SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisas285

Uninspiring exterior…help

Lisa S
last year
last modified: last year

Brown! I never would have chosen it but here I am. At 12:00 this is how dark my front porch is…what would you do to breathe some fresh life into this darkness? Hit me with it hard, whether it be paint colors or landscaping. I’ve been bothered by this for years, so any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (13)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    last year

The small strip between the path and the plantings must be a rea PITA to mow. Remove the grass and plant a low groundcover--evergreen if possible.

Lisa S thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • Rachel Lee
    last year

I agree, lighten up all the dark brown with a creamy white from the mortar.

Lisa S thanked Rachel Lee
  • littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
    last year
    last modified: last year

I find the existing shrubs overpowering and gloomy.

It looks as though there was a good landscape design set in motion at one time, but it's past its prime. Particularly at the corners.

You need a refresh and judicious trimming. A professional can advise whether some things need completely removed. And this needs doing BEFORE any brick-painting obviously.

Very nice home.

Lisa S thanked littlebug Zone 5 Missouri
  • charles kidder
    last year

Looks like your house faces north, so on a sunny day it's going to look dark. Not much you can do about that. The most impactful thing to do is paint the non brick surfaces, including the shutters, something bright. I would paint it white and see how it looks. White is easy to paint over, so if you don't like how it looks, another color would go on easily.

Lisa S thanked charles kidder
  • PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    last year

Here are a few suggestions:

Lisa S thanked Dig Doug's Designs
  • Lisa S
    Original Author
    last year

GorgGorgeous, thank you! very inspiring!

• ginatay124
    last year

You could also do some work with your exterior lighting on your porch. Sconces and even an overhead fixture or two can be left on to illuminate the area when the sun doesn’t. Smart lighting can be programmed to run on a schedule, but even if not, LED bulbs don’t cost much to leave on.

Lisa S thanked ginatay124
  • jackowskib
    last year

The brick is beautiful! Consider painting the rest soft white and urbane bronze trim. Entryway a punch of color you love, perhaps vibrant teal. Then landscaping.

Lisa S thanked jackowskib
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

That brick is beautiful, don't fight it, work WITH it. The blue is working against it. Paint the non-brick surfaces. No white with that brick. You need a cream color; the cream in SimplyNatural's rendering is perfect. I don't like the blue shutters, though - I'd probably do dark brown that is in the brick color or just remove them altogether. I don't like gutters that are lighter than the roof, so I'd keep them brown -- the current gutters work well with your brick.

Lisa S thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • PRO
    Lisa S thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • PRO
    Lisa S thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • Lisa S
    Original Author
    last year

I don’t know which one I like better, thank you!!!