SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mimi2300us

What length of Picture ledges (hanging shelves) for above couch?

mimi2300us
10 months ago

Decorating stresses me out and that’s why I haven’t done it. However, it’s time to put up some family pictures. I want to start small and focus on decorating above my sectional couch with putting up some picture ledges. But I can’t decide on the length of the picture ledges and how many. Please help me! I’m about to give up.

Information:
The length of my sectional against the wall is 113 inches. I have low ceilings, not sure if that matters.

The only thing that I’ve decided is that I want the shelves to be white in order to brighten up the area.

Questions:

1. What would look best in this area? Getting two long shelves or 3-4 shorter shelves?

2. Once I decide on the length then what placement should they be on the wall? Staggered?

OPTION 1: If I get the two long shelves, I could only find 60 or 72 inch shelves. Which length should I get? Should it be staggered? How much overlap will it need?

OPTION 2: If I get 3-4 shelves, what size should they be? I’ve seen 36 and 46 inch shelves. How many should I put up (3 or 4)? I can see leaving off the very top shelf.

PICTURES: The first picture is the wall above my sectional. The second picture is of two staggered picture ledges which I thought that’s what I wanted. But then I saw the third picture’s layout and that’s when I wasn’t sure what would be the best layout for my area. I still want white shelves but I’m not sure what size/layout will look the best.

If you made it this far, thank you!! I’m close to giving up.

Comments (15)