SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_besch

Floor Plan Review/Recommendations

Andrew Besch
last year
last modified: last year

Hi All,

Hoping to get any ideas for improvement of our floor plan. We have a well respected architect (yes, a R.A., licensed by state), and we are generally very happy, but are always looking for improvements. We have some concerns about the primary bath, in particular.

House will be located in upstate New York, on a wooded 16 acre lot. About 2750 square feet over two floors. Basement will also be a walkout (finished in the future). Our first floor plan, along with a 3D massing rending is below.

Comments (53)

• Andrew Besch
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for the comments. 

The front porch is something we've always wanted. I wouldn't say it has a purpose beyond using as a place to sit and have a cup of coffee or read a book. Is there a particular concern about the porch?

The closet would be mostly hanging items, with some lower storage (shoes or drawers)

I generally agree regarding the primary bed/bath/closet area. Seems that the closet and bath are a bit cramped, while the bedroom has wasted space. Any recommendations on a rework?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Raise your concerns to your architect.

The porch has no convenient connection or travel path with the kitchen.

How well respected is your "well respected architect"?

• Related Discussions

Floor Plan Review Revised Plan

Q

Comments (5)
    I'm not an expert on dimensions, but here are a few things that caught my eye: - Maybe move the MBR closet door a bit toward the front of the house, and use a pocket door. That would allow you to have a hanging rod or shelves on the other short wall in the closet and you wouldn't have to work around the open door when you're in the closet. - If you're planning a masonry fireplace/chimney, you're not going to be able to have the window where you've placed it in the Master Bath. - You might want two windows on the long wall in the MBR, so there is one on either side of the bed (assuming the bed goes on that wall). - if the Bonus Room is meant to be a media room, you could stub in plumbing for a bar sink in the corner behind the main bath. - if the main floor office is meant to serve as a guest room at some point, you might consider making the powder room at least a 3/4 bath. I'm not sure how to do that in the space you have, but it's a consideration. (Maybe cede the coat closet space back to the powder room and rob some space from the office closet for a new hall closet?) - You don't have a way to close off the laundry room from the rest of the house. Maybe there is enough distance and drywall between the laundry room and the LR to make the noise not an issue, but maybe not. - You're definitely going to be floating furniture in the LR, so consider ample floor outlets in your electrical plan.
    ...See More

Floor Plan Review Photos of Plan

Q

Comments (6)
    Thanks for your input Renovator8. Are all of the major spaces awkward? Which ones in particular look the worst? Do you have any suggestions on how I could make this flow better? We've looked at how we live on a day to day basis and how we would like our home to function. This plan seems to be the best flow for our lifestyle, but some help from GW may help us change it for the better. If you were to provide some more feedback I may understand why it is so awkward. I'm definetly an amateur so I would love some input on how to make things flow better. I do recognize that some aspects of our plan is not traditional in the way most houses are being built: i.e. stairs are by the entrance, not accessed easily from the interior of the home. Living room is at the back of the home and not accessed through an entry to the home. There are some reasons why we chose to do this. On the east coast of Canada we have a much more informal way of living. We entertain in the kitchen/ dining room (kitchen parties) rather than the living room. We will have a covered deck off the kitchen since we do have so many kitchen parties. Sometimes women and children gather in the kitchen/ dining and the men will go to the living room or the garage. Many people including us do not use their basements other than storage and utilities such as hot water heater, furnace etc. The stairs are usually only accessed to store seldom used things such as extra supplies, seasonal wear and seasonal decorations. Our lot is set up so that all of the outdoor living and access to the home is on the south side. The north side is 100 acres of family woodland that won't be accessed. I hope these extra details of our lifestyle and how we would like our home to function will help you provide us with some input.
    ...See More

In Need of Second Floor - Floor Plan Review

Q

Comments (7)
    I like it! The stairs are now leading to the master suite and office, but it seems more private than the other version (flip). I think it's because the master door is further from the top of the stairs? Also....much more difficult for kids to come or go, without you hearing them! LOL Not that they would, but it's still nice to be prepared :) The laundry...I like this better, too. And the bedroom sizes. The closets seem more equal and the larger sink area and shelves in the hall bathroom are nice touches. My only advice would be to really insulate that wall between the two bedrooms. In case your son doesn't want to hear giggly-girls during a sleepover!
    ...See More

Floor plan review help

Q

Comments (33)
    If this is a plan you found online, I’ll preface my comment by saying as a homeowner, tweaking floor plans can be a crazy-making endeavor., but... why not rotate or find a plan with the long side of the home facing the view? When you’re in a kitchen or dining room, you’re positioned higher than those seated in s living room, so it still works out to maximize a view from those spaces. Fireplace would move out of way, to side.
    ...See More
  • houssaon
    last year

Looks nice. Large.

• lmckuin
    last year

I agree with the comment about primary bedroom being too big while office and closet are a little small.

Also do you keep your mud room very tidy? Guests will have to walk in that space to use your powder room.

The pantry doors would likely annoy me getting in the way if I just wanted to get something out quickly. I don’t think that space will be as usable as you think it might be.

And I assume you will have a TV in another room? The great room doesn’t have a good spot for one. If you are going to put a TV there, I would do an asymmetrical fireplace wall to create space for a TV at the correct viewing level.

