SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Can anyone here read shorthand?

dedtired
8 months ago

I have been going through mountains of family memorabilia and found and old dance card that was my mother’s. She wrote a note in the back of it. Part of it is in shorthand. Can anyone tell me what it says? it was from a dance that she went to with my dad when he was in medical school around 1940. I hope its not too terribly personal!

Comments (53)

• User
    8 months ago

Is this any help?

dedtired thanked User
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Thanks, ill give it a try.

• Related Discussions

Has anyone read "Grow Figs Where You Think You Can't"

Q

Comments (4)
    You could just ask whatever you need to ask here. There really are only two fig forums with a large member base. This and the one mentioned by Bob. I think the other forum has more members but most of them are also members here. The thing is there are only a few things that can be done to grow figs in northern climates. They involve covering or burying in the winter. Or potting and moving inside in winter. Or using a greenhouse. There are a million and one ways to do each and there is no perfect or best way. Just personal preference. I personally would prefer growing in large pots with one of ALâÂÂs Mixes and then moving them indoors for the winter. But I have a large adult son and a heavy duty hand truck to move them. If someone has a bad back and no large son or large friend a greenhouse is better. If you can afford it. Lots of people bury their trees or wrap/cover them with good results. All of the subjects have been covered in this forum many many times. No real need to go anywhere else. No way would I be buying that book.
    ...See More

can anyone here read --maybe mandarin?

Q

Comments (54)
    Back in the 70's when I was young and, in the words of Moms Mabley, "just as cute as I wanted to be," I had a dress that suited me right down to the ground...it was a narrow winter white cotton sheath with a mandarin collar and a long, wide sash, and it was covered in big black Asian calligraphic characters. I wore it and wore it, until one day I was standing in the will-call line at the theatre, feeling fabulous, and a Chinese family walked by, did a quick double-take, and burst out laughing. I will never know what my dress said, but I didn't wear it again outside my house!
    ...See More

Anyone here read Holly Mathis's blog?

Q

Comments (4)
    I do have her blog saved! I need to bump hers closer to the top of my list. I like the mix of fabrics she uses. I have a valance made out of that floral fabric on the couch (red pillow) but in the blue colorway. I think it's Raymond Waites if I remember right. Puuurdy.
    ...See More

April is here - what are you reading?

Q

Comments (136)
    I've had sporadic internet access over the past month, since we are in the process of moving. As a result, I've spent much more time reading all the books I've been meaning to read. So, in April, I finished: Naked by David Sedaris (he always cracks me up, though, the last chapter takes place in a nudist colony and sometimes his descriptions are a bit to apt to stomach) Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe (it was on my husband's reading list for a world history class and I started reading it aloud to him during a car trip--then of course I had to finish it) When the Emperor was Divine by Julie Otsuka (I picked it up because it was short-only 144 pages-but what a beautiful book!) Middlesex by Jeffery Eugenides (Not my favorite book ever, but lots to think about long after the book is finished) Stones in Water by Donna Jo Napoli (I love her YA novels that are take-offs on fairy tales, but this was a much harsher book about an Italian boy kidnapped during WWII and forced into hard labor for the Nazis. It was okay.) The Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst (It started gimmicky, but interesting. A man's wife falls from a tree in there back yard with only their dog as a witness, so he decides to teach the dog to talk. The story became really far-fetched with a weird society that surgically mangles dogs so they can talk etc. And it didn't even have a good ending.) Breathing Lessons by Anne Tyler (I loved this book. The entire novel takes place in one day as Maggie and Ira are going to a funeral for her friend's husband. Only drawback was that I had "Love is a Many Splendored Thing" running through my head for three days after reading it.)
    ...See More
  • maddielee
    8 months ago

What a sweet memento.

“The orchid, the white tie and tails…”

I would love if the shorthand reads: ’ I was so glad to get home and get my shoes off’

Hope somone can translate for you.

dedtired thanked maddielee
  • Ally De
    8 months ago

My mom knew shorthand, about a million years ago. 😄 I remember her saying it could be very hard to read someone else's because it was easy to customize...? No clue if that's accurate.

I miss her.

Sweet momento, no matter what.

dedtired thanked Ally De
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Wow, thanks, Orchid! I love it. My parents were so in love with each other. They were high school sweethearts.

Too bad the love didnt last becasue they were divorced in their early 60s.

• Olychick
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Glad Orchid could help. I checked with my friend and she says she never learned shorthand and I had to admit that I must be losing my mind!! lol

• bpath
    8 months ago

I got ”man” right!

dedtired thanked bpath
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Oly, you’re funny.

bpath, yes you did!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 months ago

Yes, that's what I read too. Used to take dictation at 140 wpm...

