SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berty2121

help with primary bathroom layout

berty2121
7 months ago

Hello. I need help. Not happy with the primary bathroom layout we have so far. I don’t like the long walk from my side of the bed to the water closet and not loving the corner vanity (my hubby and I are big people we will be bumping elbows!).

I was thinking of splitting the vanities and putting a door from the primary bedroom between them (removin the linen closet there). But then will the bathtub be too close to the vanity? I think it would be only 24” from the vanity. Plus maybe I can now put a makeup station in the corner where the linen closet was.

Another option. Is to then turn the bathtub 90 degrees to face the window but then I lose the 36” entrance into the shower that I want to keep incase a wheelchair is in my future. We could move the water closet down into the walk in closet to make enough space for the shower entrance then.

I want to keep the bathtub and shower on the window wall because we have a lake view. Any suggestions as to how to make this space functional? Am I a fool to think moving the water closet down into the wall in closet will help and I won’t notice the space lost for the closet? Where would the linen closet now go?

Comments (39)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

If a wheelchair is in you future, rethink the entire layout of the entire house. You will have difficulty operating the doors and will not be able to use the toilet, in addition to other issues.

• berty2121
    Original Author
    6 months ago

So we have done the entire house with that in mind. The wall for the toilet water closet would be removed if that were needed. I’m specifically asking for help with this bathroom layout.

• Related Discussions

Help with bathrooms. Divide to two bathrooms or do one large bathroom?

Q

Comments (15)
    I agree with Cpartist"s layout and like moving the closet over as suggested by D M so that bedroom 3 has easier access to the bathroom. Do you have room to have the toilet face the tub and add a linen cabinet next to the toilet? How wide is the tub toilet area?
    ...See More

Help- Off set or Straight set Marble look tiles in primary bathroom

Q

Comments (10)
    I can tell you what im doing with the same size and type tile, maybe it will help. We are installing a callacutta oro tile. We layed it in a straight set ( grid) and it looks modern and beautiful. Ill add that we stacked the sides of the shower with the back wall in a herringbone to add just a bit of detail. To me, its beautiful. A marble like tile naturally can have a lot going on and i feel like the simpler laying pattern makes it seem like just a bit less going on (if that makes sense). Your bathroom will be beautiful and dont second guess your choice of wanting that tub. Its YOUR bathroom. Design it to suit your wants. Good luck.
    ...See More

primary bathroom remodel needs help

Q

Comments (1)
    I was thinking of a walk-in shower like this one, without the jacuzzi and slider to outdoor patio! Clearly a high end home, but inspiring.
    ...See More

Need help for dated windowless primary bathroom

Q

Comments (22)
    Thank you for brainstorming ideas to jumpstart planning changes for my bathroom. There is nothing wrong with the tile, I just don’t like the color of tile and I believe a whiter bathroom is more of my style. The exhaust fan has recently been replaced to better control the moisture, so it is not going to change. I like idea of a feature wall behind the tub. The bar light over the mirror seems off to me because of the angle. Would sconces mounted on the mirror help to distract from lack of symmetry?
    ...See More
  • Gina Gilgo
    6 months ago

I agree you have a problem. What if you switched the sink thank backs up to the closet with the makeup area. The sick adjacent to the make up area could be designed for the person who used the make up area.

• berty2121
    Original Author
    6 months ago

So I am still left with the problem of having the door from the bedroom into the bathroom be the furthest from the side of the bed that I use. And it would mean we are sude by side and we would still bump into each other. Lol.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 months ago

"So we have done the entire house with that in mind."

Who is "we"?

• berty2121
    Original Author
    6 months ago

My architect and designer and builder and myself. Lol.

• bpath
    6 months ago

• berty2121
    Original Author
    6 months ago

That’s an interesting idea. Is that a makeup station next to the window wall now? Will that be too close to the bath tub?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 months ago

Consider having the walk-in closet accessible only from the bedroom and borrowing space from the walk-in closet with a more efficient layout.

Concept:

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    6 months ago

I was thinking the same as Mark--your closet is huge, as big as some bedrooms, so I'd borrow space from that.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 months ago

Just closing the door off from the bathroom to the closet will pick up space in both rooms.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    6 months ago

A simpler solution is to put the bedroom/bath door at the lower corner, then put a 10-foot long vanity with two sinks all the way to the window wall. Linen shelves could be on top of the vanity in the corner near the window, so that the reduced clearance by the tub is not an issue. Then put the make-up table in the bedroom in the upper corner next to the window.

• berty2121
    Original Author
    6 months ago

So if we do the 10 foot vanity it looks like the one sink would still be somewhat right in front of the bath tub would it not?

We would like to keep the door between closet and bathroom so the early riser can get ready for the day and not walk back through bedroom and wake up the light sleeper.

A ver large walk in closet has always been a dream and between both of us we want storage for all our shoes/winter clothes etc.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    6 months ago

No, as I said there would be linen shelves in the corner next to the tub, not a sink.