And lastly, is there no back yard? I see there isn’t outdoor access that way. Will you have a grill somewhere?

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

Have you taken the time to really study your daily living and apply it to your plans for a new home.

Things that I noticed with just a quick look is the large mudroom and small laundry room with no place to fold or hang clothing. Large kitchen but only a reach in pantry. Traffic pattern from garage through the home is directly in line with where the counter stools will be when people are sitting at the counter. Large fireplace in the center of the wall. Do you spend more time watching the fire or watching TV? Do you like a TV over the fireplace? Do you actually use a fireplace? Guest bath by the mudroom/laundry. Small master vanity and as someone above mentioned a 5' wide master walk in. TV not visible from kitchen.

Too many juts in an out - more expensive than a simple rectangle. WFH office off bedroom and small - this would be a problem for me - like my space a bit more separate and I like a larger office. Would feel claustrophobic for me. But these are all about me and my needs/priorities and what is important to you may be very different.

As you go through your daily routine think about what kind of space you need in each room and closet. Where do you currently have ample space, where are things tight? What works well in your current home and what drives you crazy? How many people are in your home daily and how often do you entertain? What are your needs when you do entertain?

• vinmarks
    last year

Have you thought about window placement and will you end up with windows in your primary closet taking up more wall space?

The office is too small. I would not want to work in that space.

The kitchen needs work. The range seems smooshed into the corner. Not a fan of that pantry.

Will you have a deck or patio and if so where will the door be to get out?

Your master bedroom only has space for windows on one wall.

Will you even be able to have a window in the masterbath?

• nickel_kg
    last year

Not a bad start. My personal bug-a-boo is the toilet in a narrow, claustrophobic room. And large bathrooms (especially on a north wall) are often cold, will you have heated floors?

But 16 acres in upstate New York? Wow, you need much more outdoor sitting space than that current porch! It must be beautiful with all sorts of songbirds and wildlife. My previous house had an 8-foot deep wraparound porch on three sides. There was always a pleasant space to sit, in shade in summer or in the spring & fall sun. If wrap-around won't work for you, at least provide for a nice deep deck.

• littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year

When you re-work the master bath and bedroom, why don’t you try to get the washer-dryer in there? It could be in its own new space - exchange it with the office location.

It’s a mystery to me why architects persist in placing the laundry next to the garage, far away from the bedrooms. In this case, far FAR away. The laundress (launderer?) will easily accumulate their 10,000 steps on laundry day.

Will this be an aging-in-place, retirement, or forever home? Another reason to have the laundry closeby.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

When building a home I would want to make it as light and airy as I can, to maximize both light and passive solar. The first order of business would be to make sure the house is best oriented on the lot to take advantage of the sun, light and prevailing winds.

If I were building a home on 16 acres I would not have the garage attached to the house the way you have it. That makes sense if you are constrained by setbacks on small-ish lots, but in doing so you limit having windows on the wall where the garage abuts the house. An alternative is to either have a detached garage or one attached to the house by a narrow, windowed space, like a screened porch or mudroom.

I would try to avoid having closets, mudrooms, laundry rooms or pantries on outside walls, especially on corners.

I like porches as well, but I'd carefully consider where to place them, especially in a house on a wooded lot, where they cut down on the light entering the house.

I'd bring these concerns up to the architect and have him/her re-design it with these points in mind. Only then can you address the finer points that others have brought up.

• Andrew Besch
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks everyone, for the constructive comments. We are certainly going to have additional conversations with the architect about some of these points. Getting different perspectives helps us see things in a different light. 

The house is for 3 of us right now (2 adults, 1 child), with possibly more child(ren) in the future.  

There will be a larger rear deck, with a big slider off the dining area wall (which of course isn't shown), so we feel there will be plenty of outdoor space.

Laundry room location is an interesting discussion. On one hand, I understand not wanting to haul laundry around the house. On the other, I see a big benefit to having muddy kids and dogs funneled right into the laundry from the garage. One of our goals was to have the primary "wing" sort of a kid free zone, which is why the laundry ended up on the other side of the house.

Appreciate all the thoughts!

• bpath
    last year

The comment on the front porch had me look at it again, and while it looks a bit narrow for sitting with a book or watching kids play basketball and ride bikes on the driveway, it will be very handy for walking from the driveway to the front door, especially in the rain, and especially if it is a bit deeper so chairs aren’t in the way.

• Lorraine Leroux
    last year

Some initial thoughts.

18 corners in your floor plan. WOW that is a lot of extra cost in both the foundation pour and roof outlines that is of no benefit to the people living in the house. Get rid of the master jut out extension maybe to increase the space that is needed to give you a better closet layout as well as a much better office layout. It bugs me that the office has no windows. Feels like a second thought closet. And as others have said wasted master space with created hallway because of door placement.

Kitchen

Stove is too close to the corner for a house of that size with the fridge crammed next to a wall.

Dining room looks pretty big. Maybe move the mudroom door more into the dining room to increase the kitchens depth.

Give the stove its own wall and move the fridge to the pantry side. Maybe even recess it into the pantry and put full height cabinets around it-pantry cabinets instead of a pantry closet.

• bpath
    last year

What is separating the living room from the dining room? and is that a wall of some kind across from the basement stairs? Some separations like that will be nice to make the living room cozier.

