SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lizzy_410

October 2023 How is your Build going?

Liz888
7 months ago

Whether you are in the building, planning, or just-plain-dreaming-about it phases of home construction, this is the place for you! We are a kind group who share the joys and stresses, the mistakes and successes of this wondrous process.

Welcome! Glad you are here. (PS. We love pictures.)

Comments (154)

• Cecilia Stone
    6 months ago

Began building in June and this is where we are today

• Kelly M
    6 months ago

@TDinNC do you have to pull the rebar and dig them wider? I hope not!

@Keen B that finish is indeed great as is your craftsmanship. Well done.

Thanks to all for the inspirations.

• Related Discussions

It's October 2012 - How's Your Build Progressing?

Q

Comments (63)
    mfowler423-- The floors are from Lumber Liquidators, 3/4 inch hand scraped engineered hard woods called Tabacco Road. I have had several people ask me if they are Hickory but they aren't, I believe the wood is Acacia wood. I LOVE the variations in color where I can have any style go with it. And you can't tell really in pics, but they are covered in dust and they still looks great! So BONUS, they will appear cleaner than I'm sure they will actually be, LOL!! Whallyden, I love you blog too! You house has a very classic craftsman meets modern feel that I love! I know you are running crazy here at the end of the build, but we love the updates!
    ...See More

It's October 2013. How is your build part 2!

Q

Comments (70)
    flgargoyle - why the name change? Just curious. Good to see your post and glad to hear you are still at it! Congrats on passing your inspections. I am sure it is a bit more intense when you are the contractor/home owner. Can't wait to see more pics. We have a shed dormer in the front that is the small open area upstairs. I like it but sometimes wish we had 2 for bedrooms instead. :) So dh drove by the property this morning - 3 inches of rain in the basement. Rained all day long but a slight reprieve for trick-or-treat. It's back raining again now though. I cannot wait until we've got it boxed in - weather tight!
    ...See More

July 2023 - How is your build going?

Q

Comments (118)
    July has flown by already! welcome @Chandllerin and @Carissa! Great to have you both. @CSmith - loving how your house is coming together! the front door with tall ceiling and windows - so grand! May I ask where you got that copper light fixture? Did you pass your inspection? Keeping my fingers crossed for you! @Laurel C - Your countertops are in and looks great! I'm sure if feels good to have your house come together with all your selections - i can't wait for that phase. Have you picked out your backsplash yet? Do you have an ETA on CO? @worthy - I can't imagine being in your situation, my heart really goes out to you. I hope you have some ways to reduce stress. @agbhw - Your house is coming along -each stage is so exciting! I agree with @chicagoans about the breezeway. I would love to have that in my house if I had enough land space. Always been so envious of others who have that! @chicagoans - those countertops look amazing against the white cabinets. Really pops and the veining goes together with the cabinets nicely! How much more work do you have left? Do you have finish date on your reno yet? We are also over $100K+ over budget currently and in the interior plumbing rough in/HVAC stage. I see more overage happening throughout my build. The overage is in the non-pretty/design items such as HVAC, Water Tank, Electrical, Plumbing, storm water lines, cabinets, etc. I shifted my mindset to not let these get to me - I would previously have mini heart attacks when these overages occurred but now I say to myself "it is what it is". This post covid environment is definitely unpredictable so trying to make prudent decisions and move forward. We are working on HVAC and stuck on how many systems we need for our house. We had originally planned on three systems and HVAC/GC is recommending two. I know nothing about this so I spoke to HVAC friend and he's giving me really good feedback to how to set up our house efficiently - which is different from my GC's HVAC is recommending. My HVAC friend said he would never recommend the configuration that GC's HVAC is recommending. This is what makes me so upset. Is my GC looking out for my best interest when these recommendations come in? With my HVAC friends help and configuration, while I know this will increase my HVAC cost, it's worth the investment. Like @Laurel C - i want to make sure we have highly efficient system so I think it's worth spending extra $$ on this. Feels like snail pace at this point but will take what I can get!
    ...See More

August 2023 - How is your build going?

