SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tvq1

Help me choose a floor color: Duraseal on red oak

tvq1
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are in the middle of a minor remodel-refinishing our existing red oak floors in the entry, dining room and kitchen. We will be installing new red oak (finish in place) in our adjacent living room and family room. The existing floors are a light color--our floor guy thinks it's nutmeg stain.

I'm thinking a slightly darker, medium warm brown color for some contrast between our cabinets and the floor might look better than the existing floor color, which is very close to the cabinet color.

(I know our cabinets are honey oak--BUT I LIKE THEM! We have no plans to refinish, paint or install new cabinets. They are good quality and are in great shape) WHEW! Now that I've gotten that out of the way.....

Our flooring guy will use DuraSeal, and so far I'm looking at Spice Brown and Medium Brown.

I'd love some opinions on changing the floor color to a darker color vs. leaving it the same color as it is now.

Any advice and opinions are greatly appreciated!

I've attached 2 pictures of our kitchen.

Comments (19)

• tvq1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks eld6161. The reason for red oak is because the existing floor is red oak, and we want the new wood floor to match.

I know I'm a little defensive about our cabinets--I see so many negative comments on honey oak. We could replace them with a more current look--but then that look would be out of style in a few years--it's a vicious circle! ;}

• Related Discussions

Help with Duraseal stain on red oak floors

Q

Comments (10)
    Pink Blocker will "minimize" your red tones. For light browns, you will not have much to choose from in Duraseal colors. Bona has Twig or Nutmeg in Drifast stains. If, you want lighter than that, use chemical stains.
    ...See More

Has anyone used duraseal golden brown or dark brown on red oak floors?

Q

Comments (10)
    @RM Raymond looks beautiful!!! i am also sampling in duraseal product. thank you for posting several photos. i am going to try it alone cause i have tried it with rustic beige. i have also tried medium brown with rustic and weathered and classic gray. medium brown seems overall too reddish. golden brown may be a good fit to give enough coverage and keep that red orange pink away and still keep it light.
    ...See More

help needed with duraseal stain colors for red oak

Q

Comments (31)
    About to refinish our red oak floors and im having such a hard time deciding! ive been leaning towards aged barrel. it is beautiful in the above pics, but I’m hopinh it isnt too dark. my stair treads are black, and i want a good contrast. the wood is also in the kitchen and kitchen will be all white. opinions, please please!
    ...See More

HELP! Need stain ASAP! Neutral/special walnut Duraseal on red oak

Q

Comments (8)
    "considering medium brown/weathered oak chesnut/weathered oak" Isn't that what is in your second photo? You say "my flooring guy is pretty useless coming up with combos on his own", but it looks like your second photo shows he is providing what you are asking for. Your top photo is not "medium brown/weathered oak/chestnut". I think the flooring guy is giving you what you asked for, but what you asked for is not what you actually want. Show him your top photo that you posted here. Here are photos of chestnut stain on white oak and weathered oak stain on white oak (a much more gray finish than it sounds like you want). So you need to give your flooring guy the correct instruction of what you want, and not blame him when you do not.
    ...See More
  • nicole___
    5 years ago

Your cabinets and layout are FANTASTIC. I'd stain all the oak floors a dark walnut.

tvq1 thanked nicole___
  • Elizabeth
    5 years ago

Yes, I would make the floor the darker color. It would give more depth to the room. The cabinets are lovely. The black drawer pulls are perfect.

tvq1 thanked Elizabeth
  • Lukki Irish
    5 years ago

tvq1! I no longer feel alone! We have golden (not orange) honey colored oak cabinets as well and we’re perfectly happy with them!

One concern that comes to my mind is how will the stain will affect the grain in the wood flooring. Will it make it stand out more or will it tone it down?Because you don’t want that grain to compete with the grain in your cabinets. It may not even be an issue because from the picture it looks like your cabinets don’t have a lot of grain in them but I’d ask just to be sure.

If the stainer says it will tone it down the grain in the floor, I definitely think you’re moving in the right direction by going darker.

tvq1 thanked Lukki Irish
  • kathyg_in_mi
    5 years ago

Hey! That's my kitchen. Same oak cabinets and if my eyes aren't tricking me the exact same counter tops, Silestone! You have great taste, but your kitchen is larger than mine. I like your floor like it is, but do whatever pleases you, no one else!

tvq1 thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • maifleur01
    5 years ago

I will go against the tide with this one. Any darker and it will soak up the light especially that nice natural light from the window. Do you want a sunny warm area or one that will be darker. One thing I would try to stain is that little strip at the bottom of the island. It stands out as an "after thought".

tvq1 thanked maifleur01
  • Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Another floor finishing matter not mentioned is whether to use oil-based or water-based finish on top.

It's been a few years since we had this done but here's what I remember:

A water based polyurethane dries to a clear finish on top of the wood and leaves a hard plastic or resin-like finish. It offers some protection from water and light scratches, although it isn't necessarily more durable, while....

An oil-based finish is absorbed into the wood and doesn't exactly cover it in the same way. This is a traditional finish and produces a wood floor with the grain texture remaining and the appearance of what one may remember as typical from years ago or see today on old floors. Oil-based polyurethane darkens a little over time.

I know we chose and have been happy with an oil-based polyurethane but I wouldn't doubt that perhaps I have the descriptions wrong. Our wood floors aren't in the kitchen, we did tile there instead. Have your floor guy describe to you the performance and appearance choices, you can pick what you prefer. I know they're rather different all the same.

tvq1 thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • tvq1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all for your input--I really appreciate the feedback. Maifleur: that base piece really does stand out in the photo--thankfully, in real life it actually matches! Must be weird lighting or something.

