SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindsey_brady11

Primer over oil based lead paint

Lindsey Brady
last year
last modified: last year

We are renovating a house with oil based paint on the trim (windows, baseboards, crown) and doors. Everything needs a fresh coat of paint as it's an off white and I prefer a brighter white. I am assuming that there is lead in the paint due to the age of the house (1971). I haven't tested but I think it's a safe assumption.

I am looking for a primer that:

1. Will encapsulate the lead paint within reason (I'm not worried about anyone gnawing on the trim) but since I have to prime and paint anyway, I would like to do my best to cover it properly
  2. Goes on smoothly
  3. Will adhere to the oil based paint without requiring sanding (due to the high probability of lead)
  4. I can use a latex top coat without fear of it peeling off

I have read about thick encapsulating paint made for lead, but I have also read that it does not go on smoothly.

I am very paranoid about choosing the wrong primer. When we purchased our last home, the previous homeowners apparently painted the trim and doors before listing the home for sale. They did not prime the surfaces properly and used latex over the old oil paint. Everything started peeling a few weeks after we moved in and it's been a nightmare to deal with. Choosing the proper primer so that I can use latex without fear is very important to me.

I've looked at

Zinsser 123

Zinsser BONDZ

Zinsser Cover Stain

BM Stix

Any other recommendations or thoughts about the above?

Thank you so much!

Comments (3)