Q

Comments (128)
    @g m The garage floors were just over $6300. Unfortunately, since they've been installed we've started noticing several spots that are bubbling. We're very disappointed and I'm not sure what the remedy will be. (My SO wants them to grind it all off and start again with a different company - I'm hoping we can do something less drastic. It's in our GC's hands.) Note that this is an older garage and not part of a new build. Not sure if that makes a difference (they did fill cracks and pits ahead of time), or if it made a difference that they started the work during a stretch of 100* / high humidity days. Sigh.
    ...See More
  • Chandllerin
    6 months ago

@Keen B your countertops are gorgeous! Your kitchen is already amazing!

• agbhw
    6 months ago

@TDinNC I love North Carolina, such a beautiful state. Can’t wait to see the house go up!! @ceciliastone WOW that is awesome. And fast! I bet those windows let in the best light!

• Kyla McSweeney
    6 months ago

@Keen B I love the countertops and the cabinets. It is so beautiful. I have countertop envy over here.

@agbhw I love your setting, so different from here in MA where we are in the woods.

Ok, everyone, I need your help convincing MH that his decision on the doors is not the right one. He wanted to paint our interior doors, I didn't think we needed to, but acquiesced. I chose a nice bronze color after deciding against navy blue, because we have tons of black accents in the house, and I fear they would clash. Anyway, he started painting the doors today and likes the two toned look. I hate it! I told him I would source other opinions. It might take me going in and painting the rest. What do you all think?

He is making a lot of progress with painting though... I am so excited to see my decisions come to life. These are are two kids bedrooms. Daughter (10) on the left and son (almost 14) on the right.

Lots happening this week, even though the builders are waiting for the floors to acclimate. Internet is supposed to come tomorrow, IF that happens, the company installing our wired ring camera and smart lock can come Wed or Thursday. Carpeting for bedrooms comes on Friday!

• TDinNC
    6 months ago

@cecilia you must be so excited!

@Kelly M - luckily no, once they began excavation they knew it would need to be wider and did it that way pretty much from the start

@Keen B - wow what workmanship! Just beautiful.

• Debbie Klausing
    6 months ago

Kyla I agree with you. No to the two tone painted doors. Too busy imo- makes the eyes jump.

• agbhw
    6 months ago

Kyla - I’m a no on two tones too

• aklogcabin
    6 months ago

We are installing fiber cement lap siding on our new home. Alure brand. Goes up nice. Gotta get buttoned up before winter. It's been trying to snow here. I'm 90 % done with the electrical runs I need to get finished before we install the 6 mil visqueen vapor barrier and sheetrock. We will blow in cellulose fiber insulation. R 65-7 0 in the attic.

We do everything ourselves so taking a bit of time and energy but I enjoy doing the work. And have an independent building inspector to insure everything meets or exceeds current residential building codes.

• Kyla McSweeney
    6 months ago

My husband finally agreed to me painting the whole doors! Yay. Thanks for everyone's input. Guess painting in on this weekend's schedule. It is supposed to rain on Saturday anyway, so a good rainy day activity.

Also to my ongoing saga with internet installation. After 3 months and 4 visits from Xfinity they still couldn't understand that they needed to run wires because it was a new construction. After checking with our neighbors and confirming they were able to get Verizon Fios, I called them on Monday. By 3 pm today, our internet was installed. It just took me another 45 minutes to cancel the Xfinity appointment (which wasn't set til October 30), when I finally got through I told the tech exactly what happened without mincing words. He tried to talk me into installing or switching over. NO CHANCE.

• 2rickies
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

@Kyla McSweeney, Glad you finally have internet! I think we found a place for our dish that won't be totally objectionable or interrupt a nice view from most rooms.

In recent updates, just about all our doors are in now, including the front door (no hardware yet).

We're finalizing cabinetry specs. The architect put a recessed toe-kick under the bookshelf/cabs on my office wall, and I'm saying I don't need/want a toe-kick there because it prevents me from having enough height for double-stacked file drawers. Is there a scenario where I'd need a toe kick? (It's not a desk.)

We're still getting prices for garage doors. Now it looks like we're going with a paintable composite door that's insulated, like Extira by Clopay or something similar called Accoya or Tricoya. Anyone use that kind of door?