Re the stove, it is close to the corner but there is plenty of counterspace leading to the corner. Our kitchen is similar layout but with much (much!) less space between stove and sink, so yours isn’t so bad. We also like having the fridge there, as it is easy to grab quick condiments, a splash of wine, etc. I would, however, swap the sink and dishwasher. Have you planned out where you will store the tableware, the prep tools, cookware? Considered what kind of meal prep you do most? Your trash/recycle/compost needs?

• cpartist
    last year

All advice so far is excellent. I also post this all the time. Anything in bold should be looked at again. Obviously no house is "perfect" but when building one wants to get as close to perfect for you and your family as you can. I do think you're off to a good start.

The best homes are designed to suit the site and are a marriage of a well designed interior and exterior. (I'm assuming your architect walked the property with you.)

The best houses orient the public rooms towards the south for the best passive solar heating and cooling (I bolded this because you didn't let us know which direction is north.)

The best houses are L, U, T, H, or I shaped.

The best houses are only one to two rooms deep. And covered lanai, porches, garages, etc count as rooms in this case. (I'm bolding this because if the rear deck is covered, it will make the interior rooms dark. Plus the same with the front porch.)

The best houses make sure kitchens have natural light, meaning windows so one doesn't have to have lighting 24/7 to use the kitchen. (And no, dining areas with windows 10' or more from the kitchen will not allow for natural light.) (Again I'm bolding this because of the front porch.)

The best houses make sure all public rooms and bedrooms have windows on at least two walls.

The best houses do not if possible put mechanical rooms, pantries or closets on outside walls

The best houses do not have diagonal interior walls making for odd spaces.

The best houses keep public and private spaces separate.

The best houses do not have you walk through the work zone of the kitchen to bring laundry to the laundry room.

The best houses do not have the mudroom go through any of the work zones of the kitchen.

The best houses do not use the kitchen as a hallway to any other rooms.

The best houses do not put toilets or toilet rooms up against bedroom walls or public areas.

The best houses do not have walk in closets too small to stand inside.

The best houses have separation, such as closets, between bedrooms and between bedrooms and public rooms. (Note your master bedroom backs right up to the living room.)

The best houses do not have roofs that are overly large, and dominate the exterior of the house.

The best houses do not have stick on exterior materials only on the front façade.

The best houses have an organizing “spine” so it’s easy to determine how to get from room to room in the house and what makes sense. Meaning they don’t have meandering circulation paths.

The best houses design the inside, the outside and how the house sits on the site all at the same time.

• cpartist
    last year

Ok so after looking a bit I did play with this. This is in no way right yet as I still wouldn't be happy with the bedroom, but note I got rid of some of the bumpouts and now at least the bedroom is not backing up to the living room and it allows for windows on 2 walls. I personally would prefer my closets close to the master bath.

Additionally, the closet isn't right yet.

I also played with the kitchen appliances. When we cook, we take food out of the pantry/fridge, bring it to the sink to rinse, then prep between sink and cooktop. Each is a separate zone, and ideally you don't want to cross zones. I can't read your measurements so what is the width of the kitchen?

Like I said, this is just an idea of what you might move to but I would hope your architect could improve it even more.

• rockybird
    last year

Do you need the bump out for the bathroom? I would consider flushing it out forr a larger vanity, wc,, shower and closet. Cpartist’s idea is good too, but I wouldnt want the toilet on the living room wall, but I‘’m it can be moved in her design.

• cpartist
    last year

Cpartist’s idea is good too, but I wouldnt want the toilet on the living room wall, but I‘’m it can be moved in her design.

Oops, I missed that. Agree with you 100%. What both Rockybird and I are showing you is there are other ways to get to where you need to be.

I wouldn't like Rockybirds because the closet and bathroom both get two corners so there could be windows on 2 walls, versus the bedroom which only has windows on 1 wall and is still up against the living room. But you can see how it can be played with.

• bpath
    last year

I prefer rockybird’s as the bed isn’t right in front of you as you walk in, but ith other changes it could be moved to a side wall.

None of these deal with the office, which is so small the desk can go only against the outside wall.

• cpartist
    last year

None of these deal with the office, which is so small the desk can go only against the outside wall.

If you look at what I did, I made the office larger. :)

As for the bed, that of course is somewhat personal preference. :)

• bpath
    last year

Ah, you did make it larger, I missed that.

• Andrew Besch
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks cpartist, bpath, and rockybird for your comments and ideas! Really appreciate the help! Agree we'll have to keep playing with the bedroom area. cpartist - I like your version to get the bedroom to the outside wall with two window walls (and more separation from the main living area).  Changing the size of the bump out will, of course, change the roofline there, so the architect will need to work on that and see if it's doable (given that there is a bedroom above the current bedroom, but not the bathroom). 

As to the office, we know it is small, but my wife and I both work from home now and have small desks. It is, essentially just a laptop and a monitor, so we don't really want to have a huge office space (plus there will be a second office space in the basement at some point). 

On the kitchen, I agree with the moving of appliances. I like the idea of replacing the pantry with pantry cabinetry, and having the fridge recessed there. I'll play around with that. 

And yes, bpath, we like that the porch provides a nice walkway to the front entry when raining (or in this area, more likely snowing)! I think this might end up being a bit deeper than drawn here. 

