SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris_1979

Removing stud from load bearing wall

chris_1979
2 months ago

I am in the process of remodeling my primary bathroom on the main floor of the house. I would like to remove one of the studs of an interior, seemingly load bearing wall, and replace it with a 10in header to make room for a shower niche. Would the below proposed setup work (i.e. provide sufficient support and load transfer for the removed 2x4) or are there any concerns for structural integrity? I would put some temporary wall in place to support the roof trusses while making the proposed changes.

Some more details:

1. The main floor wall sits on top of a crawl space with a foundation wall + framed cripple wall that is set back about 3 feet (i.e. load is transferred through the floor joists to the cripple wall and another offset outside wall (about 6 feet).

2. The floor joists are 2x8, spaced 16in oc

3. The 2x4 main floor wall with the stud to be removed is 16oc and seemingly load bearing

4. There appear to be roof trusses resting on top of the main floor wall, (2x4, 24in oc)

5. There does not appear to be any direct load, other than the horizontal roof truss boards resting on the main wall

Picture of wall in question:

Thank you for your advice!

Comments (3)