Once the stone for the fireplace is in, they can put the last door on and then I think they're about ready to put the roof on, which feels like it will be a big milestone. But, today the builder said he's predicting a completed date that's 2 months later than we thought, which is bumming me out. Plus I drove myself crazy trying to pick an exterior paint color, and now it might not get painted until spring. I'd rather not wait that long to find out it doesn't work and I need a different color! Oh well.

Here's one of our heat pumps:

Here's the front entryway. The middle one will be the door; the other two are fixed windows.

• Chandllerin
    6 months ago

Welp, getting laid off during a build was not on my 2023 bingo card. Send good energy for this year end/holiday job search. I’m thankful that things are moving slow with the build right now as we are still waiting for our pre drywall county inspection. Ugh. Never a dull moment.

• Liz888
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@chandllerin - i'm so sorry to hear about getting laid off. I know how that feels. I got laid off this year in March, just when we started building. It was such an awful feeling. I think the key is networking. Sending you good vibes and luck!

@2rickies - i love the front doors. I wanted a similar one but my dh vetoed. When was the original completion date and what is the revised one? Two months feels forever in my mind. My GC told me we would be delayed for two months due to our HVAC issue. We were due to be done by march '24 but now it's looking like May '24. I want to move in NOW!! lol

@kyla sweeney - glad to hear you were able to get full paint. I was also no on two-tone.

@keen b - i love everything about your kitchen. it looks amazing.!!

We have been making some progress. HVAC is done on ground floor and they are working on basement. Fireplace in in. Started work on exterior - installing James Hardie vertical board. I really like it alot from little I've seen. They drilled the well water - i think it took over a week. Main water line is connected. Nicor came out and set up a new service.

Container Store is having 75th anniversary sale on Elfa closets. I really like them, used them before. They are 35% off. They end tomorrow so if you are interested, go soon!

Met with foam guys today. I think we are about 4 weeks away from insulation (i hope). Here's our fireplace.

• ghatta
    6 months ago

@Lizz888 Don’t forget a whole house filter for your well. It is a necessity.

Liz888 thanked ghatta
  • Keen B
    6 months ago

@Liz888 Thank you! I cannot wait to move in and use my kitchen.. And I'm looking forward to seeing that fireplace of yours finished out.

Funny story about wells. My Uncle lived out in the country for 30 years, on well water. When he and my Aunt went to sell their home, the water had to be tested, etc.. The inspector said, "Geez, it's so bad, I'm surprised you're alive!" They never had any weird health issues. Still fine, now. But they did have to install a Big-Ass filtration system that took up a wall of their garage, LOL, in order to sell. Hope there are nice little ones these days.

@Chandllerin Oh my. How stressful. Here's hoping it gives you time to get your personal build done more quickly. And may you find a dream job quickly.

• Keen B
    6 months ago

I have not shared the Primary Bath wallpaper photos yet. I'd never make a living from a Blog, haha.

• agbhw
    6 months ago

Our weeks are getting busier and busier with the build. Last week was crazy - we had a plumber meeting, Amish working on the windows/starting the cornice frame, electrician crew was there. I was up there twice a day with the kids. This week I’m expecting electricians to finish rough in, hopefully have most of the cornice up, and masons to build the chimneys. I didn’t realize I needed so much picked out and here for plumber so he’s now gonna be pushed back until I can get the fixtures (well the rough in parts of them) in and some are six weeks out. I’m honestly not mad about it, kind of excited for a break haha. It won’t be a break though.. we will need a roof on during that time and the exterior stone has to start going up. Here’s some pictures of the Rumford fireplaces my husband dreamed and dreamed about - now going up. I wanted black firebrick, of course it was the most expensive option with the longest lead time. So we did the standard firebrick color and I have black paint for firebrick that will be put on asap. Also pictures of sunroom with windows finally in

• Kyla McSweeney
    6 months ago

I spent a good part of my weekend painting the doors. They are looking good, but a lot more to do. Also our carpet installation was finished yesterday. The picture looks more brown but it is really medium gray. Yes, the carpet installer was there on a Sunday!

We have a well too, I grew up with a well and never had a filtration system. We will see what our test says when it is up in running. When they first dug it, the test was really good.

• TDinNC
    6 months ago

In our last build we had a well and didn’t initially have a whole house filter. We quickly realized the need for one as our Rinai tankless heater clogged ALL. THE. TIME.

