SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

"Rare York groundsel flower brought back from extinction"

Comments (5)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 months ago

That's interesting. But it wasn't extinct if there were viable seeds.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • diggerdee zone 6 CT
    10 months ago

Cool story!

:)

Dee

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT
  • Jeb zone 5
    10 months ago

It looks like something I would pull up and then put in the trash so it wouldn't start spreading in my garden. ;) - Is the rare York Groundsel a food plant for an endangered butterfly or moth? The article says that it might be important to pollinators in the future but has anything suffered during its hiatus? The article also says that it produces flowers every month of the year? Have you heard about the Cane Toad?? Has mankind isolated a chemical contained in the plant that would be used for the betterment of anyone or anything? I get that nature is very interconnected, in ways we will never fully know or understand but if this plant were to go extinct it isn't exactly going to change the course of the universe.

Guess I am feeling sassy today. But yeah, cool article!

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked Jeb zone 5
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 months ago

Senecio eboracensis is the product of two very similar species which arose naturally where it now grows. Hence it is very unlikely to be any kind of environmental threat. It is not comparable to the cane toad which was imported from a different continent. Flowering all year round is not unusual here. Both of its parents do the same and are not a problem. No, it isn't going to change the course of the universe by itself. But it is scientifically interesting being one of only six new plant species to be discovered in either the UK or North America in the last 100 years. And we need all the wild plants we can get.

rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a) thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • Jay 6a Chicago
    10 months ago

Does this Senecio hybrid always grow true from seed? I don't really understand how a hybrid can be elevated to species rank? Rediscovery of extinct hybrid, not extinct species. There will be new species of North American Packera in the future. Their are populations that don't key into any known species and they are being studied currently. Some are varietals and others so new that they were lumped into other Packera species in the past. Some are so new that they haven't been included into any past treatments. Light speed communication and many botanists scouring every inch of the continent makes this possible.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz