SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

Next step on thinning hair: 30 day update

Annie Deighnaugh
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

Well, the virtue stuff was only so-so.

I had to go to the dermo for skin scan anyway, so while there, I asked him and he encouraged me to try nutrafol. So I am. I thought it was a lot of hype, but he said he'd had patients that were helped by it. So, it's pricey, but I'll give it a 3 mo try and see what happens.

I took a before pic so I'll post them once a month as I go forward. Hopefully something will help. I'm trying to leave minoxidil as a last resort.

Has anyone else tried it with any results?

Comments (74)

• bbstx
    9 months ago

Thanks, Bunny. I don’t think it was the purple shampoo that was the problem, I think it was veering away from the OGX Biotin and Collagen shampoo. It had kept my hair loss in check for several years. I have to ask myself why I would stop using something that had given me good results!?!?!

• Springroz
    9 months ago

Have you been counting calories? My hair fell out on WW. My boobs fell, too, down to my waist. Now that I am eating high protien, fairly high fat, low carb, NOT counting anything, my boobs are back, and my hair has returned.

It was never spectacular, but when thin, fine hair falls out, it is bad. I use a natural cococnut oil based charcoal bar shampoo, sometimes with the Beekman shampoo if it is not rinsing well. I cannot use any conditioner, or it goes flat.

You might also try not wearing sunglasses as much outside. A lot of our hormones are activated by receptors in our eyes, and you may be blocking them.

• Related Discussions

Hair Loss Slowing -- An Update

Q

Comments (30)
    I hesitate to say this because I did it as part of my get rid of migraine program which worked for 5 years. I took flax oil for 3 years in higher quantities. By the end of that I was no longer having migraines and my hair started to thicken up and my hairline rapidly was moving down lower than I've ever had on my forehead. It was very strange. I quit taking the flax oil because I was sick of it plus the excess weight and for 5 years was completely migraine free but it has moved back in. My hair however has stayed growing much more quickly. I'm not sure if causation and all that. Trier beware
    ...See More

Celebration Bermuda at 30 Days After Install

Q

Comments (18)
    It sure feels like I could peel up the whole square if I wasn't careful. The roots are definitely there, but some areas just don't 'stick' yet. I'll pull my last sample & check P levels but I am due for a fresh test. I'll get my moisture meter out there today too, but with all this rain I can't imagine it's a water issue. I do have more baby shampoo on the schedule for next week, so that will help too. The greasy clay they use to grow the sod hasn't broken down yet either, so maybe it's acting like a moisture barrier?
    ...See More

Hair products for short hair

Q

Comments (28)
    If you want the spiky look, then mousse would probably give you the finish you want. My hair has gotten some curl in it which tends to get unruly in the summer, so I've found "It's a 10" leave in conditioner which seems to control and add a lot of shine. I get the walmart equate version though. I figure if it's popular enough for walmart to copy it, it must be well received in general. This is me on vacation in ID, just toodling around...I also don't color my hair...never have and am delighted to not have to start...yet anyway. But short hair is wonderful. It takes me 30 sec to dry my hair and go. Last thing I want to do is complicate my life. Congrats on the new do!
    ...See More

