SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jason_carlton26

Mountain Laurel in shady areas, or alternative suggestion?

I have a garden that's on the North side of my property and surrounded by large trees:

On the right (East) is a white pine with Anne Marie ivy growing up it (which I intend to cut back). To the left of that tree is a large rhododendron. Then there's an oak, then another white pine.

It's hard to see in this pic, but to the left of that is a large rhododendron that didn't survive :-( I moved it from the far right a few years ago, and the transfer was just too much.

And to the left of THAT is another oak that's covered with Anne Marie ivy.

I'm looking to replace the dead rhododendron with something similar in size to the rhodo, but maybe not another rhodo. I need it to be able to handle the shade from the two large trees on either side of it, and I'd like for it to flower later in the year than the rhodo.

It's on a downward slope, so it needs to be able to handle water runoff. I have a sprinkler here that runs 20 minutes once a week, so there shouldn't be an issue of drought.

I'm at war with black ants, moles, and voles, so it needs to be able to handle that. It's enclosed, though, so no deer or other large herbivores.

Evergreen would be great, but not critical.

I'm thinking about a mountain laurel, but I'm not sure if it will handle that much shade. What do you think?

If not a mountain laurel, what else should I consider?

Comments (14)