• worthy
    6 months ago

Today's excitement. (In a manner of speaking.)

Two storey wall section craned into place.

...and secured.

Here's your lumber worthy!

It's technically a "dump load". But, really!

• Kyla McSweeney
    6 months ago

Lots of progress yesterday. Baseboards were installed in the bedrooms where carpet was laid. Kids bath cabinets were installed. They came to template countertops. Mudroom cabinets were installed. Floors were installed. Sharing some pictures. We are getting there! MH reported there is a full crew on the floors today, so hopefully they can finish by the end of the week.

• Janet
    6 months ago

Trying to pick countertops. Some tile was being put down this week and still working on cabinets throughout house.

• AC M
    6 months ago

Janet, those are beautiful- love # 3 ( beautiful color and pattern) and # 1 ( so dramatic)!.

• AC M
    6 months ago

Kyla, your wood floors are lovely, what is the species and finish?

• Kyla McSweeney
    6 months ago

@janet I love the countertops, like AC_M I like 1 and 3 best!

@AC M My floors are Cherry. They are Bellawood prefinished.

Our Ring camera and SMART lock were installed today. MH was there and now needs me to teach me how to use them!

• Keen B
    6 months ago

@Janet I vote number three, though they are all gorgeous.

• 2rickies
    6 months ago

@janet, another vote for #3! So striking!

@Kyla McSweeney, love the cherry floors!

For those of you in rural locations, if you're willing to share, how much are you paying for internet wiring install/data access points? How many hours of labor are required? I just got what seems like a really high proposal, and I'm interested in comparing.

For those of you who followed my color selection for the kitchen island, I just got the sample back from the cab company and the SW smoky blue looks great with the cherry and the stone wall that's in the space. It's definitely a gray blue.

• Debbie Klausing
    6 months ago

I like #3 the best. I’m thinking it’s the most timeless look.

• agbhw
    6 months ago

My vote is 3 too Janet! Very pretty.

• Liz888
    Original Author
    6 months ago

@janet - i think it's unaminous, #3 for me too!

• Liz888
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Is it just me or do you also feel the build process is painfully at time’s agonizingly slow? Does it speed up at any point? We are at the exterior phase with James hardie siding going up, I think we are 40% done. Interior wise hvac rough in’s are done.

Our area requires interior sprinkler system and that’s going in next and then I guess inspection. Then insulation and drywall. We are at month 7😩😩😩😩😩😩

• eclecticmuse
    6 months ago

Our home build was delayed due to weather issues, now that we‘re finally underway, the basement is poured, subfloors on, framed and almost all of the interior walls are up, and trusses ordered..

• worthy
    6 months ago

If only custom homes could be built indoors and placed on slabs it would all be so much faster!

28 May 2023

22 June 2023

26 June 2023

19 July 2023

1 August 2023

19 August 2023

16 Sept. 2023

2 October 2023

23 October 2023

• Janet
    6 months ago

You guys amaze me. Thanks for the votes for the countertop. I’ve been thinking maybe it was not a timeless look, and yet that was a comment! Really giving me some confidence. It’s quartzite, and I wanted granite. But it is so pretty!!!

• Janet
    6 months ago

And I guess I should add amaze me *in a positive way!!

• agbhw
    6 months ago

Incredibly busy week at our build. We’ve had really slow times. But this wasn’t one of those times. Electricians finishing rough in, masons building fireplaces (didn’t get updated pic), and Amish working on installing the exterior cornice. Our electricians tried to take the easy way out. They ran wire THROUGH our dormers upstairs on the floor. I told them that was part of the actually room, we can’t have wires in the room. They told me we could build a window seat in the dormers. We told them we didn’t want window seats, we wanted to walk up to the windows and look out. They said they talked to our framer and that he said he could build something to hide them. Of course they aren’t gonna pay him for his time. So they’ve got to come back next week and fix it. There is plenty of space above dormers to run wires, that was the easiest option for them and they took it. A small hiccup… cornice is going great. They built the frame first, and now comes the cornice boards. Also finalized my roof shingles. See next post, it won’t let add anymore pics.

