SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eiko_cat

Property managers, what’s your expectation of clean?

Joanne Coer
8 months ago

Im a first time landlord in California. Pretty good tenants of 1 year moved. There’s some normal wear and tear repair items needed and the space is overall in good condition.

However, there is quite a bit of pet hair and some other hairs/debris all around the baseboard areas, some on walls, and some in cabinets. There’s also food stains/ other small stains, potentially pet stains, left on the walls/doors/blinds, some grease/food splatter in the microwave, crumbs outside of the fridge areas, and an item left in the dishwasher. Nothing crazy but definitely something the next tenants would not be happy with, especially if they have pet allergies.

The tenants had requested a pre-inspection and some of these items came up then, but the problems were still present after move-out, so I am considering charging a small cleaning fee just to clean up whatever was left unclean as it appears some surfaces had not been wiped down. Experienced landlord/ property managers, is this unreasonable?

I understand some landlords absorb move out deep cleaning into their cost of business. I’ve been a tenant for many years and it was my understanding that the place be returned as clean as it was when moving in, as stipulated in the lease agreement. Is something wrong with my understanding of this?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!