• T T
    6 months ago

Given your desire to have an early riser not disturb the other, I think it's a great idea that you're able to get into the bathroom and get all of your clothes from the closet, and even escape through the closet without ever having to go back into the bedroom. Just thought I'd comment on that to note that your plan seems great to me. I know others may disagree, but do what works for you.

• lharpie
    6 months ago

This seems like a case of somethings gotta give. I don't really understand the whole island in a closet thing. Much like cramming islands in kitchens that don't fit, this seems like you could hanging space on the side of the closet, no island, and have a smaller closet with the same amount of storage. I guess it wouldn't be the giant dream closet, but I'd go with storage space as the important measurement of success here. Otherwise I'd put a hard no on any of the plans that have your door opening to bathtub, vanity, etc. Bad planning and will be really not wheelchair friendly. It's hard to get closet as big as a bedroom, extra doors, double shower, standalone tub, makeup vanity, and toilet room comfortably into a space even as big as this. get rid of one and it will be easy.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 months ago

Was efficiency any part of that dream about the very large walk-in closet?

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    6 months ago

There's nothing wrong with a door to the closet from the bath if the bath is laid out as I suggested above. There would be plenty of room for a wheelchair to maneuver if needed. And if space and budget permit, who are we to say the dream of a large walk-in closet is wrong?

The island in the closet, though, would be problematic for a wheelchair. I would suggest an experienced closet designer to arrange the closet in the most efficient and accessible manner.

• berty2121
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Yes the island closet will be on wheels to be moved or removed if needed. I wanted to avoid a dresser in the bedroom so wanted a double sided dresser island but that was just an idea. Not set in stone. Trying to utilize the space in the middle of the closet. I may end up taking some space from the closet to maybe move the water closet south to make more room to extend the shower so I can spin the tub to face the windows and thus make room for the spilt vanity. All of this feedback is giving me good ideas for different layouts though.

• bpath
    6 months ago

You didn’t askt but (ther perils of posting any part of a floor plan!) in the laundry room, how will you clean the window behind the machines, or access the cabinet in the far corner? Will you be able to open the dryer (and washer, if front-load) door past 90°?

• berty2121
    Original Author
    6 months ago

I am not loving the laundry room layout either. Was wondering if stealing one foot from the primary bedroom would help us come up with a better layout (where the dryer is still on the exterior wall). But one problem at a time!! Haha. I’m sure I will be back here asking with help on how to rearrange that room! I may actually post that question later today! Lol

• bpath
    6 months ago

You’d have to downsize to two full-size instead of two queens. As it is, there isn’t much walking-around space in the bedroom on either side of the bed.

By the way, before you need a wheelchair, or even in the same time frame, you will likely have a walker. You will want no sharp turns, and wider doorways. The laundry room will be impossible with a wheelchair, and difficult with a walker. Even if you can use a wall or counter for support, the walker has to go somewhere.

• berty2121
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Good point. I may go to one full and one Queen or two fulls but I don’t think that extra 1 ft will give much in the laundry room. I thought 3ft doors were plenty wide for a wheel chair no?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 months ago

A 3ft door is plenty wide for a wheelchair, but if it is difficult getting to the door, it doesn't matter how wide the door is. Designing a barrier free house starts at the street and every point thereafter.

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    6 months ago

Your plan is drawn with two queen size beds right next to each other. How will you make the beds?

• bpath
    6 months ago

Three feet might be wide enough for a wheelchair and walker, but does the door clear the opening when open? If you have to make a turn at the door, that makes a big difference. Same with a walker.

• berty2121
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Any other suggestions about how to make room between my bathtub and vanity if I want to split the vanities and have the door from the bedroom to the bathroom be closer to the hallway?? This is my husbands suggestion but I think it would be tight to get past the bath tub into the shower?

• T T
    6 months ago

That drawing would seem to require awkward paths around the tub and toilet. If you really want to play with spaces and layout, I would recommend drawing out the outer walls of the space on a sheet of graph paper. I recommend 1 square bring equal to 1 foot. Then also separately draw out, to scale, the size of your vanity, shower, tub, and toilet. Cut each of these out and then play around with laying the elements out in different ways. This will help you see what works and what doesn't, especially if you keep in mind wanting at least 3.5 ft walkways with 3 ft doors.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    6 months ago

What is the purpose of the door into the closet from the hall? Just to save a few steps? It seems as if that door were closed off and hanging rods/shelf/drawer units placed on that wall the island and closet could be shrunk down. If you think about getting dressed, one could stand or sit in front of drawers/shelves and then grab hanging clothes all in one efficient move. Current option has one getting clothes out of the island and then maneuvering around it to get hanging clothes.

Door into bath could be where linen is, then door to closet. Tub shifted down wall to bedroom, shower rotated along outside wall. Makeup area between shower and toilet. Vanity on wall up against bedroom.

Not sure if this is an issue or not, but you mention that you are big. Will you fit in the proposed soaker tub comfortably?