Thanks again to all!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Contemplate this concept for the master bedroom suite (could even have a window in the hall.

Rethink the size of the Dining, Foyer, and Living Rooms.

• lharpie
    last year

The only thing i dont like about the porch is it looks like it will shade out all of your kitchen windows (hard to say for sure given absence of windows!). kitchen is one place i want lots of direct light. i’d rather shade out stairs and office.

• bpath
    last year

Which direction does the house face?

• cpartist
    last year

There you go. Mark's bedroom idea is even better.

• Jennifer K
    last year

You said:

Laundry room location is an interesting discussion. On one hand, I understand not wanting to haul laundry around the house. On the other, I see a big benefit to having muddy kids and dogs funneled right into the laundry from the garage. One of our goals was to have the primary "wing" sort of a kid free zone, which is why the laundry ended up on the other side of the house.

Muddy kids and dogs don't need a laundry room. They need a hose down station. Just think of all that mud needing to be cleaned up before you could safely fold your clean clothes. Better to put a floor sink with hose and faucet in the garage (or mudroom) where mud is not so distressing.

Me, I'd put the actual laundry room at the base of the stairs, between the living room and the primary suite. That puts it convenient to sources of laundry while still keeping the kids out of your bedroom. I'd also put a door to the outside on the laundry so you can easily hang your clothes on a clothesline if you wish.

• Andrew Besch
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks all for the continued suggestions. We are definitely going to work on getting the bedroom out to the outside walls (as cpartist and Mark, in slightly different ways, proposed). 

The front of the house will face southeast, which is largely dictated by the grade. 

cpartist - the width of the kitchen is 18.5 feet. If the refrigerator is recessed where the pantry is, does the flow become too spread out, having to go around the island to get to the cooktop?

• Mrs Pete
    last year

We have some concerns about the primary bath, in particular.

What are your concerns? I see a couple things I'd change:

- You're allotting space for duplicate sinks but don't seem to have enough space for adequate drawer storage for two spouses. Related: you don't seem to have much storage space in the bathroom /no space for a hamper or even a trash can.

- I'd take the toilet out of the closet.

- You're thinking of a pocket door ... the the enclosure in the wall is located right where you'll want to hang bathroom towel bars.

- You'll find this board is pretty much split 50-50 on whether a master bath needs a tub ... but pretty much everyone agrees that you need one somewhere in the house.

Looks like a lot of wasted space, spaces larger than they need to be.

Agree, especially in the master bedroom and between the kitchen /dining table.
    Does the front porch serve any purpose?

Keeps guests out of the rain. Most houses look good with a porch.

The pantry doors would likely annoy me getting in the way if I just wanted to get something out quickly. I don’t think that space will be as usable as you think it might be.

Agree about the doors ... pocket doors would work well here /would almost always be left open. In a house this size with a kitchen this size, I'd expect a walk-in pantry. In fact, I'd like to see the kitchen size slashed and the pantry enlarged.

And lastly, is there no back yard? I see there isn’t outdoor access that way.

I was going to say that too ... though I suspect the back yard access just isn't drawn in.

small laundry room with no place to fold or hang clothing.

On the other hand, the machines are on an exterior wall, and that's a big positive.

What I dislike is that the laundry is so far from the master bedroom. I'd look into swapping the laundry and the office. This would make the laundry very convenient for the master ... and also closer to the stairs /more convenient for the other bedrooms.

Too many juts in an out - more expensive than a simple rectangle.

Agree ... simple is always best.

On the other, I see a big benefit to having muddy kids and dogs funneled right into the laundry from the garage.

So how would this work? You strip the kids, drop their clothes into the machine and send them streaking through the house naked?

One of our goals was to have the primary "wing" sort of a kid free zone, which is why the laundry ended up on the other side of the house.

As shown now, the office is only a step away from the stairs ... so swapping the laundry and the office wouldn't really encourage the kids to encroach on your private space.

As to the office, we know it is small, but my wife and I both work from home now and have small desks. It is, essentially just a laptop and a monitor, so we don't really want to have a huge office space (plus there will be a second office space in the basement at some point).

This space is too small for two people who both work at home. Since you're considering having more children, I assume you have many years left in the work force ... I'd really want to see a separate office for each spouse. Surely you have more than just a laptop and monitor ... I mean, don't you have any reference books, files, office supplies and such? And sometimes you're going to need to make calls or take online meetings. Even if they're just "pocket offices", I think you each need one ... and I'd like to see one by the bedroom /one on the garage side for privacy.

I'd turn the desk to face the wall ... this means you won't have to scootch around one side to reach your seat, and you'll have a lot more walking space in the office. I'd consider a small bay window /window seat in the office. It'd be convenient for when you and your wife talk during the day, and it'd just be pretty. OR "build in" a window seat with two narrow closets on the sides ... it'd be perfect for office storage.

Side note: Be sure you include loads of outlets in your office.

There you go. Mark's bedroom idea is even better.

Yes, I definitely like the idea of pushing the master bedroom to the end of the house ... more light, more privacy. It doesn't need to be as large as it's shown in the original image ... maybe you could steal space from the master /turn it into those two offices.

Other thoughts:

- I'd consider moving the fireplace to the back wall /flanked by windows ... this would leave you the current fireplace spot for the TV.

