SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta L 2023 ...........No Lakesides

Good morning it is still cool outside, 33 deg, You guys are still freezing. Facebook is on the letter S now. Way too fast. And no jokes. Not a one.

Today is the letter L. No Lakesides they have their own day.

One of my favorites.

When the ambulance charges you$500 And the tow truck charges you $80

The Beatles in 1957, George is 14, John is 16 & Paul is 15, wedding singers.

So, She loves you yea yea yea let's see some L hostas today:

Comments (32)

• Saija_Finland
    3 months ago

Lancifolia

Liberty

Little Hobber

Little Red Rooster

Love Pat

Lucky Mouse

• Related Discussions

Hosta Alphabet L (no Lakesides) - Winter 2012

Q

Comments (13)
    Notice my little friend on the top right hand leaf. Has anyone tried crossing a hosta with an Iris? A couple years ago I asked Glenn Wilson (Hosta Choice Nursery) if there was a bright green hosta. He suggested this one and it seems to be just perfect. Now my question to Hosta breeders is why aren't there more solid bright green hostas? They would find a market in my garden. Another great new one from 2011
    ...See More

Hosta Alphabet - Other L hostas (no Lakesides)

Q

Comments (8)
    LIBERTY - just planted last year but already a beauty! LIVERPOOL WHITE the only white I see is bird doo! LONDON FOG LOVELY RITA LOYALIST LUNAR ORBIT
    ...See More

2009 Hosta Alphabet - LAKESIDES's

Q

Comments (24)
    Lakeside Dragonfly Lakeside Midnight Miss (a friend's) Lakeside Looking Glass Lakeside Coal Miner Lakeside Pillow Talk (a friend's) Lakeside NoID Lakeside Blue Confusion (a friend's) Lakeside Black Satin (a friend's)
    ...See More

Rob's Lakeside Hostas

Q

Comments (14)
    Okay--I got my hosta from Rob today--a very fast ship, too! I am delighted to have such a wonderful looking 'L.S. Prophecy' and these others, too: I might add, the roots filled every glass they were in--to the top! Rob knew what I wanted, as per our conversations and my $$ limit. I wanted, above all 'L.S. Prophecy' and I asked him to choose from what I liked that would fit within my limitation! I am very happy with his choices for me and it was really fun to do it that way! A very positive experience on my end and I hope he enjoyed 'the game' with me allowing him to have free-reign in choosing for me--I think he might have! ;o) janice
    ...See More
  • ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Liberty first year.

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    3 months ago

I love the stormtrooper helmet upside down.

L's

Lancifolia

Leading Lady - back in the center

Lemontini

Liberty

Limetini

Little Treasure

Luna Moth

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 months ago

Lol Paula! Great L's everyone!

Ladybug with Forget-Me-Not seedlings. I am really going to miss them since I ripped out hundreds when I mulched.

lancifolia in 2 spots. The 2nd pic is part way through clearing & cleaning up.

Lemon Frost

Lemon Lime

Liberty

3 months ago

A few more.

Lily Blue Eyes late season.

Lipstick Blond on planting day in Sept.

Little Aurora half buried under Hanky Panky.

London Fog

Love Pat

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 months ago

My only L photo from last season, Little Treasure.

Love that Early Beatles photo, dont remember ever seeing it.

Sherry

• Ben D (zone 7b)
    3 months ago

Lemon Lime:

Luna Moth in its first year (with bunny-pruned scapes):

My pitiful Liberty. Hoping for a "leap" year:

(and planning to get the ammonia out earlier this year.)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 months ago

Ann, thats funny😂 Anything i needed would wait…..plants or not.

Sherry

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 months ago

Paula, the storm trooper joke cracked me up and Ann, your picture made me laugh as well. Today we are in the teens, a real warm up. Hahaha…..By next Monday it’s going to get into the upper 30s and low 40s with possible rain. Crazy weather!

Loving these Ls….. Ladybug, Lily Blue Eyes, and Leading Lady are new to me.
    Let’s see if I can post Ls here in houzz:

It worked!
    debra

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    3 months ago

Aww, young Beatles!

Lately every day is a snow day! One day the ski resort closest to me closed because of too much snow! But we need the water, and I know my plants are well insulated. And my house is finally getting cleaned!

Loving all the Liberties!

Little Miss Sunshine

• old_dirt 6a
    3 months ago

Lovely L's all - Think I'll try that back-up camera pic on the DW.

Love Pat

Little Sunspot - Doubt it's going to make it much longer.

Liberty - Having a difficult time with this one. I think I'll get two more next year just to hope one pulls through. Pic is from two years ago and has gone down hill since.

Lancifolia - Still need to dig it out from the ferns & ivy.

Original Author
    3 months ago

old dirt please do. Since retiring I have had one person to prank, my son, and he is not that much fun. He has been really no fun since I put all the blowups in his bathroom.

Ann the Beatles will be forever. We were lucky to have had some of the best music in our time. In my head I have 2 go to songs: Lovin' Spoonful What A Day For A Daydream and Beatles Blackbird.

Sandyslopes going back to TO and the mall. My, now ex, BIL had a store in that mall when it opened. It was very nice, upscale. LOL Me I was ok at Northridge or the old Valley Plaza. Did you ever go to Green Thumb on Sepulveda?

Does anyone notice the few minutes on the other side of winter too? Or am I just dreaming.

3 months ago

Ben D give your Liberty time. Mine was very slow, it did not help that after planting a squirrel dug it up and left it on its side with the roots fully exposed. It could have ben a couple of days before I noticed. Here's hoping yours has its leap year.

Yours looks good old-dirt but there is a reason it is shrinking. Tree roots, voles?

Paula you are not dreaming. I have noticed a big difference here.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    3 months ago

Ha, you never know what a mask will really look like until you put it upside down!

