SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midatlantichome

The Eternal Question: How do I make my 60s Colonial attractive?

Trying to make my 60s colonial more charming on a shoestring budget. Attached are photos 1. with the 60s faux louvered shutters on the 1st floor and 2. with the shutters removed.

I am definitely not married to the green color of the 2nd floor shutters and have pretty much decided to paint the brick BM "Acadia White".

I always thought a poured concrete front porch, posts, some kind of portico (maybe with a gabled roof?), and improved walkway would really help but my light beer budget is giving my champagne tastes a reality check.

Have been thinking of putting in larger windows on the first floor (DIY) but my husband is not exactly excited for that project so maybe some window boxes for now?

I don't know, it just looks like a box with no interested. Suggestions very much appreciated!!

Comments (53)

• Mid-Atlantic Home
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for the awesome suggestions! I love the ideas of painting the aprons under the windows! Both cream and a color to blend with the brick sound great to me - any thoughts on a contrasting neutral?

A new front door has been on my mind, but unfortunately is not in the budget right now - so paint it? Its fiberglass stained to look like wood currently, painting it would mean no going back to this look. Maybe a good thing? I have always loved black front doors, but not with this style of glass.

Black shutters would be my first choice - but three of my neighbors have just updated their shutters to black so maybe a dark blue would be a better fit. Classic blue shutters, red door look?

The landscaping ideas are great!! Definitely will work on that.

I know painted brick has been overtaking lovely brick homes - this brick isn't the prettiest color so maybe something different would freshen it up. I was thinking the BM Acadia White to compliment the siding color. This is my childhood home I purchased from my parents so I've looked at the brick for a long time haha. It would be a DIY so I am not rushing to start on the front yet.

Thank you again and really appreciate the help!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year
    last modified: last year

IMO if you want to instantly devalue the home paint the brick , if not choose a color for the siding that works with the brick. Those shutters on the main floor windows are not good and do not belong on those windows IMO remove all the shutters then do the siding and leave the door color for last . IMO all windows should be the same so either all grids or no grids not a mix. I like this look with all the trim the same as the siding and I love this green with your brick.

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Related Discussions

how do i make my spider plant have babies?

Q

Comments (37)
    so, what's the answer? cause i bought my spider plant, already growing, about 3 years ago (give or take) and ive never seen a baby . h**l ive never even had a full bushy plant despite; the south facing window, soaking and drying completely for water (twice a month ill say), i feed liquid fish fertilizer (2-3-0) and replace the potassium with bimonthly banana peels (i prefer organics for plants) . its hanging in a basket .. i changed the soil this summer so i know the tube roots are thriving (actually wasnt prepared for them and scared the begeebys out myself hahaha) . my only thought upon reading above posts ; could i have repotted too soon and didn't let the roots get hugged? cause i assumed like most other plants if you give more space for roots, the more intricate the roots become, the stronger the plant .. is that wrong? helpp !! i want plant babies !
    ...See More

How to make home elevation more attractive ?

Q

Comments (45)
    It looks like a generic tract home in a builder neighborhood similar to where we used to live. I would accept it for what it is and not spend too much on the house. The only things I'd do would be to upgrade the front door and mailbox, edge the walkway and driveway with bricks to match the house, plant a tree and fill out the shrubbery. Hang seasonal wreaths on your new front door and maybe add some urns with decorative plants on either side of the porch. Eventually I might replace the cheap builder grade lanterns with nicer and larger ones. Anything else is honestly overkill for that house and neighborhood. As for replacing the brick with siding I wouldn't do that because it will make your house worth less. I hate houses with brick on just front but in a neighborhood with brick fronts it will make your house stand out not in a good way because buyers will expect the brick.
    ...See More

How to make your offer attractive without too much more money

Q

Comments (23)
    Yes. The only contingency was financing the last 50k. It wasn't contingent on selling their house. I am recommending that they not roll over their CDs for a few months so that they can make an all cash offer. In addition we should keep more money in the checking account in case we need to help. Economy is hot around here. People complain we're still in a recession (lol?), but bidding wars for senior cottages? Hour wait to get into the Italian restaurant? At least you can eat there. Some places you just can't go. Anyway, on to the next idea.
    ...See More

