SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waldina

Wrong Mirror for Powder Room?

Dina R.M.
last year
last modified: last year

I am doing a powder room revamp and feel like I didn’t get the right mirror for the space. Would a gold mirror be better?? Scared that once I add a gold faucet/fixtures that it might be too much gold! Maybe a round mirror instead of rectangular?

I thought I’d fill the walls with portrait style paintings but now I feel like a printed wallpaper would be a nice touch and give the room some pattern. Going for a moody/eclectic/Parisian look.

Comments (52)

• Tara
    last year

To me the frame feel heavy. Maybe if the frame was narrower and a lighter color? I don't, I kinda like the brown, but it does feel a bit heavy.

• Dina R.M.
    Original Author
    last year

Totally agree that the frame is too heavy!

• Related Discussions

is it odd or 'wrong' to have a powder room in the kitchen

Q

Comments (22)
    I have an 1820-30 one-bedroom, 1.5 bath cottage, one room wide, three rooms deep -- with no hallway -- on the ground floor. the layout is, moving from the street: first room is the living room, second room is the dining room, and third room is the kitchen. The stairs leading to the second level (formerly attic space, now the bedroom and a full bath) are located in the kitchen, and yes, I have a teeny tiny powder room (my architect calls it a 1/4 bath) under the stairs: so, in the kitchen. The house is small (1050 square feet), so I was grateful just to have a powder room downstairs at all. I never thought about this question of it being in the kitchen before today! I have a full bath upstairs, and so I just tell my guests where each bath is, and they go to whichever one they want or whichever is available. One good tip another response mentioned: there is a very loud exhaust fan in that powder room. It was there when I bought the house, and I am glad to have it. Definitely a good idea. :-)
    ...See More

Accent wall behind my sink mirror in powder room?

Q

Comments (2)
    Those elements look pretty. Might do a herringbone pattern on wall with similar material to the hexagon. It would help if you could do a quick sketch of the room. Any lighting selected? Hardware?
    ...See More

powder room mirror

Q

Comments (11)
    I have that pedestal sink. I think the mirror, even with a faucet switch, is too heavy and overwhelming for that sink. Your plan for a lighter, perhaps maybe just beveled mirror would be a good one? The room has beautiful mouldings and a heavy mirror frame detracts from them.
    ...See More

Oval mirror in powder room

Q

Comments (0)
    We are remodeling our powder room. I am thinking about putting an oval mirror in our powder room. The vanity is 36 inches and is enclosed on both sides with walls. The sink is 19 1/2 inches. The ceiling is 8"tall. What size mirror should I get? I am also putting up a new light above the mirror. Ideas about light size? Thanks.
    ...See More
  • la_la Girl
    last year

I don't mind it - it's pretty simple and doesn't call attention to itself, which I think is nice because there are other "stars" in the space.

• L.D. Johnson
    last year

Not a pro, but my first thought looking at your photo is that the mirror exaggerates the feeling of being "watched" in the bathroom! I think portraits are not the best option in the space.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

because the wainscot is up so high, I don't think a round mirror is going to fit (if it did, it would have to be pretty small)

I think what you have looks fine. You have black, so the frame plays off of that.

have you thought about ditching the skirt and doing a diff sink console?

something like this one w/a dark wallpaper?

this black and gold one would fit the style

Wildy Black Oak Bathroom Vanity Set, 36", Without Mirror · More Info

have you considered paining the inside tray ceiling a black?

or, you could wallpaper the ceiling w/an eclectic paper. they have the peel and stick papers that are pretty easy to do

• ilikefriday
    last year

I love the portraits! I think the mirror is fine and your bathroom will be stunning. I absolutely love the idea of people watching you.

• Dina R.M.
    Original Author
    last year

@Beth H. : we actually have a similar sink style (the open kind but with silver legs). Its not functional for us because there is no storage space and we need storage in there (we have a huge problem with storage in our old house). Was going to replace sink console with a cabinet but everything I liked was so expensive so I just threw the skirt on there to cover the silver for now. Love the idea of the stick on wallpaper on the ceiling vs. all the walls. I’ll have to look into that and my husband would probably prefer that over and all over wallpaper!

