SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherrygirl5

Best wishes for Ann, Nicholsworth

sherrygirl zone5 N il
9 months ago
last modified: 9 months ago

Hi Ann! I realize you probably wont read this today but I am starting this thread any way. Just hoping surgery went well today and you are walking the garden again soon. Just letting you know we are thinking about you and have you in our prayers. Including a photo of my rescued Bridal Falls to encourage you outside when you feel up to it!

I hope everyone sees this and adds their thoughts!

Sherry

Comments (224)

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

debra..ortho surgery is rough isn’t it?..it certainly takes time to feel normal again..when I calculate the weeks since surgery I realize I need a LOT more time to recover..I need to be realistic..and patient..your comments are a good reality check..

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

bkay..I tried a pillow in my armpit..couldn’t get comfortable..thinking about trying a rolled up towel..

I appreciate the suggestion..

• Related Discussions

Shock and Awe: AnnT drops a bomb!

Q

Comments (37)
    What a perfect package! Lori, I bet you forgot all your plumbing problems when you opened this box of goodies! I especially love the calendar, so personal, yet so appropriate. And those spoons are to die for! What an excellent job of researching your partner Ann! Lucky you, Lori! Enjoy your treasures. Catherine
    ...See More

Happy Birthday Anne! (amck)

Q

Comments (16)
    Hi Everyone! Thanks for all the good wishes. I just got back from a great birthday adventure. DH surprised me with a cooking class (and lunch) at Stonewall Kitchen Cooking School in York, Maine. Sara Foster was the chef. She is the author of 3 great cookbooks and I make her Roasted Balsamic Chicken almost every Sunday in the winter. She was lovely and it was so much fun! I was one of 5 people celebrating a birthday there. The oldest was 88 and still loving to cook and enjoy good food. Something to aspire to! It really warmed my heart to receive greetings from all of you!
    ...See More

Happy Birthday, Ann T!

Q

Comments (28)
    Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes. Had a girl's day in Victoria. Barb and I had a nice lunch and did a little shopping. And then Moe and I had dinner with Barb and Clif'. Clif cooked. Grilled steaks on his new grill. Good food, good wine and good friends. ~Ann
    ...See More

Ann T, I REALLY screwed it up, but.......

Q

Comments (2)
    Laceyvail, you just proved what I have always said. Bread is one of the most forgiving things to make. I know some really care about the science of baking bread, but I've never cared about anything except the finished product. Unless your yeast is dead you will almost always end up with a great tasting loaf of bread.
    ...See More
  • djacob Z6a SE WI
    6 months ago

Maybe one of those squishy pillows that have the tiny beads inside would work…..

debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked djacob Z6a SE WI
    6 months ago

Thanks debra..actually the skinny neck roll that I tried is filled with walnut chips? or something..bought it from Amazon years ago and I forget what it was called..appreciate the thought..

• bkay2000
    6 months ago

The one I (still) use is like an "airline" pillow. It's not very thick. It's filled with "fiber fill" (I think that's what it's called), so it squishes down. It's very light weight. It doesn't hold the arm up much at all.

If I remember correctly, I had to sleep in my brace until the 3 month mark.

bkay

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked bkay2000
    6 months ago

bkay..my sling came off 3 weeks after surgery..I toss and turn but not because my pain is terrible..everything (shoulder, back, knees) is stiff and uncomfortable..I take naps and they help..just haven’t found the right pillow/position..

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 months ago

Ann it certainly makes it worse not being able to sleep through the night. Your whole body was wrenched in the fall and of course in your therapy they have only worked with the shoulder. You probably can't lay on your stomach for a general massage therapy but it could help. After a car accident I went to traditional therapy twice a week and it did nothing. A friend took me to a fellow who did Ditda and it worked like a charm. Some might try acupuncture. I sure hope you find something that gives you overall relief for your whole body.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    6 months ago

Laurie..I’m sleeping in a motorized recliner..I haven’t tried to sleep in our bed..afraid my husband might bump my shoulder..afraid my tossing and turning would disturb his sleep..I keep saying I’m going to try our bed but haven’t ..I really should give it a try..