Best video if you have fine or thinning hair

Q

Comments (48)
    NYT recently had an article on hair loss and how minoxidil at very low doses taken orally seems to work well: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/18/health/minoxidil-hair-loss-pills.html?searchResultPosition=5 "But there is a cheap treatment, he and other dermatologists say, costing pennies a day, that restores hair in many patients. It is minoxidil, an old and well-known hair-loss treatment drug used in a very different way. Rather than being applied directly to the scalp, it is being prescribed in very low-dose pills. Although a growing group of dermatologists is offering low-dose minoxidil pills, the treatment remains relatively unknown to most patients and many doctors. It has not been approved by the Food and Drug Administration for this purpose and so is prescribed off-label — a common practice in dermatology.... Dr. Rodney Sinclair, a professor of dermatology at the University of Melbourne in Australia, had a patient with female pattern baldness. The hair on top of her head had thinned, and she hated the way it looked. Unlike what happened with most of his patients, Rogaine worked for her, but she developed an allergic rash on her scalp from the drug. Yet if she stopped taking it, her hair would thin again. “So I was stuck,” Dr. Sinclair said. “The patient was very motivated, and the one thing we knew was that if a patient has an allergy to a topically applied medicine, one way to desensitize is to give very low doses orally.” To do that, Dr. Sinclair tried cutting minoxidil pills into quarters. To his surprise, the low dose made her hair grow but did not affect her blood pressure, the original purpose of the higher-dose drug. He subsequently lowered the dose more and more until he got down to effective doses of one-fortieth of a pill and began routinely prescribing the drug. That first patient still takes it."
    ...See More
  • maddielee
    9 months ago

@Bunny. Yesterday I broke out in hives. Bad, hot, painful hives. I first thought it was a side effect of a med that I am on. After sending the pics to the doctor and recalling if I had added any new foods or products, we found the culprit to be the Pantene Miracle Rescue conditioner that I had used for the first time.

Be careful people, this is what happened to me, from a hair product…

• Bunny
    9 months ago

@maddielee OMG!!! How awful!!! I've only had hives once, on both forearms, and the itching was beyond terrible. I hope those clear up soon.

I've only had the big event hair loss once and the only thing I can connect it to was the Pantene. I read at the time that it coats the hair and it couldn't breathe? Sounds weird, but there are too many options with shampoo/conditioner to ever use one that's suspect.

• bbstx
    9 months ago

Bless your heart! That looks awful. Are you able to take anything for it like Benadryl?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Wow maddielee...that looks uncomfortable!

I often think about hair products and back acne...how much stuff gets rinsed off my head and down my back in the shower...

• Tina Marie
    9 months ago

Oh Maddielee, I'm sorry you are dealing with that - looks painful! My stylist does not recommend the purple shampoos. She says there can be a problem with build-up on the scalp, and also the hair - I know I've seen women with a blue-ish tint to their grey/white hair. My concern is the whiter streaks in my grey. I have one of each side of my face and I did not want any dulling or yellowing. My stylist told me the trick is to use a clarifying shampoo to take care of product build-up. I don't wash my hair daily, so it makes sense product could build up. I do not use the clarifying shampoo each time I shampoo. I have a moisturizing shampoo I alternate with the clarifying shampoo. I'm sorry for those of you dealing with thinning hair. I have no suggestions but I would be wary of ingesting products. I'm not talking about nutrafol, which I am assuming is vitamins, etc.

• jill302
    9 months ago

@maddielee -Oh no, I hope your reaction clears up quickly and that you are already feeling better. Would never have guessed this came from a hair conditioner, glad you have it figured out.

Thinking I will be staying away from Pantene, the majority of my hair loss I was after I started using their shampoo. This was on recommendation of a friend who at one time was a professionsal stylist so I never questioned my shampoo. Nothing really changed when I traded Pantene for Nioxin for 90 days, but I am open to trying something else. Guessing that my hair loss is genetic but it started about 20 years before my mom's hair loss began sometime in hervearly 80's, so maybe it is something else. My dad's hair started thinning in his late 70's, so I am way ahead of him too. My one grandfather started losing hair in his 30's though. I am 63.

• Ded tired
    9 months ago

Yikes, Maddie. That looks just awful. Is it only on your chest or is it on your face and scalp, too? Maybe benedryl will help get rid of it.

• maddielee
    9 months ago

Thank you. I was surprised how the darn things hurt. I’m much improved this afternoon.

My doctor called in a script, but suggested I try 2 Benedryl first. The Benedryl and drinking lots of water seem to be doing a good job.

I have sent pics to Proctor & Gamble, Pantene’s parent company. I don’t want a refund or coupons, but they should know it happened.