I agree that the Beatles were a great group. I would love to go back in time and see them in person---along with Elvis!

Liberty

Little Wonder (Peren.all, I also pulled away adjacent hosta leaves as this one is half covered too)

In regards to Liberty, I learned that Chris from Hallson's said that Liberty sends down deep roots and not to disturb it once planted. So I didn't move it once I planted it.

Liberty does also take its time to grow. But is definitely worthwhile. Mine had an interesting pattern of growth starting with year 1----3, 4, 6, 6, 15, 15, 26, 26 and now has reached a slower rate of growth. But I really thought that year 4 (the second year with 6 eyes) would be the year it would grow even bigger than the previous year (6 eyes also). Not so! But when it hit year 5 (15 eyes), I said "wow!" Liberty is one of only two hosta that my husband knows the name of because he has noticed the beauty of it too!

• old_dirt 6a
    3 months ago

peren.all - This is a picture from two years ago. Not sure what's going on with it, it's the second one i've had and is in a pot so not voles or tree roots. I wonder if I can be giving it too much water? I tend to baby my favorites and maybe over do those in pots.

newhostalady - Thanks for that info, I'll give it one more try.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    3 months ago

My 7-year-old Liberty took a step back last year. If it's not better this year I'm going to dig it up.

From 2021:

It was fine the previous year, I just don't have a good pic of it.

3 months ago

Leather and Lace

Lemon Love Note

Lemon Snap

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 months ago

Steve, all three of yours are gorgeous! I have been thinking of Leather and Lace for a while…… maybe this is the year!

debra

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Lime Ripple, then next 2 are Lemontini. Paula, the Beatles photo is great; my kids are that age now!

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    3 months ago

Paula, Northridge mall was my “go to” mall back then! I must have missed out on Green Thumb Nursery, but Green Arrow rings a bell. I wasn’t into gardening yet, except for houseplants when I moved from my parents house to an apartment. And I never heard of hostas until I moved to z5. I don’t remember seeing any in SoCal. I’m impressed you can grow them in Florida.

And I’ve noticed an extra 15 mins. of light! Moving in the right direction.

nhl, that’s a beautiful Liberty! I had to move mine and hope it’s still around.

3 months ago

I tried growing Hosta in So. Cal (near Disneyland) They only lasted 3 or 4 years and didn't get much bigger, but what did I know about growing Hosta?

That Lime Ripple tempts me every year. Maybe it's a good thing it's not readily available.

I almost forgot this pic of Luna Moth with ADG in the back).

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    3 months ago

Steve, my older Liberty plant did not look as good last year as the year before. It might be tree roots. I hate to dig it up but might need to this spring.

Original Author
    3 months ago

Sandyslopes you have possibly solved something my mom would say. When I would go to visit normality in the summer, I would tell mom let's go to Green Thumb. She would say Arrow. Off we would go, and I would head into the 'greenhouse' to stand in front of the humidifier to breath. In the 50ies Green Thumb and Green Arrow were just a few blocks away. Well, I guess Thumb went under but is still remembered by me. I went to Grant and Poly. Worked and lived all over but favored Chatsworth area best. Ran away and joined Army in 1981 and never looked back. I love Florida.

Steve, Disney was a Friday night date back in the day. $10 in and a few coupons. Here is a ticket book with, of all things, Moments with Mr. Lincon gone. The Jackson 5 and The Osmonds would pop up out of the floor, and no one knew them. 3 of us grew up so close together. And a woman named McTavish, who I may have been in school with 1960-61. And we all left.

Growing in Florida is nothing like anywhere else. The things I do to my hostas in the winter would freak people out. Back in the day I had great shade with a field behind me and its tall trees. One day I came home and they were gone. I am now full sun. Now I rotate them in and out of a shaded green house, summer, outside and raised up winter. Summer feed weekly weekly and water freely in summer and in winter. Told you I would freak you all out. I think I may give them a little hand out this weekend of a time release to say welcome to spring my friends.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 months ago

I forgot Lucky Mouse:

debra

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    3 months ago

debra..Lucky Mouse is cute 😉..
    I thought of you last night..the game was great..until the interception at the end..sorry debra..

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    3 months ago

Oh my gosh, Paula and Steve, what a small world! Paula, I was also at Poly, class of ’76. I wonder if our high school football team ever played Steve’s? We had our Grad Night at Disneyland! I can’t believe you still have a ticket book, wow! I remember Mr. Lincoln. I had friends whose parents worked for Lockheed, and once a year there was Lockheed night at Disneyland! So fun because we went on all the rides without much of a line to wait in.

IIRC, Green Arrow was a hardware store with a garden section. Too bad I wasn’t into plants yet so I didn’t know about Green Thumb. If I didn’t live in a cold enough climate for hostas, I don’t know if I’d go to all the trouble to grow them. But I was happy to discover them when I moved here!

• mbug_gw
    3 months ago

Sherry....awesome Little Treasure

peren....Your Lemon Limes are always a treat to see....how long did it take to get that display?

debra....I now need Lucky Mouse

NHL...beautiful Little Wonder pic

• mbug_gw
    3 months ago

Lady Guinevere 6-25-23

Liberty 2 6-22-23.jpg

Little Treasure 5-7-23

Luna Moth 6-29-23

3 months ago

mbug I don't recall ever seeing Lady Guinevere before, she is lovely!

The first photo I have of Lemon Lime is from 2009 and it is quite full. I planted 5 of them and they established quickly. A couple of years ago I took a fair amount out at the back since it was encroaching on June. It is a very strong grower.

• mbug_gw
    3 months ago

peren...LG is a new one for me. Leaves should become wavy as it matures.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 months ago

mbug, your Liberty is quite beautiful!

debr