SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klem1

Wind scattered my leaf pile

klem1
4 months ago
last modified: 4 months ago

So next time I'll bag them, put them at the curb and buy mulch from the garden center. I have no construction skills nor tools, old pallets look awful and I can't afford to buy bins. Have you heard something similar from beginning composters? Those up front complaints make it difficult getting folks interested. The surrounding 2k - 5k population towns have two dates per year when residents can bring bulk items in for free disposal,only option remainder of year is take to a for profit landfill. I've been on a minor campaign to recruit voices for council meetings and only voices enthusiastic about recycling are going to show up and/or talk to neighbors. Three years ago I began introducing folks to a method for handling leaves which overcome complaints mentioned. I have been pleasantly surprised by not only good reports but people doing it on advice of a neighbor. The key element is widely available in Eastern states and I'm sure other states have suitable substitutions. Flat ,feather shaped Eastern Red Cedar limbs do an excellent job of holding leaves ,are easy to pull aside for making additions to pile while appearance is not near objectable as majority of budget bins. Even after leaves have rotted limbs and twigs larger than a pencil are not rotted but remain intact making it easy to pull them out. Some say Cedar is not suitable for compost and a few claim it can be detrimental. Cedar shavings are very popular for horse stalls and scores of people swear by those composted stall cleanings. Besides that, as a % the amount of Cedar is very small in finished leaves. I hope this helps some of you that find yourself with leaves and no where to put them or that don't like the appearance of pallet bins.

Comments (6)