SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yoyobon_gw

OT.......Nova Scotia smoke plume

yoyobon_gw
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

Did anyone in the northeast experience the NS smoke plume ?

Last night I was outside around 7 pm and the air was smoggy and the smell of smoke was so strong I had to go inside and close all the windows.

Then as quickly as it had settled on us, it cleared.

I expected a scent of smoke but not the actual smoke and stench.

Comments (13)

• vee_new
    10 months ago

Saw this on the BBC. Has there been a particularly dry Spring?

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Vee.....probably, and a particularly dry winter as well.

• rouan
    10 months ago

In upstate NY here and we have had some effects from it but not as much as your area. mostly it’s been upper level haze, giving us some spectacular sunsets.

• msmeow
    10 months ago

There is a lady on another forum who lives in NS and she said it has been very dry and windy. A community center in her town that was built in 1861 burned yesterday. Many horse farms have been evacuated and lots of people who are not in danger are taking in as many horses and people as they can.

Donna

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Here it is June 6, and our forecast for today was "smokey".....with a warning to avoid being outdoors for long periods.

It's a low smokey haze with a distinct odor of smoke.

Another day of keeping windows shut.

If the sun tries to break through the light is an eerie orange.

Ugh.

• Carolyn Newlen
    10 months ago

I'm in Kentucky, and this morning's newspaper warned of haze due to the fires. There is a light haze, and my son-in-law mentioned the pretty sunset last night. l will look tonight.

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    10 months ago

From the NY POST this morning:

Hazy sunrise as poor air quality grips New York City

An eerie, orange haze illuminated the skies across the East on Tuesday morning. As wildfire smoke from Canada spreads across the East, air quality alerts have been issued for a large swath of the Northeast.

A fiery, red sun rose in a sky packed with smoke Tuesday morning. Wildfire smoke from Canada transformed the morning sunrise across parts of the East into an orange, photo-worthy haze.

As the smoke is forecast to continue spreading across parts of the East this week, an air quality alert has been issued for New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont and New Hampshire.

This alert means air pollution concentration in the region will be unhealthy for people with heart or lung disease, children, and adults over 65. The alert warned these people to limit their time outdoors.

“Exposure to elevated levels of fine particles such as wood smoke can increase the likelihood of respiratory symptoms in sensitive individuals and aggravate heart or lung disease,” the National Weather Service alert said.

F

• annpanagain
    10 months ago

We are getting this news on TV in Australia. I think some of our firefighters are going there to help.

I have had a rainbomb here. The water came close to my front door as the street drains couldn't cope. I am on a down slope. Water was bubbling up from the soak well even!

We put thick blankets and throws as a barricade by the front door and that worked.

It is cold and damp today so I have my dual A/C on full heat all the time.

The rainbomb gave us nearly the usual June Winter rainfall in one day!

• yoyobon_gw
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Annpanagin......I have heard that Canada has sent out a plea to other countries for help.

This is all very, very unsettling.

There have not been any birds chirping or flitting about for over three days.

The day is always at half-light and whatever bits of sun that is able to pierce the cover of smoke is an orange color.

Depressing.

We could use a rainbomb or two.......or three.

• annpanagain
    10 months ago

I don't think so! Rain would make the fine ash in the air mucky and really smell bad.

We get that after a bush/wild fire followed by rain.

Our birds are back now and picking at the tasty morsels flushed out! They are mostly magpies around the Village and nest in the park next to us.

• vee_new
    10 months ago

How are you all doing fire/smoke/haze-wise?

Luckily over here forest fires are most uncommon (very few old-growth ancient forests left) although with recent hot dry Summers fires started in undergrowth etc can cause significant damage.

After a cold and wet Spring we have had no measurable rain for over a month although thunder storms threaten today . . . and often we hear the rumbles but the rain seems to pass us by!

• Carolyn Newlen
    10 months ago

We had 1.10" of rain Wednesday that cleared our skies, but today (Sunday's) paper said there is still enough haze to bother people with breathing problems.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor