SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paradoll

Help with kitchen lighting - 4 or 6 recessed lights in 13 x 10 kitchen

Theresa L
6 months ago

We’ve gutted our 70s kitchen and taken down a structural wall. Out old kitchen had one track light for general lighting with five GU10 bulbs, two led bulbs over the sink and old generation under-cabinet LED strips.

The new kitchen is U-shaped, and roughed in for electrical but I need help with where to put recessed lights. We are going with cans and not wafers based on the pros/cons discussed everywhere, cans that take GU10s.

I had a 6-can layout in mind, 4 lights near the counter edge in square form to have two light sources per counter, a light by the back door and a light in the hallway leading up to the kitchen.

The electrician came and was suggesting it would be better to use a 4-can layout, with just two lights in the walkway in the center of the U shaped kitchen, and two at the door/hallway

I’m afraid recessed lights in the centre of the kitchdn might cast shadow on the countertops from my head on all counters for day-to-day use, especially because we usually use the ceiling light switch, and I don’t reach for the undercabinet light unless I need to for some serious cooking, shadow casting from the light or odd hours of the night.

We had MITTLED ikea cabinet lights purchased but with the electrician’s advice going with his LED strip/tape, and dimmable spotlight roughin above the sink for task lighting.

There is a eatin 7’ peninsula with 12” overhang and we have a simple 3’ black bar/linear LED pendant for it.

The ceiling height is just shy of 8’ and the kitchen area is about 12x10’

What would you go with? Or something completely different?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!