Interesting as it must be older than the 1970s when I learned it as there are brief forms used in the note that were no longer in use when I learned shorthand.

dedtired thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Patriciae
    8 months ago

My oldest sister learned it but I bet she doesn't remember.

Such a charming sentiment. Too bad it did not last but so it goes.

dedtired thanked Patriciae
  • justlinda
    8 months ago

I took Pitman, and the symbols used are above the writing line, on the line and below the line. These all appear to be written 'on the writing line'.

Edited to add: That was 61+ years ago, so symbols may have changed from what I learned.

dedtired thanked justlinda
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    8 months ago

I was trying hard but just not remembering. I could read and write shorthand from a high school office procedures class. I'm not going to tell you how many years ago that was and my first summer job everyone dictated into machines for transcribing at a typewriter anyway, they didn't dictate directly to staff. I don't think I ever used it other than some very few college notes.

dedtired thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    8 months ago

Gotta love the wisdom of crowds 😀

And 40+ years isn't what I'd call failing.

dedtired thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • salonva
    8 months ago

Sweet thread. I still have a full steno notebook from my dear mom who was a wiz at it. (born 1921).

I have no clue though to offer, but this brought up such a sweet recollection for me of her.

dedtired thanked salonva
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 months ago

The shorthand above is what I learned which is Gregg which needs no lines as Pitman does.

When I was in college, I was a good student and often asked by others if they could borrow my notes. I always responded sure if you can read them...they were intermixed with lots of shorthand. They'd smirk and walk away like I was cheating or something.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 months ago

This was one of my favorites in shorthand:

Sorry it's rough as I drew it with my finger.

I have not yet been able.....

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    8 months ago

I’m trying too - I have 6 college credit hours in Gregg shorthand from approximately a million years ago.

The last two symbols are definitely The Man. It’s probably ”and last but not least, the man” with the ”t” left off the symbols for the words last, but, and least. As I learned it, anyway.

dedtired thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    8 months ago

My mom graduated high school in 1935. She never had the opportunity to go to college or secretarial school She went straight to work. I dont know where she learned shorthand. She could type like the wind, too. Maybe they had business classes in her high school. I dont know. One of many things i wish Id asked her.

I guess shorthand is one of those lost skills, like cursive writing will be soon. Now i want to learn more about shorthand. Thanks for your help with this.

• graywings123
    8 months ago

Someday people will be trying to transcribe cursive writing this way.

• blfenton
    8 months ago

I agree that we are losing cursive writing - not just the skill of doing it but also of reading it. I think that someone should do a modern version of the Rosetta Stone for cursive writing and maybe shorthand should be added to it along with the "no vowels used" texting.

dedtired thanked blfenton
  • dedtired
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I was thinking that shorthand would make an interesting tattoo. I see tattoos in arabic and Chinese all the time. Shorthand is both mysterious and pretty. Maybe I'll get my first tattoo —- or not.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 months ago

I came up with a very pretty design for my wedding invitation...didn't end up using it though...it was 'his name' loves 'my name' in shorthand making a border. It was a great skill to have all through school. I was able to work as a sec'y when I was in high school making 3x what my GFs made at the luncheonette.

ded, your Mom probably learned it in high school. My mom was able to learn all kinds of business skills in high school that they just don't teach any more. Mom became a bookkeeper with just her high school education. Of course back then they also had business schools where you could go for a year or two.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    8 months ago

When i was in hs,you could choose the academic track or the business track. The business students, all female, took typing and stenography and bookkeeping. We academics studied useful stuff like earth science and algebra, subjects I only used in college and pretty much never again.

Do secreterial schools no longer exist?

• sjerin
    8 months ago

Like Solvana, I couldn't bear to toss one steno notebook of my mom's shorthand notes. She was born in 1920 and took a common track for women of that time. No money for college during the depression and after, for her.

dedtired thanked sjerin
  • SEA SEA
    8 months ago

Oh ded, that is a lovely thing to find. And find out what it says. So sweet. Sorrow that the zing did not last though. It must have been nice for you to have a moment to remember how in love your parents had been, at one time.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Sea sea, orchidrain translated it ” and last but not least— the man”

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    8 months ago

I worked at a public community college for many years. It offered a one-year certificate in secretarial science (which included shorthand) 50 years ago but that secretarial certificate was discontinued at least 30 years ago. Shorthand went by the wayside when computers started coming into common use. 40 years ago or so.

dedtired thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • Elmer J Fudd
    8 months ago

I had a somewhat different experience, littlebug. I started my career in the 1970s in a profession that involved a fair amount of written correspondence and file memos. This was before computers, before most word processing machines.

