&green and the portal from the LR to kitchen will look right into the working part of the kitchen (see attached sketch). My DH prefers wood tone cabinets in the kitchen, but we are afraid that our L-shaped kitchen will look too "woody" with oak floors and wood cabinets and on the internet I've seen examples of that happening. At the cabinet store, I had trouble resolving how the oak grain on the floor would work with wood grain on the cabinets and was trying to find cabinets with less noticeable grain on cabinets as a result.

DH likes light maple cabinets and I think those could work, but haven't found much on the internet with that combo that looks good to me. We want a light airy feel and I saw the attached photo on the internet and so thought a possibility would be to go with a granite whitish countertop with a light green backsplash. Really what we're hoping for is a light airy feel so I'm open to anything as I'm having trouble getting to resolution. Could the light maple cabinet

/green backsplash work with the oak, or other ideas for keeping a light airy look in kitchen with oak floor and woodtone cabinets? Thank you so much for your help!!

Comments (7)