SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbr463

For those who like design/build puzzles

dbr463
11 months ago

We are planning a custom build outside of Helena, MT. We own the lot which is large and flat and is in an unincorporated area so no building permit required. The build was supposed to begin late Feb. The original custom plan took 1.5 yrs but turned out to be cost prohibitive (build cost rose min 25%). To save time, after viewing of hundreds of plans online, we chose one that ticked most boxes.

-3 bed, 2+bath, office, one story, 3 car garage, approx 2000sf

-open floor plan, covered front and back patios

-good windows in living area to enjoy views

-large island and no sink in it

-front entrance closet

-mud room

-no water closet

We paid to make structural changes to the purchased plan. We changed the master bed ceiling from vaulted to tray (personal preference). We removed stairs that went to a bonus room (now considered storage). We changed three living room windows to one large 3 pc slider. We removed a large pantry which we felt was wasted space for us and made it a wet bar. Plus some other non structural changes. The plan is now out for bid.

I recently posted discussions here about some issues I have with the kitchen.

-Windows over kitchen sinks need to open, currently picture windows

-Larger pantry cabinet

-Roof Pitch

The responses identified other issues:

-Access to mud room, laundry, hallway, powder room, master bed is through kitchen work area

-Work triangle is not ideal

-Dishwasher door opens into work flow

-Rooms do not relate to each other

I am posting my plan and the current kitchen layout. If you have any ideas for better design and function that will not require structural changes, please advise, pictures help. Criticism is good but solutions are better.

I was avoiding a sink in the island but I am willing to make that change for a better flow. I do want a large island. We usually hang out there, me watching my husband cook. He doesn't want people in his cooking area. He has lots of big pots, pans, food processor, instant pot, etc. I wouldn't mind moving the fridge either. I never loved where it is located. I don't want to lose the window over the kitchen sink because it looks at the best view, which is the back of the house. I would like a wet or dry bar and a coffee/espresso area.

I apologize but I do not have the technological skills to clean up the plans and layouts. The kitchen is approx 12' 8" x 16' and the bar area is 5' 6" x 10' 8".

We are trying to break ground late June so I do not have the time to hire an architect to make changes and get new bids. We are going to lower the roof pitch from 12/12 to 8/12 everywhere. This changes the modern look of the exterior but I am more concerned with the interior at this point. We lowered the ceilings in the guest suite from 10' to 9'.

I believe my style is transitional as I like a blend of textures and colors. I have always called myself eclectic. I mix antiques with traditional, neutrals offset by textures, whatever I like goes. I DO NOT like angles and curves.

If you want to contact me direct, I do not know how to do that on this forum.

Comments (21)