SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mglivney

Warm White Cabinets

mglivney
9 months ago

Looking to paint our upper cabinets a warm white, that doesn't trend too yellow or gray. We do like a nice pop of color and will do that elsewhere.

Cabinet maker is getting us a paitned sample of SW Creamy. I am worried it is too yellow.

Ruled out:

SW Alabaster (too gray, not soft enough)

SW Medici Ivory (we currently have, and maybe too orange)

SW White Dove (also not "rich" enough or warm enough).

Uppers are this mysterious white, lowers natural white oak (with less variation than in the photo). Counter Lumataj.

Ignore the teal in the photo. We thought about it for island, but ruled it out.

Comments (18)

• Noy
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

I have BM Simply White on my kitchen cabinets and I love it, I wanted a creamy warm white. To go with my creamy beige gray walls, I have northern light coming through the kitchen and have never really found it to be too yellow. I do have SW Pure White as a trim color through out the house, it is a warm white also.

• BPMBA
    9 months ago

Consider SW Aesthetic White as well.

• S H
    9 months ago

We haven’t put it on our walls yet, but we selected SW White Snow. A lot of the warm whites skewed yellow to me, and this one seems a bit more versatile.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 months ago

If BM Simply White is a bit too bright in your lighting, try BM Moonlight White, it is the next one down on the strip. On my walls it reads as a beautiful, creamy white (Simply White is too "white" for my house/lighting, it reads white-white not creamy white).

Just so you know, Simply White and Moonlight White have a very subtle green undertone. I thought I was crazy when my eye picked up on it, but sure enough, it's right there on the BM website under the MW color description. Perfect for the woods and greens in my house, but as with any color YMMV.

• thinkdesignlive
    9 months ago

I’d post your actual cabinet samples - if those aren’t the final.

• Susie .
    9 months ago

Do you have a sample of the creamy? It doesn’t go too yellow most of the time, but with the blue (lowers?) anything leaning yellow will appear more yellow. Greek Villa may work. Shoji White? Snowbound?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 months ago

Maybe adjust your lighting befor choosing any thin in that space . This is why I like LED 4000K it mimic bright sunlight and keeps colors true.

• PRO
    Lomo
    9 months ago

If Alabaster looks ”gray” to you, you have some seriously bad lighting to fix before you can choose any colors. It is one color that is clearly in the warm yellow based white camp, with no green or red tones.

• homechef59
    9 months ago

I've got SW Creamy on my interior walls and trim in my house. I've got SW Alabaster on the exterior of my house.

I tested both on my garage doors. I needed a white that would play nice with warm wood elements, warm and tan stone, and copper gutters and downspouts. The exterior has a stone skirt with tan and grey stones and well aged copper gutters and downspouts. The interior has warm wood flooring, cabinets and bannister.

The Creamy works great inside. It's just a hint softer than the Alabaster. The Alabaster, which is a touch less warm works great outside. It's nice and clear and doesn't read yellow. I could have flipped a coin to decide. I'm getting ready to paint my stained wood cabinets with SW Creamy to match the walls and trim. If I post pictures, they probably won't translate well.

When you post pictures of paint colors the computer monitors have a way of skewing things. But, here's to trying.

This is the interior with SW Creamy on both the walls and the trim, just different glosses. Only sunlight. I look at it during the day and I do think that I am looking at heavy cream.

Alpine · More Info

Here is the exterior of my house after painting it SW Alabaster.

Alpine · More Info

What I'm telling you is you wouldn't be wrong selecting either one if you need a white that plays nice with warm toned elements. They are right next to each other on the color wheel in reflectivity. You get any farther and you get to a very jarring, antiseptic bright white with no depth.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    9 months ago

^^ Your home is beautiful!

• texmax13
    9 months ago

Check these out; I included Alabaster, Creamy and Medicy Ivory so you could compare them against each other and some other options:

If you want brighter but still warm, this might be a good option:

And my favorite Sherwin Williams white, which may be brighter than you’re looking for. It’s also only available in their Emerald line:

mglivney thanked texmax13
  • mglivney
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Appreciate this so much! Obviously we need to see this in our home. Builder will be using a catalyzed cabinet paint color matched -- so even that will be a little different.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 months ago

IMO it matters not what a color looks like to someone else only to you in your space , many things have an effect on color that is why your lighting is so important. Your floors have the biggest effect on the colors around them.

• Jennifer Hogan
    9 months ago

You can get dozens of opinions, but honestly, what is going to be the right white for your space depends on a lot of variables. What looks like a soft white in one kitchen may look green or yellow in your kitchen.

All the people above who suggested Simply White probably didn't have simply white turn green in their kitchen like it did in this kitchen.

White, by it's nature, reflects the light that shines on the surface. This can be light from windows or from your lighting or reflected off of other surfaces (trees outside can turn white green, a red carpet may make your white appear pink. Patricia Colwell Consulting is correct that you need to select your lighting first. I don't agree that the only choice is 4000k, but it is a fairly neutral lighting with just a slight warmth.

This is a great example of how lighting can impact white . . .

Whites that are adjacent to another white or very light neutral can look yellow or green or blue, dingy or stark. (Like looking at a brand new white t-shirt next to one that has been worn and washed over and over for the past 6 months) Both may look white when not next to each other, but against the brand new white t-shirt the older t-shirt looks yellow, gray, dingy.

These white cabinets may be fine in many kitchens, but look way too yellow next to the cool countertop and trim.

Do you already have other whites in the room (trim, appliances) or will the only other white be the white in the counter top?

Your counters look like they are on the cool side, which may make warmer whites appear more yellow.

You need a good size sample of the countertop. Paint samples should be viewed as they will appear in the kitchen (vertical) and the countertop should be laid as it will lay in the space (horizontal). Your sample of white needs to be large enough to see undertones - the little swatches are simply not large enough to see what it will look like on a larger scale.

The final step for cabinets is to always get a full size sample from the person finishing the cabinets. Different paint bases alter the appearance of whites, so even though the cabinet painter asks for a match to SW Extra White, it may not look exactly like the paint sample and may need to be tweaked to get it just right.

mglivney thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • texmax13
    9 months ago

@mglivney absolutely you need to view these in your space. You can start with the free paint chips and then once you have them narrowed down further, order some sampilize sheets or get paint samples to paint on large heavy art paper.

mglivney thanked texmax13
  • jiaye liu
    7 months ago

@mglivney Hi, do you mind sharing your countertop and cabinet color you finally picked? I'm also interested in Lumataj and white cabinet, thanks!

• Samantha Keslowitz
    12 days ago

@jiaye liu @mglivney Did either of you end up going with lumataj and white cabinets? would love to see pictures if so! we're considering doing this and not much online.