SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anj_p

Help With Patio & Rock

10 months ago

We just did our landscaping and have unfortunately realized that the mulch is not compatible with our dog - our patio is constantly covered in mulch, and with the cream colored pavers always looks dirty. So we're coughing up more cash to replace the mulch in our fenced back yard with rock (keeping mulch on the sides & front yard).

Currently we have river rock along the back property line as it's a drainage swale and always wet (sometimes a veritable river) so we needed something heavy. The rest of the house has brown mulch, and our deck is a brown composite that works well with the blue siding.

As far as rock goes, the choices where we live are river rock, mocha rock, or trap rock. We didn't think trap rock would work but I may go get a sample.

I really like the contrast of the mulch and the patio, and I'm concerned that river rock will be busy and wash out the patio. DH doesn't like the size of the mocha rock - he's worried that it will move too easily. It's also quite a bit more expensive - nearly 2x what river rock would be.

There's also a question of where we stop the rock. I like the brown as it will blend seamlessly into the mulch and would look fine stopping at our fence. I'm not sure the river rock will look as good transitioning to mulch.

Photos are of the back line with river rock (good view of it from afar), our patio with the mulch, and the samples of river rock and mocha rock near the patio & stepping stone. What would you do?

River Rock
Mocha Rock
Trap Rock

Comments (18)