I’ve had one massage in my life..on a vacation..I didn’t like it..probably wasn’t a good masseuse..I know people that enjoy and recommend massages..

• bkay2000
    6 months ago

They removed the brace during the day at 2 weeks, I think. I still had to sleep in it for a long time. I think it was 3 months. I started physical therapy at 3 weeks.

bkay

6 months ago

bkay..I also started physical therapy at 3 weeks..now that you mention it I did sleep in my sling for awhile even though I didn’t wear it during the day..slept in the brace maybe 5/6? weeks?..this is an ordeal isn’t it?..

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 months ago

Ann, bkay, and anyone else going through this type of injury, I’m sorry to hear how long it takes to heal. I had no idea! I hope the PT is helping and that you will keep on making steady progress, as slow as it must seem at times, and I imagine frustrating, too!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 months ago

sandyslopes..thank you..my recovery is going well but it is definitely not fast..the good thing is I have 7 months before spring comes..

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 months ago

" the good thing is I have 7 months before spring comes"

Spoken like a true gardener! Spring is always something to look forward to.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    6 months ago

sandyslopes..this is the first time that I don’t resent a long wait until spring!..I need to recover..

“wonderland“ has falling leaves..my driveway..my east sideyard..the west woods..

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

People worry about surgery but it is a recovery that takes daylights out of you.

During PT you might want to ask about E stim machine?

I am big fan personally for any garden related injury I sustain.

I know a person in IN who does remarkable work on injury/recovery healing. If you interested, let me know.

Your garden as always looks magical with all leaves falling.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lindalana 5b Chicago
    6 months ago

lindalana..so true!..rehabilitating an injured limb is a nightmare!..I’ve seen other patients using those but I didn’t ask about them..I’ll ask at tomorrow’s appointment!..

I guess I’d rather fall in my garden than anywhere else!!! Lol..

thanks for the offer..I’m very happy with my therapist but I’ll let you know if I need more help..

thank you for your nice comment 🙂..I took these pics tonight as it was getting dark..I needed to go out one more time!..a few more..

Coast to Coast and the Yellow Polka Dot Bikini I finally planted last week..

this Boston fern still looks nice..too bad it’s going to die..nobody I know wants to save it..including me..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    6 months ago

Ann, sorry you aren’t getting good ….. it’s sooooo important for healing. Thank goodness before any of my replacement and torn tendons surgeries, I purchased a purple bed. My husband found a terrific adjustable frame with remote that allows me to adjust the bed for what I need throughout the night. The frame was about $1000 from a local carrier. I also had the 3” foam topper added. It’s quite soft. When I had my surgeries, I was so happy I made this decision as it allowed me to be comfortable throughout the day. With the tendon surgery, I was confined to bed basically for 3 weeks.

I also sympathize with you as I deal with quite a bit of chronic pain myself. It’s hard to function when you hurt. Do you still ice at all? Maybe in therapy they could use ultrasound or what is called a cold laser, which is used for healing soft tissue. Vets have used them for years to treat injured patients. Doctors and therapists use them now too. I have received some of these treatments awhile ago. It’s safe and painless. Sister’s surgeon recommended this for knee replacement.

Spring is awhile away so you have plenty of time. Most of these replacement surgeries take a good year to heal. You will be close to a year by Spring, I think so look forward to that.

debra

6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

debra..waking up often seems to be common with this surgery..I don’t really understand why I wake up..my pain isn’t severe..

I used an ice pack a few days ago..

I asked and was told those units weren’t useful for me..

• bkay2000
    6 months ago

The flier from UTSW regarding recovery from a shoulder replacement says not to expect to sleep for the first three months.

All I can say is, if it had it to do over again, I wouldn't.

bk

6 months ago

bkay..I felt as if I had no choice but surgery..the recovery is tougher and slower than I imagined..

• KW PNW Z8
    6 months ago

Ann, I can’t imagine you had any choice. A badly damaged & injured joint doesn’t have much chance of healing properly & having full use of shoulder / arm restored. A replacement does have a high rate of restoring function. We need to celebrate that the medical technology exists to replace and / or repair our hips, knees and shoulders!

