SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ostrich0001

Is my Sambucus Black Lace dead???

ostrich
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

My 3 year old Sambucus Black Lace still has not shown any new growth this season!

Last years was its second season and it was growing like CRAZY - by the end of the summer last year, it was already close to 6 foot tall! It was growing so vigorously that I was really looking forward to its return this season. However, so far, it has not shown anything at all! NO sign of growth. When I cut down on the older branches, the parts near the crown seem to be alive but then there was no sign of new growth at all.

On the other hand, my other Sambucus Black Lace in another location has already leafed out very well. And this one is even in a very protected location near the foundation too.

Is it safe to say that this is pretty much a goner? I know that I am in Zone 4a in central Edmonton, and this guy is a bit borderline for us, but then I thought that with its vigorous new growth last year, it would come back even stronger... but WRONG! Sigh...

Should I just take it out and replace it with something else? No point in waiting further, right?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments (7)