• agbhw
    6 months ago

I made this collage to help myself compare my option to our inspiration house. The inspiration house has cedar shakes. Hubby said no to that long ago, so it’s been a long hunt for shingles. So many miles on the road to look at roofs! I stumbled upon this shingle last week. Found it in a nearby town. I feel like it’s a good match of color compared to the cedar shakes. Cedar shakes are top picture. Bottom two pictures are same house with different lighting and angle. It’s Certainteed Landmark Pro Weathered Wood Max Def.

• 2rickies
    6 months ago

@Liz888, work started on our road in early Sept. last year. We're now framed and roof is starting to go up next week. FP is in place, so stonework on that comes next. But we're still finalizing cabinetry for most of the house, some final lighting plan changes being made, kitchen cab order just placed. We still have a while to go.

@worthy, cool to see the phases of progress, slow though it may seem.

@agbhw, great photos and funny story about the dormers.

How do you all feel about neighbors wandering through your project-in-progress when you're not there? I've had a couple of people ask me if I mind if they take a peek. Others I think probably poked around without telling us. But we're in a very rural area, and our nearest neighbor is 3/4 mile down a private drive, so it's not like they can just happen to be walking by. They'd have to make a point of it. But I feel weird saying no, because they're my future neighbors! But it gives me an odd feeling, like, what if I said, can I come to your house and look around when you're not home? (I realize that's not the same thing!)

Fireplace:

Front door starting to look like something:

• g m
    6 months ago

I am excited to share that we have moved into our new home this week. It has been a great learning experience going through the build process (first timers 😊). I think we have been lucky that things have gone relatively smoothly. We had rented an apartment 15 minutes walk from the site and have visited atleast once every day & sometimes 2-3 times a day monitoring the process.

Here is our timeline.

3rd April 2023

15th June 2023

27th October 2023

Good luck to all of you on your build.

• worthy
    6 months ago

Six months from scratch. Great!

I did that once. Luckily, we were building in the summer on a 10,000 year old buried beachfront, which meant no foundation drainage problems and the endless delays that brings.

• pgjs
    6 months ago

@ g m How exciting! Your build happened so quickly.

@2rickies I feel weird about neighbors looking in, but at the same time would just say yes to preserve hopefully good relations. Hopefully, they won't overstep in other ways!

@agbhw Your roof choice matches your inspo well! Frustrating to hear about the electricians.

We've made some good progress. They're waterproofing the addition.

I'm feeling a bit demoralized because of some recent hiccups. The ceiling height in our addition is 2 ft higher than the rest of the basement. Our GC had some concerns about need a pump for the footing drain connection. They performed a sewer scope inspection and decided it would be fine. We told them we would be happy to adjust the ceiling height to avoid needing a pump, yet now we are told that we need a pump anyways.

Also, my GC talked to the finish carpenter about the wood ceiling, and they don't have confidence patching and matching it. I know people on here have said it's possible, but I don't want to push for it if they don't want to do it. The options they're suggesting are drywall, painting the old ceiling, or a new wood ceiling, either by removing the old one or by just putting the new one right on top of the old one.

I do really want wood, but as other things go slightly over budget, I have a hard time justifying it.

My other idea is put a built in shelf where the fireplace was. I also have seen a half drywall half wood ceiling before (https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6311015/mcm-exterior-update), but don't know how I feel about it.

• worthy
    6 months ago

ˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆ

Good to see the builder's concern for drainage and waterproofing!

• Kelly M
    6 months ago

I'm still waiting on a plan review letter, and a sense of foreboding is settling in. I've had too long to think about all the ways that they can trip this up or make it unfeasible.

We pushed several boundaries to get this design. Pumping the sewer, a long run for water and power, a really long driveway.

Zoning and arterial access.

I look at the sunk costs and wonder if I will be eating those for Thanksgiving dinner.

• Keen B
    6 months ago

My Goodness, lots of drama. @Kelly M That was one of the (many) times I struggled to keep my patience in check, because you really are at their mercy...

@pgjs Oh, I am so sorry about the ceiling wood. I hate that for you.