Good point on darker flooring "sucking up" light--I hadn't thought of that. Although-our kitchen and dining room windows face south-so we have lots of light.

KoolBeans--another good point on the grain! I hadn't thought of that, either. I am having some sample areas done in a week or so--so I should be able to see if the grain will be too dark.

Elmer Fudd-I'm pretty sure our installer is using a water based finish, as we discussed that it would not "yellow" as much as oil based. Thanks for the great explanation on the difference.

I knew I could count on you all for advice--thanks again!

• jemdandy
    5 years ago

Your kitchen floor is beautiful! Why change color? Darker floors do hide dirt better, but they darken the room, too. If that floor needs refinishing, I'd use the same color. Why mess with nice?

tvq1 thanked jemdandy
  • Lukki Irish
    5 years ago

When it comes to darker floors, I have a little different perspective. We have very similar cabinets in color with minimal grain as well. We laid a medium oak throughout the main level but put brazillian walnut in the kitchen and dining room. I’ve never felt like it’s darkened the room (it’s not real bright to begin with). To my eye, it offers contrast and grounds the room, kind of like a large rug would in a living room. I prefer that but I don’t think you can go wrong either way though.

tvq1 thanked Lukki Irish
  • OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

I like the lighter color, but only you can decide if a darker, medium brown stain will appeal to you or not.

I prefer white oak as it doesn’t tend to turn red with some of the stains used and you don’t have to worry as much with the mix or what the finish coat will do to the color. Be sure your floor person will give you a true representation sample of each stain color and final finish.

tvq1 thanked OutsidePlaying
  • nicole___
    5 years ago

A quote from Joanna Gaines of Fixer Upper fame, "Dark floors, light walls". It's one of her signature decorating moves.

tvq1 thanked nicole___
  • Adella Bedella
    5 years ago

I like contrast. I think the floors would be really pretty with a darker color. Just be sure not to go too dark so the floor doesn't show dust.

tvq1 thanked Adella Bedella
  • desertsteph
    5 years ago

I like your floors as they are now. I know contrast is good, but I like lighter floors. I think darker ones show the dust more. Could be because I have lots of it here in the desert. And I like your cabinets. you should probably replace that 4 drawer cabinet. I'd be happy to take it off of your hands...

do you have a dog or cat? does your kitchen match them? if not, you might think of them and their fur in choosing light or dark. There's a long time thread about that over on kitchens.

tvq1 thanked desertsteph
  • tvq1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

LOL desertsteph! Do we have a dog?? Yes, we have a very sweet labradoodle named Finley. We were told she would be non-shedding--HA!! She sheds like crazy (we love her anyway) AND she's black. Furballs everywhere! Based on that fact, maybe we should go for ebony stain! Here she is in all her hairy, shedding cuteness:

^^The carpet in the above pic is being replaced by the new hardwood^^

Flooring guy will be here to do some samples, and he will come back to put a finish coat on the samples, so we can see what the finished stains will look like. I'll be sure to post pics of the samples--I've enjoyed the advice and comments.

• SJ McCarthy
    5 years ago

I suggest going a few steps darker than the cabinets. Your dark(er) counter top will be your inspiration. The grain in the wood is quite strong which can be used to your ADVANTAGE! If you water pop your wood, the grain will take on the stain a snick more...thereby giving you the DEPTH of colour you crave WITHOUT going so dark that you remove the light from the room (or the floors).

I suggest a mid-tone stain with water popping. I would work a little into the 'green' range as your counter top 'reads' cool tones more than orange tones. Let the GRAIN take a strong stain (water popping) so that you can get all the contrast you desire WITHOUT having to go too dark.

Make sure your refinisher offers some colour samples on your floor (must include a coat of finish to show the true depth of the colour...and if you water pop make sure the water popping is done with all the colour samples).

Once your samples are down, you can take the time to figure out which stain works BEST in your lighting situation as well as with your counter top.

tvq1 thanked SJ McCarthy
  • desertsteph
    5 years ago

oh look at that face! look at that fur! she is just soooo cute! yep, better to refloor than rehome her for sure. I can see why that carpet would need to go. Maybe you need to redecorate in mostly black? lol! I decided when I moved into where I am now that I'd no longer have carpet. besides dog fur, I live in the desert and sand regularly sifts thru here. We lots of dust storms especially in the summer. A dirt devil can whip up and blow thru often. at least with vinyl flooring I can sweep it up, vac it up, mop it up easier. I needed whatever was easiest for me to stand on, walk on and clean. my main floors are a beigey grey and my girl's fur comes off a pale beige/grey. I sometimes hold up a wad of it to her and ask 'is this your sister? are you hiding a puppy in here?'

you should look up that thread on kitchens. It was so much fun, so many posted pics of their kitchens and matching critters. It should be on one of the 1st few pages 'cause I saw a new post on it recently.

tvq1 thanked desertsteph
  • georgysmom2
    5 years ago

Since you've asked for opinions, here goes. I've had really dark wood floors (Like a mahogany) and they were very beautiful but they do show dust and must be mopped daily. Next, I went a lot lighter but still stained and still showed dust. I'm into easy living so I had my floors refinished, red oak, no stain, just a triple polyurethane finish and this is my favorite of all. Doesn't show dust and always looks nice. I would have the kitchen floors sanded and just put a sealer on all the floors. # 1, they will match, and #2, they will look great with your cabinets and #3 there is very little upkeep. You could have your floor guy show you what natural red oak looks like with just a sealer before you decide.

tvq1 thanked georgysmom2
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH