SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissanl

HELP With Long Narrow Living Room(s)

melissanl
9 months ago

I would love some suggestions on what to do with my living room and the area near the fireplace.

It is a long, narrow room and I’m not even sure what the area near the fireplace is meant to be since the dining room is on the other side of the fireplace. The previous homeowner had a sofa there (in the area near the fireplace). So, there were two sofas against the back wall (well, one was a small sectional). I guess one area was a living room and one was a sitting room. It looked a little odd.

The living room doesn’t feel cozy/inviting to me. I don’t know if I should change the green chair area to something else. I have no idea what to do with the tv wall (especially with that bump-out).

I just had the sofa custom made less than two years ago, so if I could make it work that would be great. However, I feel like it is holding me back on everything. I love color, but I can’t find any color that will work with the sofa. (I thought it was going to be more of a soft blush, but it looks more like a deeper mauve.) The artwork came after the sofa, but I feel like they clash. My favorite colors are blue and green, but it seems that as long as I have that sofa, I can’t have blue or green. Maybe I could find something that works with the pink in the living room and have blue/green elsewhere?

I’m in the middle of painting all the walls an off-white, so some are painted, some are not (the tan walls will be painted off-white). The dark drapes will be replaced. The rug can stay or go. The antique rocking chair was meant to be temporary. The green chair was supposed to be where the rocking chair is, but that was before I realized how dark the sofa was. We occasionally have two guests (for a very short duration of around 10 minutes), and one of them sits in the rocking chair while the other sits wayyy over in the green chair (which was not my intention for that chair). I was thinking of maybe putting a chair at the other sofa end (directly across from the rocking chair), and maybe change the green chair area to a breakfast area (two chairs and a small round table)? Or maybe just put plants on shelves there in front of the window, since I love plants.

I don’t know what my style is. I like MCM for some pieces, but I seem to be mostly drawn to transitional and sometimes contemporary. I love color (and I work in the creative field, so I feel like I am almost expected to have a colorful and unique living space). I love art and I have a collection of miniature art (maybe an idea for the tv wall).

So, basically, I’m open to changing everything except the fireplace, the art above the sofa and the coffee table set. But it would be great if the sofa could stay, at least for another year. I’d like the bookcase to stay somewhere in the room too. I have no idea where to start, what pieces to buy, what color drapes, etc. I’ve been changing things up since buying the house two years ago, but nothing seems to be working.

Any advice on anything would be greatly appreciated!

(Some photos may be distorted due to the wide angle lens.)

Comments (76)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!