• Dina R.M.
    Original Author
    last year

@ilikefriday I’m so happy to hear you love the portraits! I tend to like unique (sometimes weird) things and wanted to make this room interesting!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

I like the style of this sink. if you can find a round mirror like this that fits that spot, it could work.

love the black marble consoles.

similar wainscot, parisian wallpaper. black window trim

another option is mirroring the entire wall (which makes it look bigger) and trimming it out in the black trim

you could do a beveled frame mirror like one of these. very french looking

sconces w/shades on either side, also french

Paint the ceiling a contrasting color and bring in a handing light

black paper options

https://www.wayfair.com/decor-pillows/sb1/black-wallpaper-c1861000-a85974~302489.html

as for storage, can you do any type of built in in the walls?

or is there room for cubbies or something behind the door?

• jackowskib
    last year

Perhaps a simple beveled mirror same size, no frame. Let the different art frames stand out. Love the floor and style of the room.

• ilikefriday
    last year

Oh I am particularly attracted to portraits of people looking at other portraits as well as other people in the house. I have several examples of this in my house. I am drawn to weird and unique design too!

• Dina R.M.
    Original Author
    last year

@Beth H. : I love those sinks too!! wonder if that style of sink would be less expensive than a cabinet…probably not! The beveled mirror is a good idea and I actually have a round beveled mirror I can test out in that space. I could add a nice rack above the door for some extra storage room.

• palimpsest
    last year

Here it is painted the wall color

• ilikefriday
    last year

It does not solve the storage problem but you can change the silver legs of the sink with a $8 tube of gold or black RubNBuff.

• PRO
  • ptreckel
    last year

I love the curvy gold mirrors posted, above. They pick up on the shape of your sink. I would suggest a thick banding of black moire ribbon a few inches above the bottom of your sink skirt. I LOVE the sink skirt. It softens the hard edges of your bathroom. A black floral wallpaper on the ceiling would be fabulous!

• RedRyder
    last year

The gold mirrors from Beverly seem in tune with your PR.

For a “French” feeling? It’s already halfway there. For me, the fixture is the outlier. Something more delicate (or an antique) would be more the style I think you’re going for.

Wallpaper always makes a bathroom more dramatic. Peel and stick can be tricky to install but easier to take off. Regular glue-backed is a much easier install. Doing it with your husband is the first step towards divorce….

I love what you’re doing with this bathroom! The sinks that Beth posted are very expensive. Stay with your skirted one. It works.

I’ll try to find examples of lights I’m thinking of, but that bathroom deserves something unique.

• RedRyder
    last year

Ideas:

• Dina R.M.
    Original Author
    last year

@RedRyder thank you for your suggestions! we actually just installed that vanity light and there is no way I’ll be able to convince my husband to change it again (and he doesn’t want to have electrical work done to add sconces…he refuses any renovations!).

We keep looking at this swan faucet, maybe this could be that unique touch I need if I can’t change the lighting??

• Dina R.M.
    Original Author
    last year

@RedRyder and I can also try to find more antique looking toilet

paper and towel holders instead of just ordering something from amazon!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Dina, about 10 yrs ago we flipped a house (now a rental) but I wanted to go w/carrara in the spare bathroom. I wanted a piece of funirture for the vanity so I found a chest on craigslist that was the right width. Painted it a glossy black, topped it w/a marble remnant for $50 (they cut it for me) and found this marble sink on clearance for $30! crystal knobs.

there are drawers inside so we modified those for the plumbing. pretty easy to do. whole thing cost lest than $200.

you could find something like this french looking piece too, get custom hardware for it.

any of these would also work. just be open to a little diy or thrifting

even something like this you could find in a piece of furniture. spray the legs gold.

you could also do a wood table/console and go for the french country

get one of these retro french provencial nightstands or small chests, paint it, spray the hardware

