SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

improving this shady area

Jason, zone 7A, near Greensboro NC
11 months ago
last modified: 11 months ago

I'm still working underneath my tulip magnolia. It's mostly shade, other than some morning sun and then dappled sun throughout the day. This pic was from February:

Here's where I am now; please ignore the weeds on the left hand side, I haven't gone too far pas the birdbath yet:

There's a birdbath planter to the left / South. It has portulaca in the birdbath, then around the base is three green hostas (Royal Standard, maybe?), a Palace Purple coral bell, an Autumn Joy sedum, and the Japanese painted fern on the right:

And here's the other area up close. I created a small rock wall. On the back side of the wall is a blue hosta (Blue Angel, maybe) with a Christmas fern in the back left and a Forever Purple coral bell in the front right. Then in front of the wall, left to right, is a variegated hosta, Pumila astilbe, Queen of Hearts brunnera macrophylla, and a Japanese painted fern. And a cement rabbit statue for a little peek-a-boo :-)

Behind this area is a Bleeding Heart dicentra, and then another variegated hosta.

Unplanted and near the astilbe is a red coral bell; I don't remember the variety right now. I'm thinking about planting it right here to add color between the greens, but I'm not sure if it's too much muchiness.

Thoughts so far?

Next, I'm not sure what to do between these two areas. Right now it's just a big, bare spot with direct morning sun and then dappled sun for the rest of the day (and then direct sun all Winter, when the tulip magnolia is bare). I'd really like to put some sort of evergreen here, but it can't be too tall and of course has to have shallow roots. Maybe a dwarf radicans gardenia?

I'd also like to place a Chansonette camellia beneath the window (which should be about 2' tall and 8' wide), but those are apparently pretty hard to find :-/

The blank spot between these two sections is my main issue right now, though, so I'd love any feedback or suggestions on how to improve it!

Comments (14)