SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

My awkward beach house living room

Sueb20
8 months ago

Agghh I just wrote a very long post and lost it. So now I’m gonna try to make it quick. Looking for ideas for this weird L shaped room.

What is here to stay:

Sofa. Fairly new.

Coffee table.

Walls, windows, FP… no construction! Just trying to figure out a functional furniture arrangement.

I love to LOOK at the chairs that are by the fireplace but no one ever, ever sits there.

FP is not currently functional but if we start spending more off-season time here, we might get it fixed. The rug is going.

DH dumps his camera stuff on the FP chairs, or on the table by the window. I would like to put some kind of defined ”camera cabinet/table” somewhere so it doesn’t look so messy.

Ignore the dog crates, which are moving, and the extra coffee table and wooden chair. I am hoping to move the square table (by the window) which DH mostly uses for his laptop, into the sunroom.

The blue chair in the background, in the sunroom, could move into the LR.

What would you do with this room? Thinking I’d like it to be a space where 4-6 people could hang out.

This is as you enter from the kitchen. The bench on the left is going to a bedroom, I think.

Missing end table is being painted outside right now.

Toss out your ideas, please!

Comments (101)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

Okay I was on my phone but I am home now so I can blather on much easily.

I think of your layout as having two imaginary hallways (green arrows), and I think it might work best if they are treated as if they are indeed hallways, vis-a-vis furniture placement.

That's why I'd take your existing chairs and put them in the corner w the bookcases(s), instead of facing a "hallway."

The table and chairs in front of the fpl could look like too many legs, especially since you have several other wood legs with different finishes and styles in the room. If it does look that way to you, a tablecloth to the floor could work wonders. In a light color, it will also make for a visually lighter mass (although the green is cute and sets off your heart-shaped rock collection so nicely).

The fabric of a tablecloth would also of course soften the vignette (but so would a new r-word). I am envisioning fun with layering tablecloths and maybe with vintage fabrics.

If it still looks like too many legs with a tablecloth, instead of chairs you could get little wooden stools or even garden stools and slip them half way under. That way when you enter the front door it might feel less cluttered, Maybe put two chairs you can actually use against the wall as occasional chairs and pull them up when needed.

One other thing the table might do is create a focal point and a bit of any entry, maybe with a big vase or planter in the middle?

PS The author would like to thank AnnieD for use of her rendering.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 months ago

Sorry, I'm not liking the table in front of the fp. I really think that needs to be a seating area. Can you use the wood bench as part of a seating area, it's back to the staircase and the other two wooden chairs facing on the other side of the FP? Leave the small desk where it was.

Sueb20 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Related Discussions

Need design ideas for beach house living room

Q

Comments (0)
    Looking for design ideas for long “bowling alley“ shaped living room and dining room. Would like to have a TV but didn’t want to put TV over fireplace and was hoping to do something fun and beachy over the fireplace. Was thinking about putting TV on large wall but is it odd to put a couch under the window? Husband says yes. Heat is also under the window so a bit concerned about putting couch there. Help!
    ...See More

My awkward living room is driving me nuts!

Q

Comments (1)
    You could put the tv where you have the love seat. But if your furniture is too big for the space that's going to be awkwardness that never goes away... we've got the same problem at our house the furniture is just too darn large for the room. Could you cut down to just the sofa or just the love seat and maybe a couple small chairs? Small rooms really require that extra level of restraint when deciding what can stay.
    ...See More

I need help with my awkward living room

Q

Comments (6)
    Why are the couches far apart? Is there a room opening in between? Several issues that are important in room flow are people traffic and how to create an intimate conversation area. Right now, the seating is facing the tv, not each other for an intimate conversation. Much better might be to bring the couch near the large window and door set perpendicular to the fireplace so people can talk together. Another way to make this a better conversation area (as well as more flattering lighting) is to put the ceiling lights on a dimmer and have a table lamp or wall sconce in each corner and at chest height. Looks like there are a lot of items on the coffee table. One way to corral those items is to use a pretty tray or two.
    ...See More

Fiest Home..awkward L living room

Q

Comments (1)
    This is what I would do, you could also do a sectional that L shaped and do a smaller swivel chair to the doorway side. A long tv console.
    ...See More
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Annie, I see that in theory, but no one is going to sit in that FP arrangement. It might look cute, but it wouldn’t be used.

PS the cute vintage bench is not anything anyone over the age of 10 could sit on comfortably. It’s really just for dumping stuff on and looking cute, which is why it might be moving to a bedroom.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 months ago

Ok, maybe not that bench, but I like not only a seating arrangement there, but the back of something will help separate the seating area from the entry way as well as define the traffic flow through the room...the invisible hallways that mtnrd mentioned. It's really part of the issue with the room. My friend has a similar problem with a living room with an offset fireplace, a large window on the opposite wall, a front door entrance, a sun room entrance, a dr entrance and a kitchen entrance and the staircase. He must've changed the layout on that room 30 times or more over the years trying to get it to all work when the traffic lanes chop up the room so much.

It's hard to see without dimensions as to what might work where.

Sueb20 thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • Sherry8aNorthAL
    8 months ago

I like the chairs where you put them across from the sectional.( Photo 20hours ago.) I like the table and chairs in front of the firepace. Rocks not so much. Put them on the cabinet by the window.

I would put flowers on the table. Dried would be fine. No, a tablecloth would not work with the dogs. The brown one is a puppy, correct"

Sueb20 thanked Sherry8aNorthAL
  • nicole___
    8 months ago

The camera equipment isn't going away. No rock collection...and he can set it on top of a table...? Keep table tops clear....IMO The cute chairs aren't being used.....because...? They look uninviting? Maybe paint them white...new puffy muslin cushions...?

Sueb20 thanked nicole___
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Ok so I shifted the chairs ever so slightly…I think they will likely just end up being moved around as they get used anyway, but I think they will function best ie actually get used in this spot.

I moved the other cabinet down and plan to spray both in the same color (TBD) in a chalk spray paint. Too bad Target doesn’t make this cabinet any more because I could fit a third one! But this little bookcase is the same depth and height and could fit in the middle — obvs painted to match the others.

Also switched the bench from the bedroom with the one that was here. Maybe less cute but people could actually sit on this one and easily slide it toward the sitting area. And, it coordinates with the coffee table.

I know I have a lot of legs but kinda don’t care.

I will play more with the fireplace area later in the month. Going back to real life for a week or two!

PS obv that bench cushion is crying out to be covered in a cute fabric.

• maddielee
    8 months ago

Can we talk you into buying stuff?

I’ve always liked this look. Scale the chair size to what will fit, and upholster in a pretty bright fabric.

Sueb20 thanked maddielee
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 months ago

New question:

Paint the cabinets white, or a color? Maybe gray to coordinate with FP?

• Arapaho-Rd
    8 months ago

Saved Zuzu's room for years now. An all-time favorite.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I have that saved somewhere too. It’s not in my beach-house budget!

Some color options from the chalk spray paint:

I just used this blue for an end table. It’s slightly darker than the LR wall color.

Somehow I’m drawn to pink, maybe bc the room used to be painted pink. This seems very pale and vintagey.

Or gray like the FP brick?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    8 months ago

I really like the idea of three bookcases with a different one in the middle. They may need to be bolted or nailed together though unless you have perfectly flat floors, otherwise the little gaps could detract from the look. Could you use baskets along the bottom for camera stuff? I like the idea of a darker version of the wall paint for the bookcases. I think the room needs some more color, and the very pale pink (which is yummy) would get lost.

The "new bench" is super there. I like the other bench a lot, but it had too much visual weight, and I think it is good to have some matching in the room, so I like that it is similar to the coffee table.

Would you consider painting the mantle and or gray brick, and new sconces? The FPL kind of blends in with everything and I think it could use more presence.

I have that saved somewhere too. It’s not in my beach-house budget!

But it would it fit anyway? We have it in "the 8" ... our octagonal LR in CT, and I do like it but I always feel a bit odd as we are a family of 5. Someone gets stuck on a windowseat.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 months ago

What color would you paint the brick?

Could definitely consider new sconces. I have a lighting fetish in addition to my rug fetish.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 months ago

So I think I have convinced DH that he can walk 8’ more to the sunroom to dump his camera equipment on the table there. I will report back on that.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    8 months ago

What color would you paint the brick?

You are far better at color than I am. Generally though, I am thinking your room is blues and greens. Maybe jadeite?

Could definitely consider new sconces. I have a lighting fetish in addition to my rug fetish.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe something vintage or with an interesting shade.

I also liked what this woman did with FPL lighting layout in a recent video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nE9h9jrNgc

ETA - Maybe do a Ben Moore color match of your sofa, and then look at various strengths of that color?

