SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathrynepost

mold found on framing of new construction home

Katie Hunter
11 months ago

Hello- this is a very sensitive subject so if you don’t have kind advice to give, please don’t comment. Our new construction home is being built, estimated finish date in early October. I have two small children, 2 and 4. My 4 yo has suffered from auto immune issues and has mold toxicity from our first home he lived in. We are paying our top budget ($1.6M) for this new home to be a place of healing for him.

Our house has full framing up, windows installed, roof installed and plumbing and electrical being done now. On our site visit today, I noticed several pieces of lumber scattered on the family room ceiling, covered in mold. Our builder knows my sons issues which is why they agreed to an air filtration system in our contract. He saw my face and knows how concerned I am. I only “inspected” the pieces I saw on the main floor. He said he’ll have his lumbar guy come out or something. Regardless, this is not ok. My son has struggled for 2 years mentally and physically.

What are our options? What do we demand be done? Who pays for this all? Unfortunately for our builders, we aren’t customers who can’t look the other way. I’ve done years of research on the effects of mold. Someone who hasn’t experienced mold illness may be just fine in this house but we will not be. I need serious direction and advice on how to address this and what to do. Here are photos of the 3 I did happen to see. I can imagine the volume of moldy wood in our 5500sf house is alarmingly large.

Comments (23)