Eternal questions: gas vs dual fuel, open vs sealed burners

Q

Comments (23)
    @Timothy Fisher ”would you consider triply pans as highly conductive?” There are huge differences in these pans. This guy has done a lot of studies and ranks some here. https://www.centurylife.org/cookware-even-heating-rankings-butane-propane-natural-gas-etc/ The nonsticks are all pretty good because they tend to be aluminum. I think you would almost have to try the burner to see how much flare it has on high. Also I don’t see 3 rings but two. I guess three choices, inner, outer ring or both. This is a screen shot from a video of GE’s burner with a 12” pan. I don’t know if this is the highest heat. Typically on this type of a dual burner the middle burner doesn’t carry many BTUs so still basically a single ring burner. As you turn this up the burner ports are along side the rays and the flame stays to the middle. This is why it is good for woks. This may be one of the smaller burners but the principle is the same. if you cook with a lot of wider pans on high heat, the GE is probably fine.
    ...See More
  • Mid-Atlantic Home
    Original Author
    last year

I love that green with the brick for a siding color and also agree about all the windows being the same!! These changes are unfortunately cost prohibitive.

The vinyl siding was recently replaced (not my color choice, but many years of life left) and while I would absolutely love to update all of the windows to ones with colonial grids - that may be more along the lines of Veuve Clicquot than Coors. Definitely on my list for the future!

I'm so glad to get reassurance about the 1st story shutters! I was second guessing myself after taking them off because I had never seen the house without them. I will absolutely hold off on painting the brick. I love the trim color the same color as the siding too - timeless. Is it possible with vinyl siding and vinyl windows???

Thanks so much for the beautiful inspiration picture and suggestions! Love your input and need all of the help and creativity haha

• HU-787167202
    last year

Can't you buy removeable grids that will fit the windows needing some? Then remove the shutters and color match the siding and paint the windows and their trim to match.

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked HU-787167202
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

You have to decide if you're going to just slap some 'lipstick' on the house and call it a day, or if you're going to do what's necessary to improve a typical colonial. These homes are notoriously dark because of the small windows. That's where I would begin.

A color scheme like you see below involves all aspects and materials and you'll have to actually use an app to see the possible variations of what can be accommplished.

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • ptreckel
    last year

The best thing that you can do is get a landscape plan. Evergreen plant material beneath your windows (NOT window boxes) will mask the panels beneath your first floor windows. Don’t think in terms of rows of things. Consider curved planting beds. I suggest you invest a consulting fee with a qualified landscape designer in your area. A one or two hour consultation, a walk through of your yard. TAKE NOTES. One $250 consultation 30 years ago and I am still implementing aspects of the ideas this wonderful, creative, thoughtful designer suggested. From patios (3) to fencing (wrought iron), to a custom trellis with a hydrangea, to a huge focal point urn outside a picture window, to a flagstone walk. 30 years later…. We have the home AND landscape of our dreams. And we did it over time…. Good luck with your lovely home!

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked ptreckel
  • ffpalms
    last year

I like your idea of putting window boxes on the upper windows. I love the inspiration photo BeverlyFLADeziner posted. It shows that even empty, the boxes visually enlarge the windows. ptreckel’s planting ideas that would mask the panels on the first floor would help ground the house to the landscaping.

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked ffpalms
  • partim
    last year

Your house is attractively proportioned and won't need much tweaking to bring out its charm.

I like the black upper shutters and I don't think it matters one bit that your neighbours have black shutters too. Your windows will look too small if you remove them. The light green looks good in the inspiration picture, but your brick colour is different and the proportions are different. I think it would be a mistake to paint any part of your house this colour.

I agree with painting the white area under the lower windows. Look for a "camouflage" colour that will blend into the brick. Similar to the brick, but more gray/dull and a bit darker. Use the same brown/gray to paint the downspouts that go down the brick, and also the trim around the front door. I think a dark green would look good with your brick. Because of your cream siding, I think a green looks better than a blue. Use the same paint to paint, for example, a wood chair or bench beside the front door.

Better landscaping would give you a big bang for your buck. Use evergreens to visually tie your house to the ground, year round. Make the bed deep enough that the evergreens don't touch the house, when they're at their mature height and width. Aim to have the base of the house covered at maturity. Fill the spaces with some annuals until the evergreens are larger. If you want to add more annuals or perennials later, add them in front of the evergreens.

The tree to the left looks like it's been pruned hard, and may be past its prime. Consider removing it.

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked partim
  • marmiegard_z7b
    last year

Yes to keeping brick and painting siding a softer medium color, doesn’t have to match brick per se, but make house mass look unified and not one part in top of the other. The example posted of sage is nice, or something similar tgat works with your brick.