Kathy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked KW PNW Z8
    6 months ago

Kathy..I agree..at the moment my shoulder is far from perfect but certainly an improvement from what I’d have if I didn’t have surgery..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    6 months ago

Bkay, so sorry to hear you haven’t had a good result….. I know it takes a good year, sometimes 2 to fully recover. My right shoulder is giving me grief and I definitely don’t want another replacement. I will do injections until I have no choice. Hopefully that time won’t come.

debra

6 months ago

debra..sad that so many of us have orthopedic issues..😢

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    6 months ago

It is hard to be patient after serious surgery. I had spinal fusion surgery a year ago…….what I say now is I’m better but not the same. I had so many restrictions for months after the surgery and had to wear a back brace for months….that was a major PIA ! Healing for me is two years……it was have surgery or spend the rest of my life in a wheelchair. I am happy to be walking normaly, stamina is still an issue. Feeling greatful that I could get fixed!

I was so tired of my restrictions I actually told people I missed picking up the dog poop! And meant it! Got alot of giggles!

Sherry

6 months ago

Sherry..recovering from a serious surgery is a long process isn’t it?..your surgery was more difficult than mine 😢..

not to be negative but I doubt if I will ever be the same..both of us will have a “new normal”..

like you I’m grateful to be fixed..

I can relate that we’d prefer to do what needs to be done rather than needing help..

6 months ago

Sherry that is a long road to recovery but it beats the alternative. Yes even the most mundane (and dirty) tasks are welcome after an injury. All of you that have had surgery understand it more so than the rest of us who are simply getting older.

Ann it must feel good every time you are able to do something. It is no fun relying on others for tasks we normally do without even thinking about. Each day brings you closer to a full recovery.

4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

an update..I’m doing well enough that yesterday when I asked my Dr if I could stop therapy he said yes!..I function well but my range of motion is limited..probably always will be..but I’ve come to terms with it..I can do most of what I want to do..and if I need more reach I do have a left arm!..I had 49 therapy sessions in 20 weeks..I’ll continue to exercise at home..my next Dr’s appointment is in July..then x-rays annually to keep an eye on it..

my fractures are fully healed..everything looks good..I’m ready for spring..🙂

on 2 nice days last week we finished our chipping..we worked over 4 hours on both days..we came in because it was dark..

my Dr said ”that’s great” when I told him..

I go slower but I can still work outside for hours!..

thank you everyone for all of your support and encouragement ❤️..

it meant a lot to me..🥰

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    4 months ago

A St Augustine road trip is in order Ms Ann

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    4 months ago

Ann that is beyond wonderful! I am so happy that you are functioning to an almost full degree. That left arm got a lot of use and is probably pretty strong now. This is such good news!

4 months ago

Paula..I’d love a St Augustine road trip ❤️..and no therapy appointments so I’m free to go..

Laurie..I was pathetic at first..I’ve come a long way but still hoping for more improvement..working outside again when spring and summer come will be great therapy..I believe that going outside soon after my accident contributed to my recovery..

• KW PNW Z8
    4 months ago

Ann, your news is wonderful! Such a journey you’ve been on! My bet is this - next summer your range of motion and strength in your right arm will be very much more than what you have today. The way you are getting back to moving your arms & all the upper body work you’re doing in the yard is phenomenal. I had a different shoulder injury at different times on each side. The worst one pain wise, took over a year but suddenly one day I realized - Wow! I can raise this arm straight up along side my head! I hadn’t even realized the improvement until then. The other arm - suddenly I could hold it flat against my chest with my other arm - I hadn’t been able to get closer than @ 8” from chest after injury. Now mind you - my shoulder injuries were no where near the severity of your break but they were enough to hurt like you know what & cause inconvenience. So, my money is on you continuing to make superlative progress. Soft tissue injury takes a very long time to heal. Let us know next spring / summer if I’m correct in my outlook for you.

Merry Christmas and a very Happy and Healthy New Year to you!

Kathy

4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Kathy..I love that both of your shoulders healed and your arms function well now!..shoulder injuries take a long time to heal..my therapist said a year or even 2..
    I hope someday that I can say “Kathy you were right!..my range of motion and strength are much better!”..
    it’s a boost to put 2023 behind me..I’m happy to see 2024..👍

thanks Kathy..