I shall live with my Don King hair for awhile more.

edited to add: they were everywhere! The ones on my face, were not as bad as those on my body.

• OutsidePlaying
    9 months ago

Wow, Maddie! That sure looks like it would hurt! And to think it’s from a hair product. That is the first time I’ve ever seen a reaction like that and hope I don’t again. So sorry that happened to you. .

• maire_cate
    9 months ago

Oh Maddie - what a reaction but I'm glad that it's a little better today.

This may not be a factor for you but both my DDIL and GD are sensitive to coconut oil. It seems a majority of baby products contain coconut oil and it took my DDIL a few weeks to figure out what was causing the hives on her daughter. Pantene does have coconut oil.

• deegw
    9 months ago

Ouch Maddie, I'm glad they are clearing up.

I think I am having luck with this serum from The Ordinary and seeing less hair in the shower, The main ingredient is caffeine and there is some evidence that topical caffeine helps stop shedding. Sounds crazy so I linked some studies!

https://www.sephora.com/product/multi-peptide-serum-for-hair-density-P442831

https://www.google.com/search?q=pub+med+caffeine+hair+loss&oq=pub+med+caffeine+hair+loss&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCDcwOTZqMGo3qAIAsAIA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.today.com/shop/caffeine-hair-growth-t288221

• rich69b
    9 months ago

@Springroz, that's interesting re: sunglasses. I always wear sunglasses because I squint too much from the sunlight. We're in SoCal so we have a lot of sunshine. And my hair started to shed many years ago. I just can't stand too much light. I took biotin, and within a few days of taking it, pimples galore :(

• teeda
    9 months ago

Ooh, Maddie, that looks so painful. Glad you are feeling better with the Benadryl and I’m glad you contacted the company.

• ilikefriday
    9 months ago

@Maddielee

That is just horrible. It looks so painful! I hope it all clears up asap! I use Pantene shampoo and conditioner all the time. I love the way it makes my hair look. I have used it for years. With your experience and the comments from @Bunny and @jill302 about hair loss, I have second thoughts. I might need to switch to something else!

• maddielee
    9 months ago

@ilikefriday Me too. I’ve used the Pantene Pro V shampoo and conditoner for many years with no problems.

The Miracle Rescue was so promising, my hair actually looked pretty good. My skin not so great.

• lizbeth-gardener
    9 months ago

Hypothyroidism is also another cause of hair loss and shortened eyebrows. It shows up frequently in women after menopause and a large percentage of people with this go untreated.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 months ago

lizbeth, yes that is a potential problem, but not for me. I've had graves' disease and have been monitoring and controlling my thyroid function for decades now.

• hhireno
    9 months ago

I would imagine hair increasing products and vitamins also increase the hair in pesky places, too? So, more whiskers and such? The extra grooming on that might be worth a fuller head of hair. I’m not at a point that I’m ready to take anything but I like to gather knowledge for the future.

Maybe it’s irrational thinking, my wheelhouse, but when I briefly took biotin I wondered if it is stimulating cell growth in hair and nails, how do I know its not also stimulating cell growth in cells I don’t want to multiply?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 months ago

hhireno, one of the advantages of minoxidil applied to the scalp is it will localize hair growth. Taken internally, not so much. Your concerns about cell growth are valid when it comes to hormones like estrogen and testosterone which we know can affect cancer growth. But most vitamins are excreted that aren't used by the body, so I'm thinking it's more benign. Not sure about things like saw palmetto which is supposed to suppress testosterone...it's used for men with enlarged prostates and is included in some hair growth supplements.

• Oakley
    9 months ago

I ignored this topic earlier because I didn't think it pertained to my recent scalp discovery and I certainly didn't want to to a topic about it, too embarrassing!

This past winter, or the winter before, I did a topic about dry scalp that wasn't dandruff. I ended up thinking it was due to dry heat indoors from winter, because my skin was also super dry.