(this is a large one, but imagine a small nightstand side) top it w/a remnant piece of black or white marble or granite (they're cheap. visit a fabricator shop or look on craigslist) Paint the piece black or white (or another color) custom hardware if you like

• ptreckel
    last year

I am really loving the modern lights with the curvy sink AND sink skirt. And the black and white. And the portraits. Yes to gold faucet and handles, but then need not be fancy. Modern would work. There is a cool modern vibe to the room with the black and white and the thin gold frame for the beautiful portrait above the toilet. Your modern toilet is fine. You don’t want to go in a kitschy direction. But a BOLD black and white/black floral paper on the ceiling would look smashing! Again…i like the modern look with a nod to the traditional that you have going here. Keep leaning in that direction!

• RedRyder
    last year

Agree with @ptreckel that a black and white wallpaper can be a huge statement- in a good way. Not loving the fancy swan faucet because the thought of cleaning it makes me cringe.

Changing the mirror, putting up wallpaper and doing an antique/interesting vanity like Beth suggested will finish it up nicely. Leave your modern toilet there. Not a design element that’s worth any time or money right now.

There are SO MANY fantastic b&w papers to choose from.

I’ll let go of the fixture idea. 😊

• RedRyder
    last year

Some b&w ideas

• RedRyder
    last year

More

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

I do like what you’ve done to this bathroom. I agree with most suggestions made. The mirror is ok - the frame style matches the portrait frames. But, I agree a gold frame would be good too, I like the idea of the skirt on sink for needed storage but for me, the color is off. I’m visualizing a black & white print such as a toile or script - anything that gives a nod to the Parisian look, I’m also looking at the wooden blinds on window - I think a softer blind / shade & in the same color as walls would be much better. Those shades are the first thing I see when looking at picturel - they’re too dominant for me. I love the portraits - a very surprising item to find in a bathroom - that’s a good thing - great originality.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

I actually like it. It works well with the beadboard paneling. Not a fan of the skirted sink, however. Does the sink need the skirt? Are you trying to cover the plumbing? If so, there are decorative p-traps you can buy (Kohler makes nice ones) that will match the finish of your faucet.

We put a decorative p-trap in this bathroom:

Beauty and the Baths: Jewel Box Powder Room · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Sabrina, I think she mentioned needing storage so she hides everything w/the skirt. that's why I posted some alternative storage suggestions. don't know if she has the room for them though

• amykath
    last year

If someone else has mentioned this already, apologies. I think you need a mirror shape something other than a square or recatangle as it is taking away from your lovely art.

• Maureen
    last year

Parisian inspired

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

@Beth H. : Ah! I missed that part in the OP's post. Thanks for clarifying. If that's the case, I'd opt for fabric for the skirt that's a bit less bulky and maybe has a pattern to it. Doing box pleats would make the fabric more streamlined. Like this:

Handsome San Francisco · More Info

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

@Sabrina Alfin Interiors Love that skirt! The print is what I had in mind when suggested a black / white parisian theme. This tailored box pleat is so pretty & would be perfect in @Dina R.M. bathroom!

• Dina R.M.
    Original Author
    last year

@Maureen that is my favorite bathroom!!!! I actually added that to my inspo board on pinterest. Need to figure out where to get a faucet like that one.

• ilikefriday
    last year

@Dina R.M. Which faucet are you referring to, the tall or short one?

• Maureen
    last year

Try searching vintage brass bathroom faucet. Prices can be crazy, but found this one and thought you might like. A curve could be nice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144839595184?norover=1&siteid=1&mkevt=1&mkcid=16&chn=psoc

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Keep hardware simple.

• RedRyder
    last year

Using a more “deliberate” fabric on the skirt (and keeping in mind you may want wallpaper) will allow you to stay on budget. Nothing wrong with the skirt, just think about “elevating” the look. Sabrina nailed it.

I also love the faucet that @Maureen just posted.