Sueb20 thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Tina Marie
    8 months ago

I also like the sofa where it is located. I like the idea of the 3 cabinets/bookcases under the window. I would probably move the rock collection there instead of the tabletop. I also like the smaller bench and a print fabric would look great! I think I would paint the brick to match your beadboard. Actually, I don't mind the camera equipment, it kind of fits in under the map.

But, I would remove the pieces on top of the beadboard. Just my thoughts! It's a great room : )

Sueb20 thanked Tina Marie
  • Feathers11
    8 months ago

I rather like the rock collection on the table... but that's easily changeable. If you keep the chairs with it, perhaps make it a small puzzle or chess table. But the rocks seem really happy there.

The new chair location works well, and 3 book cases behind them would be a great addition. I'd do a darker color, maybe a few shades darker than the wall.

I'd get everything else in place before decided on FP color. And, even then, I'd probably just match it to trim color.

Yes to new sconces. I'm open to fetishes, and believe they must be indulged.

Sueb20 thanked Feathers11
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I found new sconces! How’s this for ”presence”?

For real, I would love to have a pair of those on our back patio!

I like these…

• mtnrdredux_gw
    8 months ago

LOL is that a mermaid?

For some reason, these choices are giving my "bathroom lighting" vibes. So I googled "sconces over a fpl" images, and they were all uplights?

Anthro has a lot of variety.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    8 months ago
  • Oakley
    8 months ago

I still say making a small seating area in front of the window which is opposite the sofa makes a great place for conversation between the two areas. Of course yours would be on a smaller scale. I'd sit there by myself everyday.

Sueb20 thanked Oakley
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    8 months ago

Pretty, @oakley, but not enough room on the left of the window; see below

Possible variant. Push both chairs directly back to the window wall/corner. Ditch the low round table and keep the one bookcase between them. Then add an ottoman or hassock for people to put their feet up. Which then takes me on another tangent. Are these chairs comfy? They are so pretty but maybe no one likes to sit in them? If not, I'd think long and hard about whether they are consistent with your goals for the room. It also occurs to me that they are night and day stylistically with your sofa, which makes it even harder to pull the room together when you are already fighting layout.

Just my 2 cents, and I love the chairs and the fabric.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I think the chairs are comfy. I mean, no one is going to curl up and nap on them, but we have several other places in the house for that! But it’s funny you said that because as I was moving things around I thought, if people end up actually hanging out here, maybe I’ll have to upgrade the chairs.

Like many beach houses, the furnishings here have been collected from thrift shops, yard sales, castoffs from our main home, etc. The only new furniture we’ve bought specifically for this house have been pretty recent (1-2 years ago), including this sofa and a chair in the tv room. I have a hard time convincing myself to spend real money for furniture in a house we only live in part time, but as we start spending more off-season time here…we need comfy places to hang out!

• Arapaho-Rd
    8 months ago

I only posted Zuzu's as a reference to the 4 seat grouping. Never thinking you'd be willing to go out and buy all new furniture. You have a beach house that's furnished - a wonderful thing!

Sueb20 thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    8 months ago

Like many beach houses, the furnishings here have been collected from thrift shops, yard sales, castoffs from our main home, etc.

I think that's how it should be!

• njmomma
    8 months ago

Just giving my two cents for what it’s worth…
    I love those floral chairs with the small wooden table between them!
    I would put them right back to the fireplace. I think the wooden table may give it a new look. I would eliminate the small area rug. I don’t think it is needed. If you have a basket, add one next to one of the floral chairs and place a throw blanket in it.
    Add all the book cases under the windows.
    If there is room. Add the green table and two green chairs to the corner in front of the book cases. Place a vase of flowers to the top of the table.

Sueb20 thanked njmomma
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Rugs are gone. And so am I, for a couple of weeks. When I get back to the cottage I will fiddle around some more!

I like this look but I think they will be too high unless I start relocating the junction boxes, which I do not want to do. I need to do some measuring when I get back.

I like these too even though they are very theme-y.

And spendy.

• Oakley
    8 months ago

@MtnRdRedux, now I'm thinking cornering the chairs & table between the two windows. We did that with a loveseat with a floor lamp behind it & we loved sitting there.

Okay, I'm sold on the arrangement in the corner. Maybe an open picnic type bench in front of the fp which would give extra seating if need be. When we have more people than seating I always sit on the stone bench next to the fp. Perfect for chatting or warming up.

I may sneak in when Sue's gone and do it myself. lol I see no other way so the middle of the room won't be crowded out. Room for dancing!