Wednesday night I had a slight itch on my head, top right and about an inch from the hairline. As I began it scratch it I felt a bump and looked at it with my magnifying mirror. The bump wasn't that big but as I looked around it, there was about a quarter size patch of thick stuff. I started scraping it off with my finger and was shocked. It came off and left a red spot but I don't think much hair came out. Scratching that stuff off is not recommended.

After googling I self-diagnosed scalp psoriasis. If I'm wrong I'll go to the derm. The rest of my scalp became just a tad itchy too. I took a closer look at the hairline and it's slightly scaly but not dandruff. I even felt some slight scaliness at the neckline.

Major panic. After searching for OTC products to try before I needed a prescription product, I ordered Neutrogena T-Sal (salicylic acid) therapeutic shampoo. BTW, I give 5 stars to every Neutrogena product I use.

Because I don't use conditioner my scalp wasn't getting conditioned which I think may have caused part of the problem. Plus blow drying my hair upside down going directly to the scalp, and using various products for fullness.

And stress. Let me tell you, as someone told me in my 30's and I thought they were nuts, stress can kill you. I'm doomed. lol

The shampoo came in yesterday & the directions didn't mention conditioner, so I waited to see if I needed it after washing. Lather hair, leave on for a few minutes, repeat. I could feel my scalp tingling a little, made me feel good. Hair was super soft, no need for a conditioner.

I'm avoiding blow drying and products, and went outside where it's warm to comb and slightly dry my hair. The comb had stuff on it and that was good. The usual hair loss.

The shampoo claims it keeps working after you use it, and it can be used every day, or at the least several times a week. I washed my hair in lukewarm water because of the obvious.

Hair loss can be a problem so I'm hoping I'm nipping it in the bud. Have you all had scalp psoriasis?

Stress can cause it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 months ago

OK here's the before Nutrafol

Here's 30 days of using Nutrafol

I wouldn't say I've seen any new or short hairs showing increased density in hair growth, but my hair seems to be less fine...a little more coarse so maybe it is making a difference.

I've also been diagnosed as low Vit D and was taking a supplement in addition to my multivit, but I have dropped that as Nutrafol is very high in Vit D.

What do you guys think?

• deegw
    9 months ago

It does look a little thicker and you might have some more hair on your part by your forehead. Exactly which products are you using?

Annie Deighnaugh thanked deegw
  • rubyclaire
    9 months ago

I actually think I can see a fairly impressive improvement along your part and in the top of your hair. I would be very encouraged if I were you!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked rubyclaire
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 months ago

dee, I'm still finishing up the virtue shampoo & conditioner. But the big change has been the nutrafol.

• Tina Marie
    9 months ago

Its hard to tell as your hair looks more wet in the first picture, but it does look a bit thicker!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Tina Marie
  • Bunny
    9 months ago

I think your hair does look fuller in the second photo, but it's combed differently or is less wet and more evenly distributed. I don't see how 30 days can increase actual hair volume beyond encouraging new growth, which would be short and not distributed along the length.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked Bunny
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 months ago

I'll post again next month to see if there's any difference. I have to say that stuff has a weird odor that is not especially pleasant. They're capsules, so I just hold my breath when I take them so I don't smell them.

• bbstx
    9 months ago

@Oakley I’ve recently read about a build up of ”product” on one’s scalp. It was posted by a dermatologist on IG, IIRC. The way you described it sounds like the same way he described it. I’ll see if I can find it again.

ETA: I can never find anything again on IG. But I believe the recommendation was scalp exfoliation.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    9 months ago

Oakley - my dermatologist diagnosed me with psorisis of the scalp last year. I had big flaky patches coming off. Asked me what shampoo I was using and I told her Head & Shoulders. She said that was a good thing, but advised me to get the Neutrogena T-Sal shampoo and use it alternating with the Head & Shoulders. Recommended that I massage my scalp well and leave it on for 5 minutes while I shower. It has really helped a lot. I've lost my hair twice - once to chemo 12 years ago and once to a blood disorder in 2017 that is now being treated.

