SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jonathan_gunnell

Changing door swing direction from out to in

Jonathan Gunnell
9 months ago

Our bathroom door swings out into the hallway. The hallway is narrow and there is a pantry directly across from the bathroom and it also swings out into the hallway. We also like to keep the bathroom door open after we shower. I can't tell you how many times someone has been in the pantry with the door open while someone else exits the bathroom causing a collision. I also have a habit of bashing my clumsy toes into the opened bathroom door when walking through the narrow hallway.

I'd like to reverse the direction of the bathroom door so it opens into the bathroom. There is plenty of room inside the bathroom so that isn't a concern. I'd like to have it open against the linen closet so the handle would be on the left side and it would open towards you in the picture below.

The current door is pretty beat up so I was just going to buy a new slab door. I have replaced and hung a few doors already, so I'm pretty confident in that department. I just haven't ever done any work on the frame aside from screwing hinges right back into the holes that were there from the previous door. I'm OK with cutting the new door down to size (which I'll need to do here too), drilling the hole for the handle, chiseling out the spaces for the hinges, installing hardware, and hanging the door.

How I'm expecting this process to go:

1. Remove the old door and donate it to the local frat house for use as a beer pong table.
  2. Gently pry off the door stop pieces around the top and sides of the jamb because they are facing the wrong way if I'm going to flip directions (flat on one side, rounded on the other).
  3. Sand the frame down to smooth out where the stop pieces were because there are at least 4 coats of paint over them
  4. Reinstall new stop pieces.
  5. Chisel out new spots for the hinges and latch.
  6. Hang the new door.
  7. Fill the old hinge and latch holes.
  8. Paint.

I'm well known in my house for starting a "simple" project only to create 10 more expensive projects in the process. Before I dive in, I thought I'd ask for advice BEFORE I mess something up this time. The only specific question that I currently have is what's the best way to patch up the old hinge slots and latch hole in the frame when I'm done?

Am I missing anything? Is this as easy as I've made it sound?

Comments (9)