SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_matson20

Air Tight house make up air ventilation system.

Andrew M
5 months ago

Hey guys,
I'm building a tight house (full envelope and passive standard but will not certify). In a climate that is 85 in the summer and 20 in the winter.
The house has an open layout with very high ceilings. The living room/ kitchen area is around 1200 Sq. Feet with ceiling height around 15 feet at the peak in the kitchen and 25 feet at the peak in the living room.
Ive spent quite a bit of money to make an envelope of airtightness and don't want to mess it up. We do have a chimney insert, but the air will be drawn from the exterior and the whole insert will be inside an insulated and airtight box.
So down to the issue:
My kitchen will have a 48" gas range with around 90000 btu. Though it's highly doubtful that I'll use all at once, I do want to prepare for it.
So will be getting a 900 cfm range hood to go along with it.
Now my idea is to have the extracted hooked up to a berbel wall box to maintain air-tightness.
https://www.berbel.uk/extractor-hoods/accessories/exhaust-accessories/wall-box/
The idea is to put in-line with the ventilation hood electrical so it opens whenever the hood is on.
As for the Make up air, my idea is to install a Canadian well (will already have 1 for the hvac system). This should normllalize the air temperature that enters the house. If it's 35 degrees out, the air should enter at 55-60 based on my calculations.
The Canadian well ventilation will enter into the house, the idea being that it warms or cools the air during the respective season.
Once the air enters, it will pass through a an electrical resistance duct heater in line with the same electrical as the vent hood. Will install an on-off switch as well to turn it off in the summer or whenever it's not wanted / needed.
After this, the duct will continue and I plan to put another berbel exhaust flue or similar (also in line with hood extractor electricity) Not sure if a fan is needed at this point or it will be sufficient to have passive airflow as needed.
I suppose since the seal will be after the ducting enters the house, I will need to insulate the duct on the interior. Alternatively I could find an airtight flue that goes in line with the ducting and place it at the barrier between exterior/interior.. In case someone knows of a product like that let me know.
In any case, I think in this way I'll be able to put relatively warm make up air in the house during the winter.
What are your guys' thoughts? Should I add a pressure sensor to the system? Or just have it automatically activate with the hood? Does it seem viable? I'm not an arquitect or builder.
Any ideas to modify or improve this assembly?
Thanks!

Comments (26)