SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westes

Where is a Good Forum to Advertise for Online Artists?

Is there an online marketplace for artists looking for temporary jobs? Some tasks I need help with:

• Carefully stripping paint on some old concrete statues and then aging them
  • Experimenting with custom paint jobs on kitchen cabinet doors
  • Repairing a cracked plastic garden statue

I do not want to find professional cabinet makers. I want an artist. I want someone whose primary skill set is creativity and the ability to apply that creativity to different types of media. Said differently, I would rather pay an individual $1000 for her time to try different experiments than to pay a cabinet shop $10K for a standard product in a catalog. I tried to find painters to work on the statue, but all of them are using sand blasters that would destroy the concrete statues. I need a gentler and more time-consuming approach. An artist with painting experience on concrete would be ideal.

The problems I have found with these specific job sites:

• Craigslist: 40% of the responses appear to be criminals, and another 40% appear to be scammers
  • Facebook: no one replies in the artist forums. No one who does reply ever follows up.
  • care.com: An incredibly poorly implemented website that breaks as often as it works. The workers there are all college-age and extremely flaky people. There is a massive problem with people having passive-aggressive personalities and not being able to say yes or no to almost any question. Basic inability to follow up. Don't call when they say they will call. Don't show up for jobs. I had one lady from that site show up for a garden job and she put poison on my plants and they died!

In 2023 I cannot believe that no one runs a jobs site for artists who are local. It seems like an obvious need since that community tends to survive on contract work. How can I find some local artists?

Comments (5)