Then the landscaping. You may need a local landscape designer for that. But do beware of cookie- cutter designs and planting things that get too big, it too close to house. I had that problem with a designer who was associated with a fine local independent nursery but he turned out to be not very skilled.

I guess there are buy- install economics of a one & done installation, but if you can get a talented planner & pay appropriately for the design, then you could do it in stages. Plus a lot depends on how you are able to water new plantings for the first year or 2.

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked marmiegard_z7b
  • Sigrid
    last year

No to painting the brick. The shutters on the first floor look odd, remove them. The white on the first floor doesn't match the siding. I'd pick a color that you like. I like @Patricia Colwell Consulting 's green, but a slate blue would work, too. Or you could paint the first floor cream or the second floor white. Pick a better shutter color.

A hard no on window boxes. I'm an avid gardener and have window boxes put in by the former owner that I curse. They are hard to keep looking nice. Sure, when photoshopped in, they look great. When someone recently bought some lovely plants and put them in, they look great. But keeping them looking good most of the year? That is not easy. For an avid gardener.

The other thing is, your house is pretty attractive. With a better paint job, it will be good-looking. It's not a wow, but most of us don't have wows for homes, just like most of us don't have drop-dead gorgeous husbands. They are warm, loving, decent-looking great guys. We love them for all the things they are, even if they'll never be modeling for GQ. Take the same approach with your house. Love it for what it is, rather than thinking of all the other houses that are better-looking than it.

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked Sigrid
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Paint all the shutters a light to medium grey to match the roof and the aprons on the lower level too to make it more cohesive..add two big black planters with tall boxwoods to flank the porch…I love the red door with your brick so would keep that…no flower boxes not needed and you will not use them..

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • pat1250
    last year

No window boxes on the 2nd floor……
    From experience they look lovely but are a PITA t8 maintain.

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked pat1250
  • partim
    last year

Joining the chorus against window boxes. Even when you spend waaaay more time and money than you thought you would, the results are disappointing. Very messy too against the side of the house. (I am an experienced gardener.)

LOL zero stars, do not recommend!

• Kelly Jones
    last year

I agree to get rid of the bottom shutters and paint under those windows to blend with the brick.

You might also consider painting the upper shutters in a medium to charcoal gray.

Add some tall planters on both sides of a navy colored door.

Then you might add a wide curved sidewalk leading to the front door and adding a couple chairs with a table between.

Getting a well thought out landscaping plan will also go a very long way to add interest to an already very nice home.

Here's a very crude drawing of what those small changes would look like, minus the overall landscaping.

Please share with us what you come up with!

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked Kelly Jones
  • kazzh
    last year

As many have suggested - a cohesive paint plan will bring your childhood home forward in time, but I note Patricia, in her first image, has enlarged the ground floor windows so there is a smaller apron below and more window. If your budget could extend to changing the lower windows I think you will gain so much from the added interior light and the balancing of the exterior that you will not even need to worry about any verandah posts or debating whether the shutters should be removed.

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked kazzh
  • Mary Iverson
    last year

Not gray!

Gray is O V E R

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked Mary Iverson
  • RedRyder
    last year

@partim brought in a beautiful deep evergreen color for the top shutters. I would use that on the door and paint the lower (glaring) white to match the brick, just as she posted.

Then spend your money on landscaping. We have all pushed that idea because the lack of it makes the house look naked. And I agree with removal of the tree. It is past it’s prime and gives a sad look to the front of your property.

@Sigrid - thanks for the morning humor about husbands. 😂

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked RedRyder
  • beeboo22
    last year

You’ve gotten great advice here. With a limited budget, you have to make a plan for incremental changes over time. Start with the easy, cheaper options you can DIY (probably paint and plants).

Also, try to love your home for what it is. We bought a 1963 ranch when first married and I had grand ideas about how to make it more craftsman since a ranch is so “boring.” We never had money for my big ideas, so we made small tweaks over the years and I came to love that house for its solid and simple practicality.

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked beeboo22
  • Sigrid
    last year

Don't remove a tree just because it hasn't leafed out yet and looks dead in one picture.

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked Sigrid
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

You have a grey roof you really can’t fight possibly using grey to pull it all together..and no grey is not out..it is a neutral will be timeless….

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • partim
    last year

@Sigrid I agree with your comment "Don't remove a tree just because it hasn't leafed out yet and looks dead in one picture."

But based on the trunk size and the shape of the branches, it looks to me like a too-large tree that has been badly pruned to keep it from damaging the house. You can see where the ends of the branches have been cut off, and the tree has sent out a bunch of brushy twigs behind the cut. There are plenty of those where I live - planted too close to the house 30-40 years ago.