@2rickies I swear that one day when I ran to the store, I returned to discover, Kyra Sedgewick wandering through my build. We are so far into it that I'm not sure why she thought it was fine--you'd think the barking dog upstairs would have clued her in that it's nearly a "home.". She meant to go to the build two doors down, looking for the architect. Whether or not it was really Kevin Bacon's wife, I don't know, but good lord, if it wasn't, she sure has a double. And no, I didn't act goofy and star struck and get a picture. She just apologized profusely when I found her walking out, and complimented me on the house and we chatted about the community.

My feeling is...I wander through builds, especially if I know they are investment properties, but once the doorknob and finishes arrive, I don't go in. I feel others should afford me the same respect. I know people like to see how it's all being crafted and pulling together, so I don't mind. If it makes people uncomfortable, they can post no trespassing signs. I don't ignore those. When we bought the house we currently live in, the former owner just walked in one day to see what renovations we were making. I had never met her. Then I discovered she was still using our mailbox and address for nearly a year. I was constantly returning her mail to the postman. I then caught her checking my post for some government check delivered to her, so eventually I had to call the DMV and post office to force her to change her address..

@Liz888 Yes, the build goes so slowly sometimes. I had a melt down last week, because we are only a few projects from our C.O. at this point. I want to be able to start moving in some of the "extra" furniture and projects I've accumulated. (We are not moving into beach house til we retire, so I've been collecting deals and they are cluttering up my home.) But to avoid hiring movers twice, Dh decided we needed to move everything in before Thanksgiving and live with bare bones in our current home... so more than just the extra stuff---everything must go down. I was not prepared for that, not for the speed nor the idea of an empty current home... SO then because I freaked out, he did a 180 and decided to slow down--he gave our builder/helper a few weeks off...

Now I have no idea when the CO will happen. But at least the porch rails got painted!

• worthy
    6 months ago

Neighbours walking in? Unless they're invited, it's trespassing.

Should one of these uninvited tourists injure themselves, the property owner is at risk. We're paying nearly C$700 a month in liability insurance to cover that risk, and, of course, losses due to theft, fire etc.. And that's with a hefty deductible to encourage us to take all reasonable measures to deter trespassers friendly or otherwise.

• T T
    6 months ago

I fully agree with worthy that others should not set foot on your property without permission. Just because it's under construction and interesting doesn't mean I can just walk on to your property and explore. I feel it's crossing a line and not considerate of others. If your neighbors ask if it's okay to peek in, I would respectfully say no, whether it be for privacy or risk of injury.

• Kelly M
    6 months ago

The review letter came today!

My driveway plan got shot down, so now I have to draw and submit those changes.

They want to get stormwater engineering based on the square footage of our long driveway.

The rest is all details that THIS amateur missed or did not give enough detail on.

I'll get cracking on it this weekend.

• 2rickies
    6 months ago

@Kelly M, I can relate to that concern about sunk costs. Hope that other than the driveway the rest of the details in the letter aren't too burdensome! We had to submit stormwater and erosion control plans with our engineered driveway plan, too.

@Keen B, omg! Do you know about the six degrees of Kevin Bacon? You just made it into the network! 😂 For fun: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Degrees_of_Kevin_Bacon And check out the Oracle of Bacon, where you can plug in any star's name and see how they're connected with Kevin Bacon (it's entertaining for a minute...) https://www.oracleofbacon.org

Wow, I can't believe the former resident was using your mailing address and checking your mailbox--that's nuts!

@T T and @worthy, yes liability is a concern. The neighbor who asked me is in construction and I think he has an occupational curiosity about it, and he'd know to be careful, so I didn't mind. But given that there is another neighbor who had been treating my property like it was their local park and just showing up to take a long leisurely walk in the meadow...I wouldn't be surprised if there have been some unauthorized visits. If they tried that with some other folks living around here they'd be risking a bum full of buckshot.

@pgjs, I'm bummed about your wood ceiling. I wonder if someone like a woodworker would be more of an expert on how to handle that than the finish carpenter? It might not be something he's had to deal with very often as far as preserving existing woodwork? I wonder if you could ask your builder to confer with a specialist to get another opinion--or you could get another opinion yourself? In case the builder's motivated to do it the fastest/simplest way and doesn't want to be bothered with more input. Just an idea.

• Liz888
    Original Author
    5 months ago