To do a unique, one-off item, we used dictation machines. I'd dictate the letter I wanted and give the recording media to the typing pool. They had foot operated play/rewind/stop pedals used to keep hands on the keyboard. They'd prepare a draft for review and then finalize it when corrected and approved.

So-called standard letters would be submitted by taking a copy of one used for the same purpose but with a different client. Words and data on the copy would be crossed out and additions or individual-specific info would be written in.

I once had a very experienced secretary who was skilled with shorthand and preferred it to using the recording equipment. That was fine, it was easier for her but it was harder for me because it took more time, so we rarely used her shorthand skills. She'd use it for herself to take notes when I was describing something I wanted her to do, but not for correspondence.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Littliebug, even the word secretary is no longer commonly used. Now we have administrative assistants. I had an admin for many years but honestly i could write and edit my own letters and documents quickly and easily.

I just checked and the community colleges near me still offer a certificate course.

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 months ago

I agree with dedtired, that term has been out of use for decades. At the time, more than 35 years ago, that was her job title.

• faftris
    8 months ago

I remember reading that Charles Dickens learned shorthand, and he worked as a court clerk. I fantasize that he wrote all the novels with so many pages because he was just whipping through the writing using his shorthand skills. No basis for truth, but it makes sense to me.

dedtired thanked faftris
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 months ago

I'm always amazed at the cleverness of shorthand. The symbols that represent letter sounds are similar by shape so if you miswrite something, it still will sound similar enough to be readable. For example a large left parethesis is a "b" sound and a medium sized one is a "p". A large right parenthesis is a "v" sound and a medium one is an "f". A medium upside down u is a "k" and a large upside down u is a hard "g". A short dash is an "n", a medium is an "m" and a long one is a "men/mem" sound.

• bpath
    8 months ago

I was a secretary for a few years. Sometimes my manager used a dictaphone which was interesting. Mostly we had form letters that I retyped, customized for the client. (in my first month I corrected several errors on the model form letters, from the previous secretary.) This was pre-word processors.

I found the change to ”administrative assistant” to be meaningless. Secretaries are their own job, it is a profession. They can often be the ones who know and handle more than the people they are ”assisting”.

My mom was an excellent secretary. She took such classes in high school and local business college, and when she moved to the big city she worked in the admissions department at a university and handled the influx of GIs returning from WWII. She took certificate classes at Northwestern University! and was the secretary to the head of another college. Later, she also was secretary of many volunteer and community organizations.

I can’t read her shorthand. There are some notes I’ve come across that would be very helpful to be able to read, judging from the ”English” that accompanies it.

As to being able to read cursive, I have some letters from long-gone family members where the cursive style is so different that I can’t even tell if it is in Danish or English, likely to be either, or both!

• dedtired
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Bpath, Ive been finding old letters and documents as I go through family stuff.. The handwriting is so fancy, full of loops and scrolls, that i can barely read it. It is beautiful to see, though . Imagine being taught to write that way.

Here is an inscription from the family Welsh bible. Its not only beautiful, its funny. William was not an educated person, so I guess he was taught to write this way while in grade school.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 months ago

Somewhere up in the attic I have my FIL's engineering notebooks he did back in the 20s...each page is a work of art. If I dig them up sometime, I'll be sure to share a pic or two.

• bpath
    8 months ago

When I emptied my parents’ basement, there was a packet wrapped and tied in brown paper.. When I finally untied it, it contained my great-grandfather’s drawings from his bricklaying training in Denmark, and another of my grandfather’s sketches from architectural school in fhe US. Of course, the lettering on those is iimpeccable.

dedtired thanked bpath
  • Lars
    8 months ago

I have copies of some letters that my great-grandfather wrote in German using German handwriting (Sütterlinschrift) from 19th Century Prussia, and I am the only one of my relatives who can begin to read them. German handwriting is mostly straight lines and sharp angles, which makes a lot of letters look the same or similar, and so it is difficult to read, especially if you do not understand the meaning from context. The letters were correspondence with an agent in Prussia who was handling real estate transactions for the sale of the estate there, and so they were not that interesting.

When I was in high school in the 1960s, I had to get special permission to take typing, and I was the first boy at my high school to be allowed to do so. I was still forbidden from taking shorthand, even though I tried. I was also the first boy not to take the second year of vocational agriculture, but it was impossible for me to get out of taking the first year of that. That was the most useless class I ever had to take, I think.