• lyndafr
    last year

Paint the existing mirror frame gold to match the light fixture. Since you have an "old world" look, reframe the adjacent art piece with a more appropriate old gold gilded frame. Hunt the thrift stores! Currently the two simple rectangular frames side-by-side add no focal point for the eye. A new frame on the art will achieve that and place less focus on the mirror...If you still don't like the mirror frame consider painting it the wall color which will make it recede completely.

• Gina Cirelli
    last year

I think since you're going with a cottage style with the sink skirt that you need to echo that in the mirror design. The one you have now seems a bit too traditional to me. If you didn't want to go with an oblong mirror, those folks who are saying go gold have the right idea. I think it just needs to be fancier, no matter what color you go with. Those mirrors that look like gilt carved wood come to mind, but even a whitewashed fancy wood would work if it has details to prevent it from disappearing into the wall. You need a statement piece in there, so you might as well make the mirror it.

• la_la Girl
    last year

One thing i have done in several bathrooms is hunted down a fabulous old frame in an antique store (there are usually tons of them from old paintings etc) and then get mirror cut to fit it - takes a bit of patience to find the size/color but it can look terrific (also very reasonable $$)

• HU-480796
    last year

A few comments - part your issue might be the pictures you're hanging or the height at which you are hanging them. The average human eye is about 55" above the floor - which make that height ideal for centering pictures and mirrors. With the wainscot, you might have to deviate from that and use the window as a guide. The size of the picture over the toilet in relation to the mirror isn't working. You may want to consider raising the light fixture if you keep the current mirror so could be hung a little higher - but I would opt for raising the light fixture and use a different mirror - whatever style you like best. Also, with the right tools you could use picture frame molding to frame a plate glass mirror and mount the fixture through the glass - this could give you a larger mirror and bit more flexibility with the pictures you hang adjacent to it.

• aniluap2
    last year

You have received many stellar suggestions for mirrors so I won’t be redundant. Lighting experts suggest that bathroom mirror fixtures should be placed on both sides of the mirror rather than above it. In my experience the lighting is more flattering since it does not cast shadow on the face. That would also allow for a taller mirror over the sink. If in the budget, wallpaper would be the way to go for the look you are trying to accomplish.

• HU-480796
    last year

Good point - I was thinking that moving it up would be simpler/less expensive - but side-lites would be better in the long run.

• lbafundesign
    last year

Side-lites would be so much better. I would also consider a larger mirror that hangs below the wood paneling or, if you have courage, I would lower the paneling in front of the sink.

• Karen Edmonds
    last year

Add a moody floral wallpaper. I did it in my powder room.

• Kari Lindsay
    last year

Your powder room is looking great! I agree with you, I love everything you've done, except the mirror. Something with soft edges, be it curvy, round, or oval would be lovely with that curvy sink. If it were my powder room I might consider notching the cap of the wainscotting behind the sink to accomodate a larger mirror…if the mirror is perfect for the space. Bonne chance!

• Olychick
    last year

Well, you've gotten lots of advice on many things you didn't ask for, including changing the lights when you already stated you will not be changing it. Your skirted sink looks really nice, I think; not sure why people are urging you to change it. If you do end up with wallpaper, the fabric you have will not detract or clash. Not sure why some are so adamant that you get a vanity, when what you have works for you!

Hopefully, some of the mirror suggestions are helpful.

• Archinut
    last year

IMHO your current sink is lovely, but I would change out the fabric to something more interesting- someone suggested a toile which would be pretty and appropriate. I agree that a gold mirror with a wavy frame- maybe oval or round for softness- would look better. Change out the faucet for a gold or brass one. If you don't want to wallpaper the walls, i would suggest painting the walls a moody color so there’s not such a contrast between the upper and lower walls. And I love the portraits- the more the merrier!

• PRO
    M & R Construction Services
    last year

Like some comments.   Wallpaper, try a peel and stick, I do think it can make a really good look for your theme. 

Lights, try turning them upside than the down lit.  It's a bit nicer and Easy change.