SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mikesheila_kelly

Before and after - small kitchen in house built in 50's

Sheila Kelly
9 months ago

First the before... Kitchen is a little under 10x10 with a 52" wide window along the exterior wall. This left less than 33" on either side of the window which limited me a bit on the design.

Other than the cabinets being old and dated, my main issue was storage and very little useable counter space. I had about 12" to the left of the cooktop and a wall on the other side. Although I didn't think to take pictures of the ceiling, it was very uneven with two big fluorescent light fixtures. One of which would only choose to come on about half the time.

Now, the after...

We removed most of the wall between the dining room and kitchen. We have a cove ceiling in the dining room so we did have to keep part of the wall. We also removed the soffits and installed new drywall in the ceiling. Fortunately, I was smart enough to purchase extra flooring when we installed LVP in the living room, dining room, hallway and office so we were able to keep the floors the same with no transition strip.

The details...

Cabinets - Kraftmaid Full Overlay Breslin with Saddle finish

Countertop - MSI Calacatta Mirragio Gold Quartz

Backsplash - Ivy Hill Kingston White from Home Depot (same as Portmore White from Tile Bar)

Sink - Elkay Crosstown 26" Sink with offset drain

Faucet - Pfister Miri Pull Down Kitchen Faucet from Build.com

Pulls - Hickory Hardware Twist in Satin Nickel from Build.com

Pendant Light - Quoizel Towne 1-Light Brushed Nickel Mini Pendant from Home Depot

Dining Room Chandelier - Alloy Ribbons 5-Light Chandelier from Wayfair

Ceiling Lights - Commercial Electric Ultra Slim 4in Canless LED from Home Depot

Flooring - Home Decorators Collection Maple Syrup Luxury Vinyl Plank from Home Depot

Appliances are all GE Profile. I went from a 30" wide standard refrigerator to a 36" wide counter depth. I haven't had any issues at all in regards to refrigerator storage with the counter depth. In fact, due to the larger door bins, I'm able to fit most everything that "lives" in the fridge right in the door!

I also want to give some attention to the wall oven. I loved the wall oven in the old kitchen and was set on having a double oven but didn't want to give up the drawers underneath. I was going to settle and go with a range when I found that GE makes a 30" double oven. I was so happy - best of both worlds! They only make it in the Profile and Cafe lines and it is a little smaller than you would get with a traditional range double oven, but it works for our purposes.

I found this site late in the process but still wanted to thank all of you for your help and guidance through this adventure. I did get quite a lot of good advice and found out about a few nifty little gadgets too - namely the Elkay SinkMates and the Never MT soap dispenser - love both of those!

Comments (14)