SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kmcgowan35

Remodel Before + After, Mix of MCM and New

chicagoans
5 months ago
last modified: 5 months ago

Backstory: In 2020 I sold my long term family home where my (late) DH and I raised our kids and where I lived for ~25 yrs. Downsized to a rental. SO and I wanted a one level home with a large garage or room to build one (he has many vehicles) near the Chicago suburb where I spent all those years. Basically... a unicorn, since all the small houses on big lots in this area have been demo'd and replaced with McMansions. But we found one and purchased in January. Perfect for us because it's on a great little street, backs up to a wooded area with a creek, and hadn't been remodeled -- I wanted to gut and make it my own.

We changed just about every space, from raising the ceilings to removing walls to new floors and paint everywhere and of course a new kitchen for me. We mixed in a lot of SO's vintage / MCM lights and furniture with new purchases. We moved in just before Halloween and got to see the cute neighbor kids for Trick or Treating. (Not in the budget: renovating master bath and main guest bath, so those just got paint and new hardware. They're fine and we may tackle in the future.)

Front entry before/after:

LR and DR before / after:

Mudroom (completely new space.) Yes I like sunglasses :)

Kitchen (I was able to give my brother the refrigerator and DW and the workers took some of the other items. No surprise no one wanted the lights LOL):

We put a broom pullout in an empty space behind the coffee station where a closet used to be; it was the last cabinet installed (just a few days ago) because they needed to rework the tracks. That's why it's still empty.

Family Room area (we have not yet hung the TV over the fireplace; we added the two big windows. Back door is new too):

First floor powder:

Lower Level - This is SO's domain and has just a small bit of his vintage items. It's a work in progress and likely always will be:

Before LL:

After:

Bonus pics of the nighttime view from my office / guest room and some visiting neighbors:

Eating some of my weeds. I have plenty!

Comments (31)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!