• vee_new
    8 months ago

dedtired, the form of writing done by your ancestor in the family bible is known as 'Copper Plate' which would have been taught to every child in England/Wales/Scotland/Ireland probably well into the 1900's. My late Father born 1911 was no scholar but had beautiful handwriting . .. an art sadly on the way out with the use of ball-point pens.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Vee , that is very interesting! I will make a note of it and enclose it with the bible. Thank you.

I am old enough to remember desks with inkwells, although we never used them. Getting an ink pen in school was quite eventful. As i recall, they had ink cartridges in them. I think it’s sad that fine handwriting is no longer taught.

Lars, I have some letters from previous generations but not far back and very few of them. I guess people tossed letters like we delete emails.

We all took typing in middle school. Later, in high school, it was only for girls, as was cooking and sewing. Boys took shop, which was wood and metal working. I thinkmimwojld have enjoyed agriculture!

• bpath
    8 months ago

Lars, my father took typing in high school. He graduated in 1945, so of course his next step was the US Army. He was asked if he had any special skills, he gave his typing speed and became a company clerk-typist in the Philippines and Japan.

dedtired thanked bpath
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    8 months ago

In our high school personal typing was for all ... a freshman year course. Later typing classes, shorthand and business machines were all girls. Probably by choice. It wasn't that girls couldn't take shop and boys couldn't take home ec, but more that they didn't. I doubt they teach any of that any more as I suspect kids are so keyboard oriented by the time they are 5!

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 months ago

If not used and rarely looked at, why retain paperwork from ancestors? It's not unlike needlessly keeping kid's elementary schoolwork. As if some rule or trust were violated by disposing of them. If one's offspring have no interest in having them (most don't), why postpone the inevitable?

I took typing in high school. Two things I recall from it - the female to male ratio was about 2 to 1 and the teacher was seriously strange and acted very oddly with female students.

Younger people I see using laptops or PCs too often are not using the optimal (suggested) hand and finger positions.

Here's a trivia question- the "home positions" for one's hands on a keyboard be found without looking. How?

• bpath
    8 months ago

The little ridges on the F and J do not exist on a virtual keyboard, such as I am using right now.

I can still touch-type on this, for the most part, partly because the home keys are automatic for me. But some special character keys vary among my virtual keyboards, which can be quite annoying.

• Bookwoman
    8 months ago

If not used and rarely looked at, why retain paperwork from ancestors?

Well clearly you wouldn't make a very good archivist! ;-) Without retaining such 'paperwork', historians would have a much harder time learning about the lives of ordinary people. Scanned copies and the like might not be readable in the future, but most paper remains in good condition if stored properly. It's not like these things take up a lot of space for most people.

And for some of us, having the originals means much more than having scanned or transcribed copies. I have letters from my great-grandmother to my grandmother and mother, written from the Kovno ghetto before it was liquidated. Unfolding the pages and seeing the Yiddish in her handwriting brings the tragedy much closer than reading the typed English translations I have on my computer. And my 30something children are both very interested in their family histories.

• Elmer J Fudd
    8 months ago

Bookwoman, I'm imagining a smile on your face with your first comment. If that's not the case, don't tell me it's otherwise.

I'll speculate that 99% or more of familial clutter will never be seen by a historian or someone else whose work and interest would concern such things, and is disposed at the death of the holder. If keeping items ultimately discarded makes someone an archivist, are hoarders "collection curators"?

I'm not sure I'd instantly equate an interest in family history with an interest in holding family papers but that's fine if you see it that way. My own kids have no interest in either. My wife and I feel the same way, that could be the source of their attitudes. We've fortunately offloaded most of such stuff, retained by my wife and not by me.

I'm sorry for the tragedy in your family history that your comment alludes to.

• Bookwoman
    8 months ago

Thanks, Elmer. And yes, it was with a smile.

• blubird
    8 months ago

I'm with Bookwoman as to the value of original source materials. i have very little (as in almost none) inherited “stuff” from my parents. So their naturalization papers and passports and the few surviving mementos are very precious to me. We have digitized these items, but there's nothing wuite like touching the same document that they did.

BTW, @Bookwoman, my husband's family left Kovno in the early 1900s, fortunately. My mother's family, from Velky Berezny, were wiped out entirely, except for my mother.

• Bookwoman
    8 months ago

So their naturalization papers and passports and the few surviving mementos are very precious to me.

Amen. So much was lost, an entire civilization.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Our Welsh bible is huge and heavy. It must have been incredibly important to the person who brought it over by ship. Imagine toting that across the ocean when I am sure they were quite limited in what they could bring. The woman who brought it ( Harriet) had a passle of kids, so Im sure it was extremely important to her. She arrived in America in 1871.

I can almost feel her hands on it when I touch it.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!