I have grown my thin brown/gray hair to all one length and wear it in a chin-length bob. No layers or bangs. I have more hair now at age 71 than I have had in many years but certainly not the hair I had before chemo when I was in my 50's. I don't perm or color my hair. I have found a styling cream called "Wired" made by Rusk - picked up a tube of it by chance at the store. I use it after I shampoo, use a fine comb to distribute it and I use a hot-air brush to style - basically just smoothing my hair straight and curling it under. Hair spray helps keep it out of my face. I wash my hair every 3 or 4 days.

• dedtired
    9 months ago

Annie, i would stick with it. i think i see some difference. in the meantime, my hair is falling out at an alarming rate. I am still thinking its stress from the surgery, at least i hope so since there’s a chance it may come back. My skin got extremely dry and flaky and that has stopped, so i am holding out hope for my hair. maybe i’ll give the nutrafol a try.

My mother had the thickest hair ever. Her hair dresser called it million dollar hair. It was thick as could be until the day she died. Wish i had inherited that instead of her wide hips.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked dedtired
  • nekotish
    9 months ago

I definitely see a difference!

Annie Deighnaugh thanked nekotish
  • lascatx
    9 months ago

Annie, you said you noticed a difference in texture, and that will make hair seem fuller quickly, while actual growth can take months to get to a length you really notice -- but that seems encouraging.

Detired, my mom and dad both had thick hair. I didn't get my dad's curls (my sister sure did), but I did get his later grey. My older son apparently got the curls but got earlier grey. He's hoping it will be like my dad's and be a slow fade. My dad was in his 80s when he died and was still not completely grey. I don't know if my hair has thinned (hairdresser still comments on it being really thick) or if I have ponytail hair since COVID. I had been wearing it shorter and just went to a ponytail or the top pulled back most of the time. Kind of lose some body at the scalp after a while. I am trying to wear it loose more, but between heat and habit, it isn't always easy.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked lascatx
  • dedtired
    9 months ago

Lascatx, my mom only had a bit gray at her temples when she died at 105. I started graying in my30s but i blame that on my older son! It really is distressing to have my hair get so thin all of a sudden.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 months ago

AnnieD, what did the prescribing doc say about when you might see a difference. I thought it looked like it was working, but as others pointed out it was hard to tell if the pics were under the same conditions and in an event it is likely too soon?

Annie Deighnaugh thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • arkansas girl
    9 months ago

I was watching a lady on youtube talk about her "post covid" hair fallout. I didn't know that was a "thang" but did any of you all have covid and then the hair started to fall out? She has since started getting her hair back to normal.

• jsk
    9 months ago

I will be very interested in your review. My hair has been thinning lately (age?). I've been thinking of trying Nutrafol but I've also wondered if it's really as good as the instagrammers say it is. One did say it took 3-4 months to notice a difference. Also, the cost has held me back too, but if it works, I would definitely do it.

Thanks, Annie, for providing a review for us.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked jsk
  • Tina Marie
    9 months ago

Is there anything in Nutrafol one would worry about ingesting?

• lascatx
    9 months ago

Ded -- wow! 105 AND not grey. Your mom seemed programmed for a long life.

Maddie, I meant to say someting about your hives. I hope you are feeling better. It makes sense that anywhere the water could have run when you were rinsing could have a reaction and that it would be worst near your head and shoulders. It's often hard to target a cause for hives. If you pinpointed it with a single outbreak, that would be really good. I hope so. I've had allergic reactions to a medication and not realized the cause because I'd been taking it a while. One got caught with a prescription refill that got flagged because of an allergy to an antibiotic -- celebrex apparently was similar enough that it triggered a reaction too after a while. The other went all the way until I saw my doctor next and I happened to mention that I'd been more concerned about the itching that kept coming back after some mild hives. Oh yeah? That prescription we started 6 months ago can do that. Ugh.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    9 months ago

The active ingredients in Nutrafol include:

It is not recommended if you're pregnant. It has biotin which can affect some blood test results. It has vit E which is a blood thinner so should probably stop taking it if going in for surgery. Apparently some experience stomach pain or diarrhea or headaches from it. I have not. They recommend it be taken with food. The kelp may affect those on thyroid medication. I am on thyroid supplements but have noticed no change in that. And of course if you have an allergic reaction to anything in it, you should stop taking it.