• suzanne_m
    6 months ago

One possibility. I stole about 1ft from your closet. You have about 5'9" space for your make-up vanity, chair and door. I think it could work if you use a stool that you keep under the vanity when not in use:

• berty2121
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Thanks Suzanne. This does use the space better. Still have the problem of the walk to the toilet being a bit far from me. We were trying to avoid putting someone’s vanity right next to toilet wall in case we needed to remove that wall someday to accommodate a wheel chair. This new layout does give me some ideas though!!! :)

• bpath
    6 months ago

I think that what you really need to do is go back to the architect or designer and give them your requirements. The easiest solution is to change the side of the bed you sleep on, but I know, trust me, that is non-negotiable! This plan won’t be fixed by tweaks, it needs to be designed fresh for you. It may involve moving the bedroom, closet, bathroom, laundry, entries.

• Karenseb
    6 months ago

Don't know if this would work. I wonder if it would be good to add a foot from the closet to the bathroom, move the bedroom entry down a foot and add the bathroom entrance there?

How do you make two beds pushed together?

Where do you hang bath towels? Not sure if you moved the tub to the left if your could put a floor towel rack between the tub and shower. Maybe do narrow shelves to the left of the tub to hold towels, etc..

It is not a good idea to have a shower head pointed at the shower door. Can you move it so it points to the end?

I made the toilet room about 7 feet long.

You could add a tall dresser in the corner and a small peninsula across from the hanging clothes.

• berty2121
    Original Author
    6 months ago

I like this more efficient use of space. What is between the toilet and shower? Also is it awkward to have the bedroom door so close to the bathroom door? I see the point about the two beds pushed together. Haha

• Karenseb
    6 months ago

I agree the bedroom and bath door are close. It might work if the vanity is 6 feet long and the the vanity is removed. Then you could put towels in the space where the vanity was and a door that opens on the 48 inch side. Makes your closet a little bigger.

That is a makeup vanity between the shower and toilet.

You could do a smaller shower , say 42 X 60 on the top wall with the tub? Maybe that would give you more possibilities. Also standalone tubs are not as easy to get into and you have no ledge to put things on.

I think the 16 foot length of the bedroom is on the small side for two beds, unless you switch to single beds. You could do XLtwins and keep them separate or put them together to make a King bed.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 months ago

Food for thought.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    6 months ago

Queen mattresses are 5'-0" wide; queen bed frames are wider.

• berty2121
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Definitely interesting ideas. I was trying to keep the bathtub in front of the window and shower as well since we have a beautiful lake view. I think we will have to go with a king bed instead. I may just switch the side of the bed that I sleep on. Haha. I was hoping to do seperate vanities so I can’t creep in on my husbands counter space. I was also wanting to keep my dryer on an exterior wall as well. Had a friend with a dryer fire so I am paranoid about it. Thank you for all the sketches though! Wish I was as creative as you in coming up with different options.

• Mrs Pete
    6 months ago

If a wheelchair is in you future, rethink the entire layout of the entire house.

If you're not in a wheelchair now and don't have a degenerative disease, your chances of being in a wheelchair as a part of natural aging is fairly remote. You're more likely to need a cane or a walker.

And it would mean we are sude by side and we would still bump into each other. Lol.

Eh, how often do you actually use the sinks at the same time? If one of you is an early riser and will be up and out before the other, why do you need duplicate sinks?

Just closing the door off from the bathroom to the closet will pick up space in both rooms.

One of the best things about this layout is that you can access the closet from the hallway ... and that it's just across from the laundry room.

Given your desire to have an early riser not disturb the other, I think it's a great idea that you're able to get into the bathroom and get all of your clothes from the closet, and even escape through the closet without ever having to go back into the bedroom.

Yes, this makes sense.

I know others may disagree, but do what works for you.

I think the OP's trying to figure out works for him or her.

Had a friend with a dryer fire so I am paranoid about it.

That's not paranoia ... that's good sense. Try to place your dryer on an exterior wall and clean your dryer vent twice a year.

Other thoughts:

- I think you'll have some trouble with that sink that shares a wall with the closet ... the pocket door won't share nicely with the plumbing for the sink.

- On the other hand, a pocket door would work nicely on the laundry door.

- Where will you hang towels for the tub and shower?

- Where will you place the trash can for the sinks?

- Curbless showers are hard to build right /may end up leaking. Consider instead a 2" threshhold (that's the minimum); it's next to nothing and a hospital wheelchair can even roll over it.

- Since you are concerned about aging in place, consider taking the toilet out of the closet. Toilet closets are harder to clean and don't provide storage for medical needs at the toilet. Consider, instead, placing it at the end of a vanity behind a small pony wall. A bit of privacy without the negatives of the closet.

- I'd forget the island in the closet. I'd rather have storage all around the edge of the huge closet and a nice stuffed stool in the middle where you could sit down while putting on your shoes /lay out your suitcase while packing.