SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_483877812

Exterior Remodel Advice Needed

Jordanm57
6 months ago
last modified: 6 months ago

Hey everyone! We will soon be undertaking a fairly extensive exterior remodel and was hoping to get some advice and suggestions.

The scope of this remodel will include all new Hardie siding as well as new exterior doors and windows. The hope is go have a more modern/contemporary look when we are done. We are planning to cover and/or remove all current siding which is a muxture of cedar, T1-11 and stone. The majority of the Hardie will be smooth lap siding with a 7” reveal. We are planning to do board and batten above the front door and above the lap siding on the peak on the front side of the garage. The windows we ordered are black and we are planning on doing a stained wood front door. None of this is set in stone yet (except for the black windows which have already been ordered) and we were hoping to get some input on a few things.

1. We are currently undecided on if we should remove the stone or not. I know the look is not exactly modern and it does have an orange tint to it. We like the idea of removing it as Hardie would provide a lot more moisture resistance as well as reduced maintenance over time. However I do think the stone adds some character and I worry that removing it might make the house look boring. If we did decide to keep the stone it would require some repair as there is minor cracking present.

2. We are also torn on what color to paint the house. We have discussed painting the body a slightly off white and sticking to the bright white trim. I feel like this is a nice safe option that would probably be in style for years to come. We have also discussed doing a dark green or even a dark gray/light black color. We do like the monochromatic look with the dark colors but I worry that the light roof may not go well with such a bold color choice. Also if we choose to keep the rock I feel this may limit our color choices.

3. We are also planning to add gutters. We have considered white, black and copper but are unsure of what would look best with which color.

These are the things that we are still very much up in the air on but any other ideas or suggestions are welcome! My apologies for the long post. This project has turned into quite the undertaking and we want to make sure we get it right. We would appreciate and feedback and advice you guys are able to give. Thanks!

Edit - Sorry for the shadows in the pics. Ill try to take some better ones later on.

Comments (6)