SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xh_ac

How to install a heavy wall mount range hood with one off center stud

xh_ac
12 months ago
last modified: 12 months ago

I need to install a heavy (at least 70 lbs not counting the duct and duct cover above), wall mount 30 inch width range hood on a lath and plaster wall. Initially I thought there were two usable studs, but after I pulled the range away from the wall, I realized likely only one (the one on the right) is usable because the previous owner had cut a 6 inch chunk out of the stud on the left to accommodate a recess for the gas line. The one intact stud is only 4 inches away from the right edge of where the range hood would be, which means it is extremely off center. I wonder what the best way is to mount this range hood.

Just to add, the manufacturer's installation instructions say that additional screws can be applied directly through the back panel of the range hood to provide additional security. I wonder if it makes sense to just screw the back of the hood to multiple laths. While a single lath doesn't provide enough strength, if I screw the hood to multple pieces, maybe it'd be more secure?

Comments (5)