SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
davidrt28

Another open ended thread - name any genus you wish you could grow

davidrt28 (zone 7)
8 months ago

I've have prior threads on Unobtanium. For this one, all you have to do is name an entire genus that is out of reach for whatever reason. And yes, it could be that it's unobtainable - for that I could for example, list Bretscheidera. But I'm not going to. I'm going to list a genus readily obtainable, but I've decided I will never try to grow again in my garden after many failed attempts: Eucryphia. For those who can grow them in the UK or PNW, I'm sure you will agree there's nothing quite like them. Here on the US east coast, it's just too hot in summer anywhere it's mild enough in winter, and vice versa. Chile's climate is just too hopelessly different. Contrast with plants from California, where things like Fremontodendron and Ceanothus have lasted years between severe winters in my garden if VERY carefully sited. No amount of careful siting seems to matter with Eucryphia...they die after 365 days or less. Usually much less. 🤣 I used to have some hopes that the Aussie species might cross with E. glutinosa to produce something sorta hardy and sorta heat resistant, but the fact is, the AU species grow in the cool 'highland subtropical' mountains there and would surely languish anywhere in the southeastern US even before being hybridized. The whole genus is truly hopeless in continental climates.

I've now been in the UK twice at the right time of year to see them blooming, and the best word that comes to mind is heart stopping. I have a X Gordlinia that may one day get large and produce a similar effect, and actually some of my fall blooming camellias are getting close too, but it won't quite be the same. There's just something about the delicate airiness of them that is very unmistakable and shared I think with the Nothofagus.

It's fine if the example is relatively commonplace, like saying you wish you could grow Lagerstroemia in Seattle. Although in a place where you can grow Embothriums, I don't know why you'd bother!

Comments (28)