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Great news Ann! Glad to hear all of that stuff is now behind you. I’m still hoping to be better with the camera, more health struggles this past summer interferred….doing so much better now. So……. we better get those photos coming when the hosta appear….right? 😉

Sherry

4 months ago

Sherry..sorry you’re still dealing with health struggles 🙁..it’s a day at a time right?..

this is silly but made me smile today..this morning it occurred to me as I put some dishes in the dishwasher that it’s great that my dishwasher is left of my sink and I can use my uninjured left arm 😀..

I’ll certainly post what I have..can I use my fall as an excuse for a limited selection of pictures?😜..kidding..

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Well Ann, I am using my healthstuff for an excuse🤣. I really think next season will be better for both of us. 👍🏻

Sherry

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 months ago

Good luck tonight Ann!

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 months ago

thanks!..congratulations on the Steelers win 👏..

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 months ago

Now we need HELP….but with TJ going down we really don’t have a lot of hope even if we do move on

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

football and gardening are heartbreaking 🙁..
    as for our team..I can relate to you..we watch and hope for wins..we don’t look good at the moment..

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 months ago

So hard to love something and have absolutely no control over the outcome!

3 months ago

Colts blew it..disappointing..kind of like when a limb or an animal ruins a plant..

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    3 months ago

Sorry, that was a pretty crappy way to end the season :(

3 months ago

sure was..I felt bad for the player that missed the final catch..not his fault..hope he doesn’t feel too bad about it..
    fingers crossed for the Steelers🤞..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 months ago

Ann, I am so happy for you that you’re doing well! You have recovered well from a difficult major surgery!
    Now, I fear I may be looking at a shoulder replacement as well. So far I have been able to keep surgery at bay by getting injections, but fear that option may not be the long term solution. I have a lot of arthritis in the joint and am pretty much hurting throughout the day. Last night I was kept awake from throbbing in the shoulder….. if I am going to need surgery eventually I am thinking the younger I am, the better I will tolerate the surgery. I am 70 now and not getting any younger as the saying goes. I will keep you posted if you like.

debra

3 months ago

debra..thank you!..bummer 😢..a planned shoulder replacement is so much easier than one with a traumatic injury..my husband’s recovery from a shoulder replacement was a breeze compared to mine..my husband was “bone on bone”..his rotator cuff was ok so he had an anatomic replacement not a reverse like mine..recovering from a reverse replacement takes longer..he does have less pain now..keep us posted..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 months ago

So nice to hear your husband’s shoulder surgery was a breeze compared to yours. I am thinking of my sister and her first shoulder surgery…..she was in a truly awful state coming home from 1 night in the hospital. I couldn’t believe they couldn’t keep her longer. She’s younger than me by 8 1/2 years but maybe 40-50 pounds heavier. I know you are thin and so am I so maybe I will do well. I hadn’t thought about the traumatic injury……of course that would be more difficult. How long would you say your husband was “incapacitated?

debra

3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

he was driving after a week..I thought this was foolish but he said “I’m fine”..after 30 therapy sessions he told the Dr “I don’t need any more therapy”..the Dr agreed..he seemed normal to me in 3? 4? weeks..I had 49 therapy sessions and have half of his range of motion..I thought “I can exercise on my own and continue to heal and if need be will go back to therapy”..my Dr said he was fine with that..
    if your sister had rotator cuff surgery I’ve heard that’s more painful than a replacement..
    you’re active you’ll do well..
    I’m not as slim as you..definitely not as thin as I used to be!..and since my fall..recovering in a recliner while my husband served me food and drinks didn’t help 😂..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 months ago

Thanks so much for the update. Your husband’s recovery is certainly encouraging. My sister didn’t have the rotator cuff problem, I don’t think. But she was in bad shape that first couple of weeks.

I know you are still healing…..isn’t it amazing how long it “really” takes?

debra

3 months ago

debra..it takes forever 🙁..it is what it is..
    I was outside 3 hours today collecting and cutting up sticks..it was wonderful to be out!..I only thought about my arm occasionally when I moved too fast or reached too far..