Given the age of the house, it may be time to replace it with a tree that is better suited to that location size-wise. Maybe even a native tree to where you live, to support the environment.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    last year

Too many times, those trees aren't the problem. The problem is the people who don't know any better, and just think the trees are a problem. So too many trees that are either large, or are going to get large get taken down from needless fear. Almost all of those 'native trees' that 'support the environment' are big, except for the ones that get really big.

So no, we need to know an awful lot more about that tree to responsibly recommend removing it.

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • partim
    last year

Where I live in Toronto, Serviceberry is a smaller native tree that is often used to replace the non-native birches that were so popular 50 years ago when our subdivision was new.  Those birches are at the end of their life now. As you say, some native trees such as the oaks are sadly too large for us here on smaller city lots.

• ffpalms
    last year

The post from Home Interiors with Ease about the gray roof needing to be addressed led me to modify the color scheme. The siding to match the brick, but change the trim to charcoal. I agree that you wouldn’t want to take care of window boxes on a second story, so a trim piece instead to give the same effect of lengthening the windows might be nice.

• Mid-Atlantic Home
    Original Author
    last year

I can't thank everyone enough for all of the fabulous suggestions and replies! The edited photos of everyone's ideas are so so appreciated and have been immensely helpful and inspiring.

The tree currently without leaves will not be removed. It is a beautiful mature Japanese maple that will remain until the end of its life. The odd green behind it in Picture 1 was a japonicus shrub tree that has already been cut down.

The bottom shutters are off the house and thanks largely to your fabulous example photos and suggestions my husband is now full speed ahead on putting in new 1st story windows that fill most of the white apron space (though not on the garage bc its an uninsulated space). My next question will most likely be - what do you put in the 12 inch gap between the brick and new windows??

I so appreciate all of the landscaping advice and will be working on a plan asap!

A controversial note: while I am not painting the brick front of the house yet, I am painting the back the off-white color I mentioned. Will update this post with a photo when done.

Thank you so much again for the input and help! I love hearing it and look forward to more!!

• RedRyder
    last year

The bigger windows will be a huge game changer. Glad to know there is a healthy Japanese Maple there - great species and a favorite of mine. Which color scheme did you and your husband like the best? Keep us posted.

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked RedRyder
  • chekrei
    last year

I totally agree that you will get a lot of pleasure out of some sort of landscape plan - one thing that would be simple would be to mulch a much more generous circle under your Japanese maple, your mulch could extend to the edges of the tree's branches for the right proportion, and you could create a hard boundary with brick that matches the color of your house. The curve of a circle will soften all the straight lines of the house.

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked chekrei
  • betsey1001
    last year

As I understand what you have written, you have relatively new vinyl siding on the second storey facade, so that color will remain the same and can't (or shouldn't) be changed. (I don't know if vinyl siding takes well to painting.) I had window boxes on the ground level of my house. Having window boxes on the second storey will be a royal pain for you to maintain. I advise against it.

I'm going to swim against the tide: I like the decorative panels below the first floor windows. I recommend that you think long and hard before replacing the windows on the main body of the house but not on the garage. Your house has symmetry. Having very different windows on different sections of the first floor will ruin the design. I think that either all of the windows on the lower level should be replaced or none of them should be replaced. Further, having a 12" band of trim between the brick and the bottom of the new windows will look odd. I'm afraid that it will look like a "remuddle" instead of a "remodel."

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked betsey1001
  • C G
    last year

I actually like your house! But I’m often a love the home you’re with kind of person. As someone with painted brick, I would advise not to. It’s not good for the brick (keeps in moisture) and adds a lot of upkeep. I saw you said you are painting the back but if you haven’t started, look into a German schmear or limewashing if you want light color. And I 100% agree with everyone commenting on working on landscaping. It can completely transform the look.

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked C G
  • redoredone
    last year
    • For several reasons, we had to paint the brick when we purchased our home and remodeled it. Seven years later and no problems whatsoever! The house wasn't just outdated, it was actually ugly, but the lake location was perfect. Since the remodel, we love our beautiful home, but that wouldn't have been possible without painting the brick.
    Mid-Atlantic Home thanked redoredone
  • lynda18901
    last year

Since the roof will remain, use that as a major factor in how the roof will work together with any colors you choose for shutters, trim and even the future painting of the brick. Many "grey" roofs are the color "weathered wood" which will go well with green grey undertones. If you have a weathered wood roof, test to see if Benjamin More Hale Navy will work for door or shutters. I agree that landscaping would work well in defining your home's curb appeal.

