SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_858647138

Shasta daisies and a pale autumn garden

rosaprimula
9 months ago

I have never grown shasta daisies (although the allotment is invaded by the lovely moon daisies (leucanthemum vulgare) in early summer. By autumn, I am looking at a much darker, richer palette of bronze, orange, scarlets and plums (gladioli, tithonia, sages, dahlias and zinnias). However, I planted a new bed this year, which is much paler than usual. Cenolophium, pale sedums, gypsophila, artemisia, stipa Ichu, white achillea...so I also ordered a couple of packets of shasta daisies - leucanthemum x superbum 'Crazy Daisy' and 'Alaska'. What do I need to know to grow these plants? Spread, soil needs, self-seeding, pests and diseases. I know we all have very different gardens but I am always keen to hear of everyone's experience. And if you can think of similar pastels which can survive the semi-arid conditions and lean soil of an east anglian allotment, I am always interested in new (to me) plants. Sadly, so many of the late summer perennials are tricky in my poor dry soil (so Joe Pye, veronicastrum, symphiotrichum (sp?) and phlox are absolute fails.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths