SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neelofurw

Help me with this kitchen remodel - analysis paralysis!

neelofurw
8 months ago

Hi-

I am finally updating my dark cramped 1970s kitchen. We are getting rid of the peninsula, pole, opening up the eat-in kitchen corners etc. I have attached a picture of the architect blueprint as well as current pictures. We are a family of 8 and spend a lot of time in the space. Can you help me decide how I should set up cabinets? I'd like a beautiful hood, light color cabinets (maybe a combo of warm white and white oak?), white counters and backsplash. Just want to lighten and brighten the space since there is no window in the cooking area itself. How big of an island makes sense - I'm worried that the blueprint island is too long and will crash into the breakfast table. I'm thinking I can just get away with a 6'x3 island with microwave drawer. Should I make sliding door bigger than 6' to let in more light or is that not worth the cost or two big an opening? One thing to note - the entire area where cooking happens has only a 7' ceiling. Rest of the eat-in area has an 8' ceiling. I'm completely overwhelmed by all the choices from floor color to cabinet/types/color layout to hardware and appliances.

Comments (24)