SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisonsparks10

Are we being unreasonable? Feedback on subcontractor please!!

Alison
9 months ago

As part of our condo remodel, a big-reputation (local) tile & floor company was hired for our bath, carpet and hardwood floors. We've had nothing but "misses" along the way with them, and now we are facing a huge hardwood floor dilemma.

I am looking to understand whether we are being unreasonable in what we might expect from them now. Can you please offer perspective? (I have a long version and a longer version depending on how much you can read):

• 2005 condo, built with original orangey solid maple hardwood, window/baseboard trim and doors
  • Floors were original, scratched, and bleached out when we purchased in 2020; hardwood runs throughout foyer/hallway/powder room/DR and LR -- with the exception of a large 12x12 inset carpet square where tacks have started to push through, etc.
  • We hated the carpet inset -- and asked for advice as part of remodel process. Flooring company (and interior decorator) suggested replacing carpet square by adding new maple and 'feathering' it in to match....much less costly, we were told, then putting in all new hardwood. Also suggested we replace small section of rotted floor in powder room. Clear coat seal.
  • We don't like maple or the orange color of existing floor, but didn't feel we could bite off an entire hardwood floor at this point. They assured us this wouldn't be necessary. We were amazed and thrilled that this could be done
  • Before proposal was signed after two walk throughs- initial sales person, and then flooring expert who again explained the process. We wre assured that no one outside of us would ever notice the difference was there. Cost estimate =$10K.

Entire project begins; whole 1st floor remodel, basically down to studs in all rooms. We rented an apartment; paid to move out, and put furnishings in storage.

• Hardwood process begins; new maple flooring acclimated and laid, clear-coat seal follows.
  • Difference is signficant and unacceptable.

• GC is upset, and calls flooring subcontractor -- they are horrified, agree, and promise to "make it right."
  • After several experts confer, they decide our original maple floor was Peshtigo River Cherry ("PC"); they jump through hoops to get in a new batch of PC, and we begin the process again.
  • Expert pulls a small sample board, treats with sealant, and GC, expert, and we all agree, while a bit darker, it looks promising. 2nd floor-laying process proceeds.
  • Seal is put down, and while the powder bath is a bit closer (difference in natural lighting?), the LR/DR difference is still significant. EVERYONE reluctantly agrees that it's just not right and experts are scratching their heads. We are devastated.

• Fast forward: Meeting of GC, sales person, Floor expert, interior designer, and us. Expert suggests that maybe they could try staining to get them closer...but that maple is difficult to stain (and acknowledges that the color variations we're seeing in PC vs. original won't look alike).
  • Everyone seems worried about losing more time (this process has taken 3 weeks and we still have no floor) and after discussion, we agree that ALL new floor (replacing all 800sqft of hardwood) is best solution.
  • If we're going to start from scratch with all new floors, then we don't want orangey maple again. So we spend a day conferring on wood samples with sales person and expert-- white oak= durable with staining versatility to help 'fit' with existing orangey-trim and doors.

Here's where I need your perspective:

After back-and-forth, flooring company currently acknowledges that

a) the floor isn't "right";

b) an entire floor of our new white oak selection if we walked in off-the-street would cost $15K (50% more than we had originally intended for this project);

BUT, they are proposing that we need to pay them $20K (2x more than we budgeted) because

a) we owe them for the first $10K (their original estimate for the match job) plus an additonal $10K that they are going to charge us to install the floor "at cost."

b) they point to the fact that they ate the cost of the second (botched PC) floors, and that we "approved" the sample of replacment PC cherry before they laid it.

We feel that paying them a full $15K to install a full floor as if we were a brand new customer is more than generous...and that we should not have to pay them for anything related to the prior efforts. We did not change our mind... we did not "cause" the mistakes ...we followed their advice every step of the way! (And we were pleasant and calm along the way!) In short --they promised something that they could not deliver. We acknowledge they did *try* in good faith to remedy the problem. But we still have no suitable floor!

You can stop reading here and offer opinions, but there is even MORE if you have the stomach and time to keep reading:

This same company has had 4 misses on our main bathroom tile project, costing us time and money as follows:

1) Original large format and accent tile were selected. I read something on Houzz about steam-shower appropriate accent tile. I asked the sales person if our selection was rated for steam showers. After 3-4 days of silence, the answer is no... but that I shouldn't worry about it because they "do this all the time and have never had a problem". I resist, and he suggests I should consider changing our design and just put accent tile in the non-visbile niches so if it fails (because Daltile & his company won't guarantee it), that's all we'll have to worry about tearing out and replacing! Needless to say, I chose a different accent tile....

2) All tile (large format and new replacement accent tile) is ordered. 3 months later, and 2 days after it's due in, salesperson calls and says he's learned it never made the production run and is back-ordered now 12 weeks. This will blow our entire timeline. I spend 2 days trying to find steam-rated tile that matches all my other previously selected finishes. I don't like it nearly as well, but the order goes in.

3) Tile person begins laying out large format tile (1 color for long back wall; 1 color for the 2 end walls). Salesperson sold us colors from 2 manufacturers, and size (cutting) between the 2 is slightly different. Grout lines will not match (end walls with long wall), and tile layer says he can't fudge it enough to mask. Back to store we go to frantically find another large format tile that matches. New large format tile in compatible color is ordered. Tile person has to wait 2 weeks for arrival.

4) Large format tile is installed (looks great!). Begin cutting 2nd-choice accent tile, and it keeps chipping. Supposedly requires special cutting technique? Salesperson springs this on us the same day we're all at the condo conferring about the botched floor. He suggests he can continue to send tile layer how-to videos (with no guarantees), OR we can select a new accent tile-- and he has brought 9-10 selections along with him!

I never liked the forced-substitute accent tile anyway, our interior decorator is present to confer, once again, timelines are being held up, so we select a new accent tile. Tile is ordered ...and now we wait.

That's where we currently stand. Meanwhile, as this company has slowed the timeline, other subs have juggled and jumped up to accommodate where possible -- moving up cabinet install, lighting prep/install, etc). Every day and every trip/phone call to 'fix' things costs my husband and I time & money-- e.g., interior decorator consult fees, monthly apartment and furniture rental, storage fees, gas/time to & from show room, etc.

What's your perspective on what we should be expecting to pay for the new hardwood floors if we decide we have to stay with this subcontractor? Any/all constructive feedback welcomed --especially appreciated from pros!

Comments (15)