SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_373650237

Issues on the new HVAC systems

HU-373650237
10 months ago

I hired a local contractor to replace my two 23-year-old York HVAC systems with single-stage American Standard AC/coil/furnace for two zones(one furnace in attic, one furnace in basement, two A/C units outside). I found two issues and I appreciate any comments/suggests for them:

#1:
I found that wires to the boards inside the two furnaces are different: the white/red wires to the "B/C" and "Y/Y1"(please see the pictures below). I think one furnace might have got connected incorrectly by mistake. I found a wiring diagram online for furnace and A/C, it looked to me that the red and white wires connect to the outdoor unit(A/C or condenser?), could it be polarity insensitive(that is, reverse polarity doesn't matter)? Both systems(two zones) have been running well and making the house cool since the installation though, but if such incorrect connection may break something for long run, I want to fix it as soon as possible. If the red/white connection to the outdoor is polarity sensitive, then I am afraid to make change by myself, considering the installer might swap the wires outside as well on purpose for some reasons, if I simply swap the wires inside, it may break/burn something... Please advise. Thanks!

#2:
I found the "upper zone"(cover around 1,500 sq ft second floor area, with furnace in attic, and 2.5 Ton new A/C outside the house) could have been cooling the house slower than expected(at last I expected faster): about half an hour from 85F to 82F, and another half an hour from 82F to 78F. Is it good or bad sign? Could it be the new A/C to cool down the house slowly just for energy saving(but I have single-stage A/C), or something wrong with my new A/C(not enough R410-A?)? I used infrared thermometer to check several vent outlets and got around 60F(please see photos below), and I could feel cool air blowing just like my old 23-year-old A/C(same 2.5 Ton), so is this normal or do I just worry too much? The thermostat is in the master bed room with its door opened to landing area, which connects to the two-story foyer(that is, kind of open floor plan). Also, during such test, I kept the "lower zone"(covers first floor and basement with 4 tons A/C) powered off. Please advise. Thanks again!

Comments (2)