SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saabturbo99

Normal Holly Leaf Drop or Something Else?

saabturbo99
6 months ago

Red Oak Leaf Hollies. I planted them (properly) a few years ago and they had been doing great. Container grown. Roots spread out. Planted high. Watered properly. Thrived first few years.
Some leaf drop of the INNER leaves this spring. One of the three dropped more than the others and was looking pretty thin.
Fast forward now to fall and it still looks somewhat thin, and remaining inner leaves can be seen in the attached photos (key is that the photos are from now, the fall) as all spotty and yellow. Very outer most leaves seem OK.
Is this more normal leaf drop or is this excessive/abnormal for fall. The outer most leaves are still OK, but that wouldn't leave many leaves left if the spotty ones fall soon.
Some backstory. These hollies are along a property line. My neighbor's driveway is only about 2 feet away from the property line, and they have sprinkler heads along their driveway that spray out towards me. Hollies are 3 to 4 feet in from property line but the holies/my soil are hit by their sprinklers. They water too often. Their sprinklers use well water not public water, so no idea what pH is. They also had some masonry work (patio) done last year and the workers used the driveway as a work area ... lot of rubble ended up in my bed...removed what I could. Assume mortar rubble is fairly alkaline.
I didn't do a soil test. But the abundance of water... potential alkaline well water...mortar crumbles...and yellowing leaves, albeit only the inner ones, made me suspect chlorosis.
So, a month ago, I removed all mulch and I put down some organic compost and espoma soil acidifier. More recently I put down some espoma iron tone.
Neighbors are difficult to deal with. I'd be better off erecting some kind of barrier to stop the sprinklers if that is causing the problem (there is a fence there now right next to the hollies but it is a split rail, obviously doesn't block water).
What do you guys think? Chlorosis or normal leaf drop? All 3 hollies have it, but 2 to a much lesser degree. All 3 are same species... The one suffering more was a different grower. They were performing similarly until this spring.

Comments (9)