SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shaun_ketterman67

Help With Granite Odor!

Shaun Ketterman
last month

Hello All,

First and foremost - I've done some extensive searching, both here and via the Google machine, but haven't yet found a remedy for my issue.

Basically, I have some granite countertops that have a constant odor. I can smell it when I open the bedroom door (which opens up to the kitchen/dining area). This is a relatively new issue. I've lived here for over 5 years now. I recently rented one of my rooms out to a friendly married couple, and they are regular cooks. I'm fairly confident that the source of the smell is the result of about a year's worth of frying meats over the stove, often times without turning on the range fan or opening any windows. I'm not completely convinced they properly wiped things down afterward. Long story short, I've had discussions with them about this already, but the smell is there. If I put my nose about 6 inches from the granite, the smell is very clearly coming from it.

Prior to them moving in, I personally resealed the granite using Granite Gold Sealer, following the directions on the label. I applied 4 coats. During the sealing process, the smell was not present in the granite.

Since a lot of threads I've read across the web often have similar responses:

-Yes, I'm 110% positive the smell is coming from the granite.

-No, the smell is 110% not coming from my trash can, sink drain, or any other source.

-Yes, I removed, cleaned, and replaced the filter above the range.

If it helps, I've literally turned the entire kitchen upside-down to clean it. I used bucketfulls of hot soapy water, along with Zep Citrus Kitchen Degreaser. I cleaned everything, ceiling to floor. I pulled the range appliance out from the wall and scrubbed down the sides and back, as well as the floor, wall, and cabinet ends on either side of it. I did the same with the fridge. The range surface was also scrubbed clean (the smell from the granite is significantly stronger than the smell coming from the range top). I also applied some Orange Glow furniture polish to all of the cabinets, top to bottom. The sink drains had a combination of lemons, baking soda, and vinegar. I sprayed out the inside of the dishwasher with straight vinegar, and ran the cleaning/sanitization cycle. I cleaned all of the window blinds, and the window frames and glass. The only thing in my kitchen that still smells in any way is the granite. Like I said, I can put my nose close to the granite and it's without question coming from there.

As far as the granite itself, I've tried:

-Hot soapy water (Dawn)

-The above mentioned Zep Citrus Degreaser

-I've sprayed it down with Microban and allowed it to air dry

-I've sprayed it down with Lysol spray

-I've tried covering the granite with baking soda and leaving it sit overnight

-I've tried a 1/1 ratio mix of rubbing alcohol and water, leaving it sit on the granite for 10 minutes at a time, then wiping it dry. I've lost count how many times I've done this over and over.

All of these have not removed the smell, and at this point I'm not sure what else I could possibly do. Any and all guidance is greatly appreciated!

Shaun

Comments (24)