- Do consider that the master bedroom's bed "backs up to" the fireplace /TV spot, which may keep you awake at night.

- You've drawn in a two-car garage. With two spouses working from home, do you really need two cars? We only had one car for years back when we were first married ... and now that we're retired, we're back to a single car. WOW, is it a huge money saver. Consider that if you need a second car only occasionally, it's cheaper to use Uber than to maintain it all the time.

- I'd flip the half-bath over so the toilet is on the wall shared with the kitchen ... this would keep your water needs to one wall /an interior wall, which is less likely to freeze.

- I'd make the half-bath door and the laundry door opaque glass ... this would bring some light in from two sides /would keep the mudroom from being a completely dark, uninviting space.

• bpath
    last year

mrsPete, work from home doesn’t mean you don’t need a second car! If you drive to see clients or customers, the other adult might need to drive for school, errands, etc (this from a one-car, one work from home and one non-employed, household)

I’m amused by the kid-free zone. Our bedroom is on the same floor as our kids, and they never came in. okay, almost never, but when they did, it was important. And when they wer sick, or up too late working on homework, I was glad to be nearby. What does kid-free zone mean?

• Andrew Besch
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks Mrs Pete. Some really good thoughts there!

Of course it doesn't mean actually kid free (is there even such a thing?). Was simply trying to express the desire to have an area of the house that isn't used on a regular basis by guests or other members of the family. Having a first floor primary (with other bedrooms upstairs) already achieves this in a way.

And yes, two cars are absolutely a necessity for us. We live in a fairly rural area, so everything is a drive away (and Uber is not a viable option), plus I do spend some days at a formal office space for work. Additionally, I didn't mean to imply that we both would work in the single office space.  I agree - that is not viable.  There will be an additional space in the basement (and upstairs, if needed).

• cpartist
    last year

cpartist - the width of the kitchen is 18.5 feet. If the refrigerator is recessed where the pantry is, does the flow become too spread out, having to go around the island to get to the cooktop?

Yes. Ideally you don't want more than 9' between appliances and the main sink.

The front of the house will face southeast, which is largely dictated by the grade.

That means your main rooms will be dark unless you put lots of windows across the front.

no space for a hamper or even a trash can.

I keep my hampers in the WIC's and our trash can is under one of our sinks.

- I'd take the toilet out of the closet.

This is a personal decision and there are 3-4 people on here who ALWAYS advocate for removing the toilet closet. Personally we love our toilet closet as there are many mornings when we're up at the same time and trying to get out at the same time. YMMV. Don't put it in just because you think you should have one.

What I dislike is that the laundry is so far from the master bedroom. I'd look into swapping the laundry and the office. This would make the laundry very convenient for the master ... and also closer to the stairs /more convenient for the other bedrooms.

AGREED!

• David Cary
    last year

I can't say that my designer ever gave me a floor plan without windows. Then I noticed you have 1 window so that seems ever more unusual. .

Windows and orientation are extremely important. You have land so orientation is your choice.

Hate double doors for pantry. Don't like pocket for bathroom off primary bedroom.

And agree with all about laundry location. I get muddy and I strip sometimes but interestingly never in the mudroom. Why would I want to open the garage when I am dirty. I don't get dirty and then get in my car and drive home. I mean sometimes - but I would hate to see the inside of my car if that was a regular habit.

I would want to know where the back door is.

I find the narrow porch in this setting a lazy design. And by lazy, I would question the competency of this architect (and also the plan without windows).

• cpartist
    last year

Did your architect come walk the property with you before he/she started?

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

I think building a custom home that is truly customized to fit the needs of your family requires a lot of planning and a lot of input from the home owner. The architect has a fabulous skill set and his experience tells him what worked for the other families that he designed homes for.

Did you go out and look at 1/2 a dozen homes that he designed?

Did you go out and tour 50 new homes and existing homes in your area that fit your basic needs?

Did you keep a journal of all of your findings.

Did you keep a record of your activities and daily life?

Did you share with him dozens of ideas?

Did you share dozens of photos of exteriors that you loved?

Why is your garage facing the front of the house when you have 16 acres of land?

Why does the bathroom addition feel like an addition and not like part of the house?

The house below is a 2795 sf home with two bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs, downstairs master and living space. It is one of my favorite homes that I have ever been in. It is not my home, but I was around when they designed and built the home. She had meticulous research and notes. She actually found a plan on the internet that was very close to what she wanted and worked with her builder to adjust the plan to fit her needs. Ended up not hiring an architect at all.

The owner does say that if she had it to do over she would rethink the large center island in the kitchen. Works okay when it is just her and her family, but she often hosts gatherings, and as she and her family/friends age more and more are using walkers. The walkways are not wide enough for two people to pass each other with their walkers.

Exterior Photo from Google street view

Interior rough layout based only on me walking through the home and knowing the home - sorry don't have measurements, so it is what I could quickly draw in excel.

The green space above is an idea that I thought was brilliant - it is a secondary garage - not for a car, but for the lawn and garden equipment. Has a standard one car garage door, but not deep enough for a car. Unconditioned garage space is far less expensive to build - can usually over size a garage for a fraction of the cost of adding sf to the interior.

