SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

OT - volunteer hollyhocks in my garden

jacqueline9CA
9 months ago

Yellow one - aat least 9ft tall:

I took the pics today. All of these hollyhocks made green mounds last year, and then after our 4 months of non-stop rain shot up and are now in full bloom. I did not plant any of them, and I have not grown hollyhocks in any of these beds on purpose for at least 25 years. Last year one giant round leaf one did show up in my new garden. This year they are all the grape leaf shaped type, in 3 different colors. I guess all of that rain woke up some old dormant seeds. Not complaining, but weeding out the 100s of baby ones which have shown up where the giant round leaf one was last year is definitely on my list for things our gardeners to do tomorrow when they show up! I love the colors of the volunteers, especially the dark magenta one, which I only noticed 2-3 days ago. Definitely saving seed from that one.

I don't buy many plants anymore - they all reproduce so fast in my garden that for me "gardening" consists mainly of taking out the ones I don't want, and moving some of the ones I do want (as well as getting rid of the weeds, of course) I do want. Magic free nursery here already.

Jackie

Pink ones:

Magenta one:

Jackie

Comments (14)