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked lynda18901
  • Mary Dekker
    last year

We updated our home by painting the siding (it was gold) to a muted green, and painted our shutters a color that blended with the brick. In addition we , updated our front door and all the outdoor lighting. We also redid our driveway, making our home look almost new.

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked Mary Dekker
  • Mary Dekker
    last year

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked Mary Dekker
  • terrib962
    last year

Remove the fake shutters from upstairs also. Make the colors blend better - cannot tell color of roof, but make house colors blend - all cool or all warm colors, not mixed up.

Mid-Atlantic Home thanked terrib962
  • jordanmicayla
    last year

First add white/cream shutters next to your front door mount lighting in the shutters

Second as tim and moneys allow add shallow concrete poch so that you can add wiod columns playing up the color if uour screan/frint door and add wooden arches to columns soften the front. Minimal landscape beds with white rock not mulch, will help as well. Add plants later again as the budget allows highly recommend a walk way leading to the front door.

• jordanmicayla
    last year

• Meg O
    last year

I'd paint the shutters, but painted white brick is already dated. It also peels and looks awful if not done very well with the right paint.

There is a new trend if using creamy, almost early 90s colour pallets in a new way. Its very warm, neutral and monochromatic.

Large trees make a house look rich. Rich fancy neighbourhoods all have large trees. Check with an arborist before you take down anything, and its a wise move to get a professional to take down any trees near your house.

• Mid-Atlantic Home
    Original Author
    9 months ago

Small update… sans lower shutters & larger right side windows 😊

• redoredone
    9 months ago

You're on your way! The longer windows look good!

• kazzh
    9 months ago

You must be getting so much more light inside. The lowered window looks great!

• happyleg
    9 months ago

The white squares under the lower windows bug me are you going to paint them charcoal that's in the brick and what color are those shutters?

• happyleg
    2 months ago

Hello I hope all is going well with you I don't see any updates here do you have any updates or did something else happen that you haven't been here? Thank you

• Mid-Atlantic Home
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

Almost a year later!

Progress can def be slow with DIY, but the larger lower windows are in and the light is great and was much needed.

Tried painting the surrounds a coordinating charcoal, then grayish green, and they both looked awful so back to white it is for now.

Lower window boxes as the next addition?

Thinking about similar length grid windows for the uppers (with different shutters to size), but tackling that project is intimidating as we haven't done window replacement with siding and needing flashing before.

Landscaping is on the back burner - still dreaming of a front porch with simple columns in the space under the overhang. Bigger dreams of a brick or stone walkway to the front door.

We painted the door BM Cochineal Red for some brighter color (slight Christmas effect with the green shutters) but viewing the whole exterior as a process and in flux.

Ever debating painting the brick cream (slightly whiter than the cream of the siding). I know it can be foolish to paint perfectly good brick for a myriad of reasons and often find myself on the keep unpainted side of the fence when discussing, but do love how painted brick can look and am so tired of this brick's brown but also somehow pinkish color. I know many are against, anyone on the go for it side?

So appreciate your opinions and ideas and find them super helpful - thanks again for your thoughts and looking forward to more!

Also I need to power wash :D

• redoredone
    last month

You are going to get all sorts of comments about NOT painting your brick and how you will regret it if you do. We remodeled an older home and had no choice, for several reasons, about painting our brick.

Brick needs to breathe, so consult experts about the right paint to use and hire painters who have painted brick before.

it has been 8 years since we painted and we don't have peeling or chipped paint. It's beautiful! Good luck, whatever you decide to do.

• happyleg
    last month
    last modified: last month

You could get those wicker type of boxes but they're not real quicker Brylane Home.com has them and they can sit in front of each window on the porch or you could do low lion bushes that flower in front of each window in front of the porch I think the upper part of the house needs to match whatever color you paint the bottom part of the house pick the color that you want if it's a white paint the lower part that color or pick a color in the brick do not paint the brick the brick needs to breathe you could always go to a lighter shade that's in the brick couple Shades lighter would be fine

• glschisler
    last month

I would definitely paint the brick if it were my home. But as mentioned, get the appropriate paint! Good Luck!

• glschisler
    last month

Your lower windows look great.,

• PRO
    lisedv
    last month

One idea with painted bricks...

• partim
    last month

Planting evergreen shrubs will give you a big bang for your buck. And please consider a different front door colour. The red is clashing with the brick.