• SEA SEA
    9 months ago

The 2nd photo looks to be more covered at the scalp. One month is rather soon to actually see a difference since the hair grows under the scalp. But I do see a difference in the two photos assuming lighting conditions are not generating the change. It's promising! As long as you are not having interference to your thyroid medications, it's probably safe seeing your list of ingredients.

Ded's mother at 105 with a thick head of hair and barely a grey! Million dollar hair--good choice of words. I started going grey at 18 and have what we call angel fur for hair : ) Some of us were off playing games and goofing around when good hair genes were being passed out!

Good luck Annie!

• nekotish
    9 months ago

This was my Dad, a couple of months before he died at 94. Beard and mustache grey but not a lot of grey in his hair. I'm 63 and have a few grey hairs but not enough to "go grey"

y."

• dedtired
    9 months ago

Interesting article on hair loss in the NYT

NYT article

• Springroz
    9 months ago

My new hair and fingernails GROW fromJune until the middle of August, at which time I molt, and my nails split and break off, Every single year. I am outside most of the time, year around, but the extra sun exposure makes a big difference. I believe the heightened use of sunscreen and sunglasses are really reducing our Vitamin D, and for me, the supplements do Zilch.

I have always used a 'natural' shampoo (coconut soap type), because I cannot believe that putting a multitude of silicones and chemicals on my hair could possibly better for it.

• bbstx
    8 months ago

AD, I think your part is not looking as wide as it was.

I don’t remember the name of the thread where I posted that I was starting to take collagen powder. It has been a month now. I think my hair is getting better. I seem to have a lot of new hair growth around my face.

My nails are doing much better, too. But, I’m also using OPI Repair Mode 2x a day on them. So I can’t really tell which is helping.

The collagen powder I’m using is Agent Nateur. It has no taste and no smell. I put a scoop into my coffee every morning. My only complaint is that it clumps. I have to use my frother to keep that from happening.

• eld6161
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

bbstx, DH is a collagen fan. But, he feels you need to take breaks.

Annie, so sorry you are going through this.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked eld6161
  • dedtired
    8 months ago

Annie, Ive been going through significant hair loss. Its called telogen effluvium. It happens after a stressful experience or major surgery. Lucky me, Ive had both in the last year. My mother’s death ( not unexpected) and shoulder surgery. I talked to my PCP about it and she said she sees it all the time. She said it will come back but the hair needs to go through one growth cycle, which could be a year.

Whenever I run my fingers through my hair I get at least ten strands from just one spot. When i wash it, the brush is totally clogged with hair. It looks like a bird’s nest when i clean the brush.

She said to try Rogaine, but wasnt real enthusiastic about it.

In the meantime, I have an appointment with a dermatologist who specializes in hair loss. I may cancel since i know what’s going on. If i go, Ill ask him about Nutrafol.

Oh, my PCP added testing my thyroid to my blood test to be sure that wasnt affecting my hair.

Ive started taking Vitamin D and Biotin. Maybe they will help a little.

I hope the Nutrafol helps. Seeing your hair thin is so upsetting.

Annie Deighnaugh thanked dedtired
  • bbstx
    8 months ago

Here is an interesting treatment for thinning hair in females, although it gives me the willies to think about injections in my scalp. https://www.instagram.com/reel/CwqUkmLxk_M/?igshid=NTc4MTIwNjQ2YQ==