If you notice her home does not have near the number of corners that your design has. The entire back end is a rectangle with just the front having more dimension. This is far less expensive to build than a home with bunches of corners.

If you are spending the money on a architect to design a custom home he should be delivering something that is far better than a design you could buy off the internet or could get in a new home development.

I don't see the value add in this design.

• Andrew Besch
    Original Author
    last year

Again, thanks to all for your comments. This, of course, is not a finished product, which is why I posted and sought the perspectives of those on this forum that know more than I do. I can't imagine many custom home plans are perfect in their first iteration.  We are meeting with the architect on Monday to discuss a number of the concerns raised here, as well as others we have, and look forward to making those changes to get the best final result possible.

Jennifer, I appreciate the comment and providing the house design. Although the stats are similar, that house is just not the style we like.  There are a number of things I can identify that I don't like about that floor plan - that is just the nature of people having different preferences. I assure you, we have done plenty of research (although I'm not sure how one could ever tour 50 new houses - I don't think there are even 50 houses on the market in our area), and had we found a floor plan online we liked, we wouldn't be spending the money to have the house designed. We absolute feel a value add. As I stated initially, we are generally happy, and feel the design fits the needs we have communicated. 

We specifically requested the front entry garage (which I know is generally frowned upon here). Having both lived in side entry houses, our experience is that this results in people entering through the garage or man door. We want the front door (and porch) used.  Additionally, the front entry works best with the site and the other aspects of the site plan (barn, pond, etc.)

Appreciate everyone's thoughts. I'm sure they will result in improvements in the next version!

• chicagoans
    last year

On that much acreage, do you spend a great deal of time outside? (Thinking yes... I would!) If so, it would be very nice to have an outside door into the mudroom, ideally from the back. (Maybe combine the mudroom / laundry a bit more.) Then you can come in directly from a hike, yard work, outside play with kid(s), etc., shed shoes in the mudroom and use the powder room as needed.

If you have (or ever get) a dog, it's nice to let them in and out through the mudroom as well, without going through the garage.

• Chris
    last year

Hi. We had three kids and there were no kid free zones until they left home. 🙃. So good luck there😂. Have you looked at any parade of homes online if not in person… sometimes they include the floor plans. Very interesting ideas to inspire! We built a few years ago, it’s very exhausting. This app it wonderful help! Good luck!

• cpartist
    last year

We specifically requested the front entry garage (which I know is generally frowned upon here). Having both lived in side entry houses, our experience is that this results in people entering through the garage or man door. We want the front door (and porch) used.

You do that by having a half circle driveway in front for guests. Not by making your garage a focal point,

Your architect should be able to show you that and how the house would sit on the lot with the landscape in front too. Has he done that? Shown you how it will sit on the site? For example this isa link to Architectrunnerguy who is on this forum and how he shows clients the relationship to the property.

I also think that on 16 acres you don't need your house attached so closely. The mudroom for example could connect the garage to the house and the garage could then be set back from the house. Again from ARG some examples to explain what I mean; Example

• Mrs Pete
    last year

The green space above is an idea that I thought was brilliant - it is a secondary garage - not for a car, but for the lawn and garden equipment.

I'd rather go with a shed in the back of the yard ... I'd rather have natural light in the main house, and this second garage is blocking that. A shed is also considerably cheaper than a garage built onto the house.

We specifically requested the front entry garage (which I know is generally frowned upon here).

Yes, it is frowned on here, and I don't understand why ... often a front-facing garage is the best option. You can have a front-facing garage without making it a "focal point". Consider the roofline /how it ties into the whole or place it a bit towards the back.

However, since you're building on acreage, I would consider placing your garage "away" from the house ... perhaps connected by a breezeway or mudroom. Not attached to the house like a suburban lot.

Having both lived in side entry houses, our experience is that this results in people entering through the garage or man door. We want the front door (and porch) used.

Note that the driveway is just as important as the garage orientation in this equation. This people-entering-through-the-garage thing is what you get if you have a side garage and just one simple straight driveway leading to it. In general, I don't think people pay nearly enough attention to driveways, yet they make a difference in how guests arrive.

I totally agree that your design should subtly direct your guests towards the porch /front door.

• Andrew Besch
    Original Author
    last year

A site plan is in the works, but we haven't yet received that.  Of course, nobody here has the benefit of all the context needed, but just because a house is on a big lot doesn't mean it is without constraint. Our lot has pretty significant slope in spots, wetlands, needs a septic system and well in certain places, and a lot of trees that we'd like not to kill. Sure, if we wanted to spend a hundred thousand or more on site work, and clear 3 arces of every tree, we might be able to do what some suggest with a separate garage, siting the house, or a circular driveway. 

Some of our goals that we communicated to the architect were to make the house fit in with the landscape, have a walkout basement to utilize the slope, and not look overly imposing on the site.  Not to say it can't be improved, but having the garage attached helps to achieve that, in my view, as it results in the smallest overall footprint. Would a side entry for this design be an improvement?  It feels like that means more driveway to build ($$), more driveway to plow, and brings parked cars farther from the front entryway. Perhaps I am off the mark on this, so I'll reassess.

Also, how does doing a detached (or attached, but more separated) garage impact costs? Many have commented that our house has too many corners, but wouldn't that require more corners, foundation to achieve?

