SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexh1000

Recurring chlorosis

alexh1000
last year

Hi, I have a couple of Nikko blues planted about 5 years ago. First 2 years great growth and blooms but last few years they have gone chlorotic. Last year was very bad, leaves almost white and one almost died. Flowers white! I tested ph with strips made for gardening many times and its about 6.5. Added lots of Epsoma soil acidifier and some ironite, magnesium and acid fertilizer for good measure last year and this year also but ph tests about the same. Good growth starting out this year, about half of the leaves are deep green but some are showing some chlorosis (with green veins) and then usually it worsens over time.

i also have a potted Hydrangea (smaller variety) and it also has some chlorosis. I repotted it this year using a fine bark product (its actually wood chips as far as I can see) because the existing potting soil was waterlogged.

i have Camelias in the same bed as the Hydrangeas and they do OK but not great.

I read that the Epsoma product is not very effective and the pros usually use Fertilome. Is this worth trying?

I read a good article on chlorosis by a PHD and he says if PH is not right its best to give up on that plant but the Fertilome comments says it's very effective and I can't imagine a cottage garden without Hydrangeas.

Thanks

Comments (3)