SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_901923

I just don't have any ideas. Can you help me, please?

Maria Olsen
2 months ago

This is my living room. It is dated and I just don't know how to change it. It has been white on white and I love it but tha furniture is dated. GFrom the sofas to the mantle. It is time to change. No ideas. I've been looking but can't decide.

I live in sunny Cascais, Portugal, in an apartment with big windows and an amazing view. I like bright colours but and special pieces. I have a low budget but am good with small diy.

Thank you!

Comments (10)

• Elaine Doremus
    2 months ago

First, discover your style. Write (one at a time) in top HOUZZ search box different styles. Examples include: transitional, casual, eclectic. Here is transitional to start with. https://www.houzz.com/photos/druid-hills-cottage-transitional-living-room-atlanta-phvw-vp~163182666 Get back to us when you have discovered your style! Also, note what colors and textures you like.

Maria Olsen thanked Elaine Doremus
  • chispa
    2 months ago

Define dated?

Get the sofa out of that corner as it is cramming the fireplace.

Maria Olsen thanked chispa
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

To me the furniture pieces are too many styles and bad layout Nothing really dated but a bit of fine tuning. I do not like slipcovers they always look sloppy to me . I would put the sofa facing the FP for sure it also then would face the TV too. The sofa is quite bulky so if changing furniture is in the budget I would look for somethin comfy but less bulky I think . A much alarger piece of art on that wall where you have it now in colors you love. Maybe a console table there but we need to see the whole space . For me in a nice suuny place can handle lots of color. BTW went to your idea books and can not get any feel for what you love . So maybe the plan to figure out what style you like would be helpful.

• la_la Girl
    2 months ago

Some fine tuning around accessories could help too - think about having fewer and larger items (rather than lots of smaller items scattered around) - or you could consider grouping smaller items together to have more impact)

Maria Olsen thanked la_la Girl
  • drdeb1234
    2 months ago

It is a nice space. I love the fireplace (although the mantel could use some styling)!
    I think the main problem is the various pieces of furniture seem kinda random; there’s nothing connecting them. I would probably cover or replace the green chair, then get a nice rug to connect (physically and visually)the other pieces. I’ll bet some talented photoshopper here can help with that.

Maria Olsen thanked drdeb1234
  • drdeb1234
    2 months ago

The stuff on the mantel is all small and random, so it’s looks cluttery, not impactful. There are a bunch of stories on Houzz with advice about decorating a mantel. Here’s one

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/11-tips-for-picture-perfect-mantel-styling-all-year-stsetivw-vs~6411089

Maria Olsen thanked drdeb1234
  • PRO
    RappArchitecture
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I would keep the sofa, but slide it away from the fireplace. Otherwise, bright new throw pillows and maybe some new abstract artwork is all you need. And maybe something dramatic on the mantel.

Maria Olsen thanked RappArchitecture
  • PRO
    Joe McGuire Design
    13 days ago

It looks like all you might need is a large rug to help ground the space. See the images below for rugs we have used in our designs.

Earthy Mountain Modern · More Info

Lake Shore Drive · More Info

Summit Townhome · More Info

• ffpalms
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

I like BeverlyFLADeziner’s layout swapping the couch with the smaller chair. I also think it’s a wonderful room. Here’s a mock-up with a natural fiber rug, and some throw pillows to bring your existing colors around the room. I think some tall stems would be lovely on the mantel.