As I noted, we meet with the architect tomorrow, so I will definitely be pushing on many of these ideas to make sure every option is being considered. I appreciate the continued thoughts.

• T T
    last year

I don't think your house has too many corners.  Sure, the most cost efficient design to build might be a pure rectangle, but that would be boring.  Having some visual interest versus a plain box is worth the minor incremental cost.  In the big scheme of things,  the number of corners won't be a significant cost driver.

• cpartist
    last year

Also, how does doing a detached (or attached, but more separated) garage impact costs? Many have commented that our house has too many corners, but wouldn't that require more corners, foundation to achieve?

I don't have an issue with the number of bump outs you have. I did my version more to make the interior work better. Heck my house has over 20 corners since my house is a U shape.

I don't think a separate garage would impact costs too much because the foundation on a garage is not necessarily the same as for the house. But of course your architect would know better.

I agree you don't want to completely mess with the landscape. After all, that's why you're buying the property but there may be ways to still make it work.

• just_janni
    last year

I'll focus on one area - you've had other really good suggestions.

Laundry.

double pocket doors to close off that space is a bad idea. They will never be closed, they are fussy, they don't block the noise and it makes the wonderful job of laundry worse by closing off a space and leaving you with no area to fold. I'd hate to find you entagled in a king sheet and half starved if you are home alone.

Open it up.

Move your entry door to the garage so that it forces you through the mudroom. Right now it's a straight shot into the house and your kitchen will be your drop zone.

Walk past the sink / make sink close to the door (plants, muddly kids / dogs, etc) . Make sure there is folding room near the dryer.

Make a real door that you can close to the kitchen if you are concerned about noise in a relatively open floor plan.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

@Mrs Pete,

The green space above is an idea that I thought was brilliant - it is a secondary garage - not for a car, but for the lawn and garden equipment.

I'd rather go with a shed in the back of the yard ... I'd rather have natural light in the main house, and this second garage is blocking that. A shed is also considerably cheaper than a garage built onto the house.

I can understand your viewpoint, I love natural daylight, but where would those windows go that would add more light?

In the shower? - I don't think so.

In the master closet? - I don't think this is a good idea either.

In the living room? Maybe? But more isn't always better.

There is already a whole wall of windows. The one end is open to the dining room and the wall opposite the windows is broken with the hall to the powder room and the foyer entrance and has a partially open staircase.

If you add a window on the one remaining wall where do you put the fireplace, TV, art? The other question you would need to know is what that window would face? They have only clerestory windows on the exterior wall facing the neighbors house.

I am also not sure where you would want to put a shed. They have such a pretty view and a really nice outdoor entertainment area. I think a shed would kind of ruin the ambiance.

I have a shed in my back yard and am very happy with it, but I don't find them attractive. I have an L shaped home with no windows at the end of the L. The shed sits along the property line behind that exterior wall.

It isn't visible from any door or window in my home and isn't even visible from most of my back patio.

I don't see that type of option in their back yard, where the shed wouldn't impact the view.

• Jennifer Hogan
    last year

I am curious as to the cost. I know several people who added either a third bay or extended the size of their 2 car garage so they had room for lawn equipment and outdoor tool storage.

A nice shed isn't inexpensive. I live in Amish country and so I had the opportunity to buy a used shed that was completely refurbished for a fraction of the cost of a new shed, but if I were to buy a new one today, same brand, same size (10x12) it would be over $3k, not including delivery or the foundation, so all in it would probably be $4k.

Adding 120' to a garage - making it 6' deeper or 6' wider during the initial construction of the home, might not be all that much more and you aren't left with an unsightly shed.

• bbtrix
    last year

Andrew, I totally agree with you about context. It's difficult to know all the variables, especially regarding the site and its relationship to your outdoor/indoor spaces. I've lived in the country for 45 years, also with 4 seasons, and lifestyle dictates our preferences. A front-facing garage makes total sense for your situation, especially with the mudroom, powder, and laundry directly attached to that wall. I'd put the sitework, driveway $$ savings into other areas of the house. Without knowing the age of your child and what you have planned for your outside spaces aside from the front porch, walk-out basement, and deck, nor the placement of doors, it's difficult to envision your everyday living traffic plan. Will there be green space for kid(s) play? A playground? A basketball hoop, an area to kick a soccer ball or play catch? Even if it's down the road, now is the time to plan. Maybe you already have considered these points. How will they access the house when playing outside? Have you plotted all travel paths around the house regarding everyday life, i.e. yard care, landscaping, entertaining, kids play areas and entry/exit to the house to contain dust/dirt? You mention dogs. Providing space for them makes life easier and cleaner. Where they eat, sleep, and access the house in wet weather is all important. Will they eat in the laundry? Have a dog bed/couch in the family room, a kennel somewhere? I assume you will have a man door in the garage near the mudroom entry on the north wall since you will funnel muddy kids and dogs through the garage. Will you have a cat? Providing hidden areas for cat boxes would be beneficial.