Sueb20 thanked Oakley
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    8 months ago

I like the first lights best.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Made some progress this weekend. Spray painting these things was such a pain. Taking the doors off, removing the glass, etc. But I love the color and although it’s not House Beautiful, I like it. The middle bookcase was supposedly the same height as the other two…oh well. I used contact paper on the back, which of course you can barely see now!

I can’t center them under the window…should I get rid of the lamp?

Ordered new woven wood shades for this window and some others.

Table remains the same, maybe weird but I like it.

DH piled his stuff on the chairs bc I had the contents of the shelves piled on ”his” table in the other room. But they haven’t moved since the last time you visited.

• teeda
    8 months ago

Love the color you painted the cabinets. I would move the lamp over to the cabinet in the corner, think it would look more balanced. Or leave it where it is and add something on the right cabinet to balance the height.

Sueb20 thanked teeda
  • Jilly
    8 months ago

Oooo, loving seeing project pics! Everything is so charming.

Sueb20 thanked Jilly
  • 3katz4me
    8 months ago

Yes - lamp to corner

Sueb20 thanked 3katz4me
  • rubyclaire
    8 months ago

Looks great! And yes to lamp in corner - let that natural light shine in unobstructed 😎

Sueb20 thanked rubyclaire
  • Arapaho-Rd
    8 months ago

I like the lamp where it is! love what you did, the paint, the grouping, all of it. To me, the lamp balances things with the wall art.

• Olychick
    8 months ago

Those turned out wonderfully! As to the different heights and inability to center on the window, what would you think of stacking 2 together in the corner with the 3rd adjoining under the window? If not that, then you could use some felt pads on the bottom of the open shelf unit to raise it up to be even with the others.

Sueb20 thanked Olychick
  • Jilly
    8 months ago

I love lamps in front of windows lit up at night (from inside and outside), so cozy. I vote keep it where it is.

Sueb20 thanked Jilly
  • rubyclaire
    8 months ago

Jilly and Arapaho may be right. Could you humor us "move the lamp" people with a photo of the lamp in the corner next time you are there and feel like it?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 months ago

I need to still play around with what’s on top of the cabinets, but I kinda like the lamp over here.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    8 months ago

It looks great! I am in the "lamp in the corner camp". And you know i love the table with the cool rattan stool. The cabinets are so pretty and I don't think it matters at all that they're not the same height.

• Jilly
    8 months ago

Ahh, ok, you convinced me to join the corner camp! That looks great!

Sueb20 thanked Jilly
  • Arapaho-Rd
    8 months ago

I still stand alone at the window LOL

• Irish2
    8 months ago

@Arapaho-Rd I think you need to make room for me there next to you. The room changes look great @Sueb20.

Sueb20 thanked Irish2
  • teeda
    8 months ago

I also want to add that I love the paper backing and the way you accessorized it all!

Sueb20 thanked teeda
  • rubyclaire
    8 months ago

Oy vey - I don't know now! It looks a little "right heavy" in the corner. You have such a good eye Sue, your original placement might be the best. I'm such a help...not.

• yeonassky
    8 months ago

Do you need the lamp in the corner? Sorry if I missed your discussing that and just can't find it now.

I'm wondering if there should be a light over your picture so there is light in that corner and maybe a flower vase or something instead of the lamp on the table.

I'm in the I like it better in the corner camp but as RubyClaire said it seems a little heavy on that side.

However it might not seem that way to you with your view in the rooms. Either way I really love the Tableau.

Sueb20 thanked yeonassky
  • Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Yeo…grest minds…I had that revelation while I was eating lunch.

No, I don’t need the lamp, but I do need a lamp on DH’s ”desk” in the sunroom so I moved it there.

As you can see, I’m still playing around with my tchotchkes. No need to comment on them as they’ll change 8 more times before tomorrow.

• Arapaho-Rd
    8 months ago

>> Side note <<

Today on the news a professor from Bucknell spoke about a study on home decorating, etc. Found that homeowners are very much influenced by what media says sells homes and what decorating shows on TV advise. As a result, people lose their own sense of style, use of color and design that pleases them. They end up living in houses that they don't enjoy, but will appeal to the masses.
    Here we all offer suggestions but also show great appreciation from other's style choices and in doing so find new ways to decorate. In the end, they're saying what makes you happy is what's important : )

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Absolutely! I often come here to get more ideas or perspectives, but I wouldn’t do something I didn’t like even if 100 of my friends here thought it was a good idea.