Laundry is a personal lifestyle preference, and its location should only be driven by your lifestyle. I prefer your location for many reasons. Most of my laundry is generated throughout the house and requires going to most every room to collect towels, rags, throw blankets, bedding, so the steps involved is a moot point for me and I welcome the movement. I don't want the noise in my bedroom area. I don't want house guests entering my bedroom area to do laundry while visiting. I do laundry while cooking, gardening, etc., and want it nearby to swap out loads. I want it near the mudroom as that works best for us in the country. We prefer some clothing storage space in the mud/laundry area for a quick change. The powder room is right there. With my grandson involved in sports, we definitely strip him down in the mudroom and those clothes go directly to the laundry. I would prefer a larger laundry, but cannot read your dimensions so it's difficult to make recommendations. Where will you store vacuums and cleaning supplies for easy access? Do you have battery powered yard tools (mower, string trimmer, blower, etc.), power tools, kid battery powered toys? A designated conditioned space for charging is needed, as well as electronics. Will you use robot vacuums (highly recommend)? If so, where will they park to charge that is hidden yet easily accessible.

All of the things I mention may have already been discussed, but I thought I'd mention them in case they haven't or if they seem petty now. Retrofitting them in the future is difficult. As I plan a house on acreage each of these things has high importance for my lifestyle in having an organized, flowing house with a large enough mudroom and laundry area for specific needs. I hope your meeting with the architect goes well! Lots of important decisions ahead!

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    last year

Regarding the outside connections:

Until the basement family room is finished, the entire inside/outside connection is going to be in the front of the house. There needs to be a man door either in the front of the garage, or into the mudroom. Right now, dirty kids are going to go in the front door, traipse through the foyer, dining room and kitchen to go potty.

Unscreened outdoor living space is rarely used around here. It just isn't a comfortable place to be. However, if you think having a side load garage is a barrier to visitors using the front door, screened front porches are often practically insurmountable objects.

I'm glad to here about the barn. That garage doesn't look nearly big enough for two cars, and everything else that has to go inside.

• Mrs Pete
    last year

A site plan is in the works, but we haven't yet received that. Of course, nobody here has the benefit of all the context needed, but just because a house is on a big lot doesn't mean it is without constraint.

Certainly true! I have 45+ acres, but a large portion of that is dedicated to farm lands, and, while it's all flat as a pancake, some portions are better-situated to make use of the main roads. However, having said that, once you've identified a spot on your land, the difference between a garage set to the side vs. an attached garage isn't significant. I really think you can make a better garage happen.

as it results in the smallest overall footprint.

Is your goal the smallest possible footprint? If so, why is that a main goal? We're not talking about something massively spread-out ... just enough separation that the garage is a separate item. Here are a couple examples:

Compared to city houses more appropriate for suburbs -- houses that incorporate the house under the main roof:

Would a side entry for this design be an improvement?

No.

Yes, a separated garage would cost more ... but some costs are worthwhile, others are not. Separating the garage changes the massing of the whole project into a house more appropriate for the site, whereas the jigs-and-jogs on your original plan serve no purpose.

As I noted, we meet with the architect tomorrow, so I will definitely be pushing on many of these ideas to make sure every option is being considered. I appreciate the continued thoughts.

Good for you for being open-minded and considering these ideas ... even if you end up rejecting some, you'll know you've done your due dilligence.

Sure, the most cost efficient design to build might be a pure rectangle, but that would be boring.

Nope. A plain rectangle can be "too plain", but it also can end up looking great -- a small porch or gable and landscaping make all the difference in the world. Examples:

I can understand your viewpoint, I love natural daylight, but where would those windows go that would add more light?

Are we talking about the same thing? If this small garage were removed, the living room could have more natural light and the shower could have a small fixed window (or light blocks). Light from two directions would absolutely make for a nicer living room.

I think a shed would kind of ruin the ambiance.

Maybe if you're thinking of a metal shed dumped off a truck.

if I were to buy a new one today, same brand, same size (10x12) it would be over $3k, not including delivery or the foundation, so all in it would probably be $4k.

Admittedly, I live in a low cost of living area, but I replaced a shed -- oh, it's been a decade -- for a hair over $1000. Ours is hidden by a row of holly, so it's nothing special.

Rule-of-thumb that I've read (don't have enough experience to say it's 100% truthful) is that porches and garages tend to cost 50-60% to build as much as interior spaces.

You mention dogs. Providing space for them makes life easier and cleaner. Where they eat, sleep, and access the house in wet weather is all important.

Good point. If I could magically make one thing appear in my house, it'd be a doggie door.

Where will you store vacuums and cleaning supplies for easy access?

Will you use robot vacuums (highly recommend)? If so, where will they park to charge that is hidden yet easily accessible.

Two more good points. I am highly in favor of a centrally located broom closet to manage these things ... plus storage for light bulbs, extension cords and the other necessities of life that clutter up your spaces. Yet we so rarely see a broom closet in house plans!

I have a walk-in cleaning closet inside my large hall bathroom, and I don't recommend that. I wish it were in the hallway ... no, it's not that someone's in the bathroom, it's that I have to go into the bathroom, then open the closet door, which then blocks me from getting back to the hall. It's just cumbersome.

• Kelly M
    last year

OK more than 1 thing :)

That tight spot at the pantry end of the island is too tight to be functional. I would want 42" minimum. Reduce the island if you want to walk around it much.

Moving the garage away enough to get an extra window or two is worth it IMO.

It does depend on the orientation, what quality and timing of the light it will bring.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

@Mrs. Pete--great suggestions and visuals!!